Samsung forum

General discussion

LN46A650 at 1920x1080 doesn't fill screen

by mkippen / October 14, 2009 9:27 AM PDT

Good afternoon

I have a Samsung LN46A650 LCD which is hooked up to a Media Center PC using HDMI. The problem i have is that the picture displayed on the TV does not fill the entire display. It leaves about 2 inches black on the left and right side, and about 1 inch black on the top and bottom.

I have it set to 16x9 and Windows7 Is showing this as the native best resolution to use for this display. I cant figure out how to make this stretch to the full display, its literally wasting several inches. I have tried everything i can, gone through the menu several times, i have tried to do a firmware update, and all without much luck.

What can i do about this, i really want to fill the display with the native resolution.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN46A650 at 1920x1080 doesn't fill screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN46A650 at 1920x1080 doesn't fill screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 14, 2009 2:59 PM PDT

mkippen,

HDMI is a pixel-per-pixel display. This means that whatever information is being sent, it will display. The most likely culprit is the video card, in which case, getting the latest driver will likely do the trick.

16:9 is the aspect ratio, and to fill the screen, you'll need a 1920x1080 source content. If the resolution of the content is less than that, it will display like you describe also.

You might also want to change the name of the HDMI input to "PC".

--HDTech

Collapse -
by mkippen / October 15, 2009 4:09 AM PDT

Thank you for your response.

I have tried this with both a new Lenovo Laptop and a Desktop pc running a brand new ATI HD 4670 graphics card. Both of them running with the output of 1920x1080 have the same issue where it does not fill the screen. I am pretty good with this stuff usually, but there is no way to adjust the width and height of the screen, I wish that the samsung TV would allow for the stretch adjustments. I can MOVE the picture up, down, left or right, but i just wish that i could expand this manually like a standard monitor.

Does changing the "name" of the output from HDMI to "PC" allow me any more options on top of this?

The fact that i have tested this with 2 completely separate computers, 2 different graphic cards makes me think that this is a setting on the TV, i dont know what else could cause this.

Thanks for your time, and your support. Ultimately i may need to run my tv at lower resolution, but that would be less than ideal.

-Mike.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 15, 2009 8:10 AM PDT

mkippen,

Try renaming the input anyway and see if that solves the issue - it may or may not, but it may prove to be a helpful option.

Make sure that overscan is at 0%, if applicable in the video card settings.

It's not possible to run the television at a lower resolution, but it can accept various different incoming resolutions as a signal.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by turbocomppro / January 7, 2010 10:28 PM PST

Just want to let people know that setting the overscan to 0% worked.

I had my PC hooked up before using the old 15 pin VGA cable (DVI to VGA) before and I got a new Denon receiver that has HDMI in and out. I have a DVI to HDMI cable hooked up to the receiver and a HDMI to HDMI from the receiver to the TV (40").

For some reason, the overscan was set to 15% (in the middle) on my PC. ATI radeon HD 3850. But it worked perfectly with the VGA input. When I hooked it up using the HDMI cable, there was about 1/2" border on each side... the overscan fixed this problem and using "Just Scan" mode on the TV fit everything on the screen perfectly.

Just want to let others know who may have the same problem and googling got you here.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.