Samsung forum

General discussion

LN46A550 Problem

by mrsmithb / October 13, 2008 1:07 PM PDT

I just got a new LN46A550. I set it up and first connected to the my cable box (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HD). The signal is 1080i with a HDMI monster cable. The issue I have noticed is a few times each second, the screen seems the best way I can describe it. It's almost like every pixel on the screen shifts up slightly then immediately back to it's original position. It's very hard to notice with a moving image, but is very noticable when all or part of the screen is static. It doesn't occur with the TV menus, and I haven't had a chance yet to check any other sources. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN46A550 Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN46A550 Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can we try a different source?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 13, 2008 3:45 PM PDT
In reply to: LN46A550 Problem

Well, the best way to initially diagnose this issue is to hook up at least one different external peripheral and see if the same issue happens with a different input.

Testing with both a different HDMI signal and component signal would be really helpful in narrowing down the source of the problem (no pun indended).

After testing, if it happens with just the cable box on different HDMI inputs, I might suggest having it changed out. If it happens with all the sources, it may be the processing or panel, in which case, we could schedule a repair.

Let's try and eliminate some of the variables we can test before scheduling either a cable box exchange or a television repair.

There's just not enough information to make a proper initial diagnosis with this information.

Keep me posted!

Collapse -
by mrsmithb / October 14, 2008 8:39 AM PDT

OK, so I tested the TV with two sources: my laptop hooked up via HDMI & PS2 connected with component cables. Neither one produced the screen shake i witnessed with the cable box. And again, it only occurs with the box set on 1080i. I gather this is a problem with the box. I don't guess it's a big problem since 720p looks just as good anyways, but I wonder if changing the box out might alleviate the problem. I guess I will give that a shot.

Collapse -
by mrsmithb / October 14, 2008 3:06 AM PDT
In reply to: LN46A550 Problem

Late last night I tried changing the settings on the cable that all HD signals were output in 720p. At this resolution, I saw no evidence of the shaking issue I experienced at 1080i.

I still plan to test some other sources after work today, both analog and digital. The only other HDMI source I own is my laptop. I suppose I can change the resolution to simulate both 1080i and 720p resolutions. More on this tonight.....

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.