Samsung forum

General discussion

LN46A550 makes loud popping/crackling sound

by mtararat / January 19, 2009 3:07 AM PST

I have had a LN46A550 and an Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver for a few months, with a DVD player and AT&T Uverse cable box connected to the receiver. Everything was fine initially, but now when I turn on the receiver and TV, there is a loud burst of popping/cracking sound produced from the TV. This sound may last 30 seconds or sometimes longer, gradually tapering off. The sound only comes from one side, the left side. I have already taken the receiver in to be checked, and the report came back that there were no problems with the receiver. More specifics:

? Even after the initial burst of sound tapers off, there is still a persistent soft popping and occasional loud pop produced from the TV.

? All connections are HDMI.

? No popping sound from audio speakers. Only from the TV.

? These popping sounds are produced even though the TV speakers are muted through the TV?s controls.

? When I connect the cable box directly to TV, there is no popping sound from the TV at all. It is only when cable box input to the TV is through the receiver that there is this horrible noise upon start up.

? When DVD is selected on receiver and DVD player is connected to receiver, there is no problem. The TV makes no popping sounds at all. It's only when CBL/SAT is selected that the problem occurs.

? I used different HDMI cables, the problem persists.

? TV has three HDMI inputs. Doesn?t matter which one used, same popping sounds happens.

? I disconnected all other sources, the problem persists.

? I disconnected all audio speakers (center, front, surround back, surround, subwoofer), the problem persists.

? I plugged the power cords from TV, receiver, other sources all into separate outlets, the problem persists.

I've probably spent 8 hours trying to figure this out. I suppose my next step would be to take the TV in to be checked, but before I go through all that effort... anybody got any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN46A550 makes loud popping/crackling sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN46A550 makes loud popping/crackling sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same issue
by Matty1239 / January 19, 2009 5:06 AM PST

I have the same set and the same problem. I contacted the seller and they said that it was normal for the set to make noise as it warms up and cools. I had to explain that it sounded like a transformer on a utility pole getting ready to explode. I contacted my cable company and they said it was the tv not the cable.(shocker)

The seller suggusted that I try to get a newer HD cable box. He stated that they are not the best quality and it may help. I have not done this yet but will let you know if any thing gets better.

M

Collapse -
SRS TS XT
by nomailx / January 19, 2009 8:49 AM PST

Be sure to turn off the SRS TS XT. (Menu - Sound)

it usually comes turned on (which is a mistake). It is to be used only when a sourround system is pluged to the TV, so it will work fine with high quality emitters but not with causal emissions.

Collapse -
by Matty1239 / January 19, 2009 8:35 PM PST
In reply to: SRS TS XT

Turned it off and we still get the sound.

Thanks for your help.

Matt

Collapse -
SRS TS XT already off
by mtararat / January 19, 2009 11:13 PM PST
In reply to: SRS TS XT

Thanks, but this menu item was already set to off.

Additionally, the sound burst problem also occurred yesterday when I had a VCR connected to the receiver using RCA and S-video cables, with HDMI to the TV.

I also just noticed that the persistent soft background crackling sound comes from the right side of the TV. The loud initial burst of popping sound, and occasional loud pop thereafter, come from the left side.

Collapse -
help, anybody?
by mtararat / February 11, 2009 10:38 PM PST

Three weeks later, still no suggestions.

Collapse -
maybe try this
by mamontano / February 11, 2009 11:04 PM PST
In reply to: help, anybody?

Digital out settings on the cable box. Change
to pcm instead of digital. I have cox cable
and i have 2 options - dolby digital or other (pcm).
I'm not having problems with either but it maybe
something to try. Do you get this noise even if
you have tv speakers turned off not muted?

Collapse -
My guess is that its all related to electric power!
by LakeOntario / July 12, 2009 12:26 PM PDT

Hope you have been able to resolve the issue by now but in case not..here's some feedback....I'm in pretty much the same situation...here are the details of my issue that i posted here:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0.html?messageID=3080008&tag=forum-w;forums06#3080008

my troubleshooting pointed me to one pointt....the problem/cracking sound only occurs when i play a bray disc from my ps3...and the futureshop guy here pointed that its the power/ic unit in your tv that needs to be replaced to fix it...the samsung rep said yes to this assertion as welll...so it all points to power!!!!
When i thought about it...i realized that i had connected around 12-15 devices/items to my two outlets thru extension cords/power bars..so most likely when the going gets tough and power is lower than demand the tv probably get less power and this results in this craking sound...with the new ic/power unit in the tv, samsung probably tries to fix the issue...maybe the new ic/power unit in tv is developed to continue well with lesser power.

I have bought another power bar that I intend to use thru another outlet to see if fixes the issued....i'm also going to take my existing 6-8 connections off the main power bar so that the main tv theater system devices get as much power as possible.

My guess is that PS3 when playing Bray and the Receivers systems require huge power which result in less power for tv which then makes that cracking noise as the symptom.

If you do end up reading this...let me know what your resolution was.

Regards.

Collapse -
re: makes loud popping/crackling sound
by Matty1239 / September 15, 2009 11:41 PM PDT

Thanks for the feed back. For me the whole issue has been the cable box. I upgraded to a newer one and it doesnt happen as much. I can not tell if it happens when the tv is on mute because it only happens when I turn the set on and I get a low sound pop when switching channels every once and a while.

I only have the cable box and tv on that outlet when they are turned on.

To cure the main loud noise we turn the cable box on first and give it a few seconds to set itself. Than we turn the t.v. on. So far in the past few months it has only happend 2 times. Was everyday for a while. I do not have this problems with any other component attached to the set like mtararat .

mtararat , Have you had any luck getting this resolved?

M

Collapse -
My 60" Plasma start this
by bigknockers / August 15, 2010 6:49 AM PDT

Had this TV less than 90 days, & yesterday I heard my first pop and crackel. All I have hooked up is Dishnetwork DVR and I was catching up. Pop Crack...turned it off. Today it was fine for 45 mins...and it started again.
Didn't buy extended warranty. Not sure what regular warranty is.
I am afraid it will ruin the TV.

Collapse -
Perhaps Static Discharge.
by nym_eveningfall / October 5, 2010 5:25 AM PDT

I'm going to make an educated guess, I've been having the same issue with my Monitor and after doing some research I've found that it could be a static discharge. The first time I heard the sound I thought it was an Electrical Transformer due to how loud it was, a few weeks later the same thing happened and my room mate (a computer tech) suggested it might be the phone transmitter jack outside the house. (Both times it was raining.) I recently moved my computer into my room and the same thing happened last night. My other room mate experienced the same sound and we've concluded that it must be a static discharge from our Monitors, it wasn't raining, but there is quite a bit of humidity in the air. Hope this helps at least explain what the sound may be.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.