Samsung forum

General discussion

LN40A650 Significant Problem

by bshumbera / July 15, 2009 6:58 AM PDT

Hello All. I purchased my LN40A650 TV set in April 2008 and I'm now experiencing my first ever issue with it. Starting yesterday, the TV picture will freeze, I'll hear a buzzing sound over the speakers, and then it will try to reboot. The issue continuously cycles. I've definitely confirmed it is a problem with the TV and not any of the sources. In fact, with no signal source attached, it will search endlessly with no issue, but the moment I attach a cable from any source, the problem starts. I'd greatly appreciate any advice you can provide as I'm currently unemployed and doubt I can afford any tech service Sad

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN40A650 Significant Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN40A650 Significant Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LN40A650 Significant Problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 15, 2009 8:38 AM PDT

bshumbera,

It's pretty difficult to diagnose the television without actually being able to look at it. However, if you register online, you may qualify for an additional three months of warranty, meaning no out of pocket expense for you if it's approved.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mysamsung/product/myssMyProductRegist2.do

After registering, call 800-SAMSUNG and explain the situation, and see if they can get that done for you.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thank you
by bshumbera / July 15, 2009 10:12 AM PDT

I appreciate your response. I registered the TV via the link your provided but it still shows its status as out of warranty. This is quite unfortunate indeed.

Collapse -
Thank you
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 15, 2009 1:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

bshumbera,

Give a call to 800-SAMSUNG tomorrow, and if you can't get the answer you're looking for, ask to speak to a Tier 2 agent and write down the transaction number.

It's worth trying, if nothing else. If I didn't think there was a reasonable chance, I wouldn't suggest it - but again, I can't promise anything.

--HDTech

Collapse -
RE: LN40A650 Significant Problem
by ChrisB0137 / September 1, 2009 12:28 PM PDT

Hi I bought my LN40A650 in Feb 2009 and just experienced the exact same problem you did. I was able to fix it by going to Menu-->Application-->Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC). Change the Anynet+ to off and presto problem solved. I don't think I'll ever use Anynet so it's not a big deal to turn it off but if you received more info on this problem from Samsung please let me know. Thanks!

Collapse -
by bshumbera / September 2, 2009 4:38 AM PDT

After about 2.5 weeks of talking with customer service, I was able to secure a slightly extended warranty to cover the repair costs of the issue. They ultimately replaced both the main and power boards in my unit, which fixed the issue. This is the first I've heard of Anynet possibly being the root of the problem and will surely deactivate it myself just in case. Thanks!

Collapse -
by ChrisB0137 / September 2, 2009 5:58 AM PDT

Thanks for the info. I have to go back on what I said, deactivating anynet fixed the problem for a couple days. The power cycling has now returned, fortunately I am in the warranty period so I will go the service route. Glad to hear you were able to get your tv repaired.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.