Samsung

Question

LN40A630 - controlling volume of external speakers

by highstream99 / February 11, 2013 11:36 AM PST

I have an Samsung LN40A630 TV, the volume controlled by a cable (box) remote. The goal is to have the volume for two (powered) external speakers controllable from that remote, with the TV's speakers turned off. So far no success. I've hooked the external speakers RCAs up to the back of the TV and then to the back of the cable box, and can get volume control that way but the internal speakers are still going. However, when I change the TV's Menu > Sound settings to external speakers, the remote's volume control is no longer recognized. So far the only way I've gotten volume control without the internal speakers is by using the headphone jack. Am I missing something here? Thanks,

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN40A630 - controlling volume of external speakers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN40A630 - controlling volume of external speakers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: LN40A630 - controlling volume of external speakers
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 11, 2013 11:57 PM PST

Hi highstream99,

What you're missing is called "fixed-line out"; Samsung TVs have a fixed level for their audio output. This means if you connect a pair of speakers by the headphone jack that you won't be able to control the audio level from the TV's remote. The best option for most people is to get a sound bar of some kind or another and connect it via optical.

HD Tech

Collapse -
by highstream99 / February 12, 2013 1:35 AM PST

Don't think you answered my question. As I wrote, I'm controlling the volume level (and channel selections) from the cable box remote, not the Samsung supplied one, external speakers or not. The only thing I use the Samsung remote for is changing devices (TV, media box, DVD). Currently, I have the external speakers plugged into the headphone jack. With that, I am able to control the volume level with that remote and the TV's internal speakers are muted. That is a stopgap measure and not why I wrote.

The LN40A630 allows use of external speakers from the audio out port. What I'm trying to figure out is how to control the volume of the external speakers through that port with the cable remote, while having the internal speakers muted. So far, with the TV's Sound settings I either get all four speakers going at once or the external speakers alone. The latter would be fine, except in that condition the remote control volume adjuster isn't recognized, no matter what device I'm using (there's a "no device" or some such message that appears on the TV screen).

I hope my question is clear now.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 12, 2013 6:49 AM PST

Hi highstream99,

OK, I'm confused. You said, (1) "Currently, I have the external speakers plugged into the headphone jack. With that, I am able to control the volume level with that [cable?] remote and the TV's internal speakers are muted. "

And then you said later, (2) "The LN40A630 allows use of external speakers from the audio out port. What I'm trying to figure out is how to control the volume of the external speakers through that port with the cable remote, while having the internal speakers muted. "

(1) and (2) sound like the same thing, except that (1) is working and (2) isn't working. The only difference I can detect that you may be talking about two different connection ports or two different remotes. So what is the point of variance?

HD Tech

Collapse -
by highstream99 / February 12, 2013 12:17 PM PST

Let's start from the beginning. Let's say I want to hook up two external (amplified) speakers to the TV and be able to control their volume with my cable remote. At the same time, I want to disable the sound of the TV's speakers. I know of three choices for making the hook up from device to speaker:

- run RCA interconnects from the audio output port of the cable box
- run RCA interconnects from the audio output port on the back of the TV
- run 3.5mm plug cable from the headphone jack on the RV

As far as I know, the first option isn't workable, because the sound is only what the cable box gets - TV. OTOH, the headphone jack option does work (and maybe I'll have to live with it). That leaves the second option, off the back of the TV audio output port, which is theoretically the best choice because it allows use of RCA interconnects (and better ones, if I so choose).

The problem with the second option is that I have not yet figured out how to get the cable remote volume control to be recognized (control) when the TV's speakers are disabled in Settings (Menu > Sound > Speakers -- External). Thus far, I've only gotten the cable remote to control the volume when the TV's speakers are enabled, in which case I have four speakers going (two internal, two external).. So my question is, is it possible to make this second option work?

Is that clear now?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 13, 2013 12:05 AM PST

Hi highstream99,

Yes, that is clear what you're trying to accomplish now. Sorry for the back and forth, but I'd like to ask you do one further thing: now that I've re-read all your posts I'd like to state what believe are the four conditions you've tried

Works - 3.5mm plug cable from the headphone jack on the RV | internal mute OFF
Works - 3.5mm plug cable from the headphone jack on the RV | internal mute ON

Works - RCA interconnects from the audio output port on the back of the TV | internal mute OFF
Fails - RCA interconnects from the audio output port on the back of the TV | internal mute ON

Are all these configurations the ones you've tried? Did I summarize everything correctly?

Speaking to that other post, I did make a response to it: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-585397/usb-powered-dac-to-ln40a630-via-wiselink-port/?messageId=5423225#message5423225

HD Tech

Collapse -
by highstream99 / February 13, 2013 3:12 AM PST

Yes. And that Fails is the one I'm asking about. It's the one I, and probably most users, would look at first.

Collapse -
by highstream99 / February 13, 2013 3:34 AM PST

(Is there a way to edit posts?)

Correction: the headphone connection turn disables the internal mute option in Settings, thus those two you've listed are really one and should read as follows:

Works - 3.5mm plug cable from the headphone jack on the RV | internal mute OFF by default

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 14, 2013 12:05 AM PST

Hi highstream99,

Yeah, I often wish I can edit posts because I make typos here and there. Unfortunately, there's not a way to do so.

OK, so I'm going to come full circle now to what I originally said: you're encountering "fixed-line out"; Samsung TVs have a fixed level for their audio output. No remote control that changes the audio level on the TV's side will affect the sound level coming from the audio port output.

For this reason, any speaker system needs to have both its own power source and its own volume control; otherwise, you won't be able to control the audio.

I realize this is somewhat counter intuitive on the face of it, but it's the way these devices are engineered.

I see in your other post that you realized you discovered what I initially recommended: S/PDIF optical connection. This will most likely be your best option for audio control, because most devices that use this connection would have a remote, and so you'd be able to program a remote to be able to control its volume level.

HD Tech

Collapse -
by highstream99 / February 14, 2013 5:42 AM PST

I'm not sure what "fixed-line out" is, but I'm going to give the S/PDIF cable a try next week and see what happens. I may be back to follow up on that. Otherwise, the headphone jack will have to do; it does draw on the same audio source. Thanks,

Collapse -
by highstream99 / April 4, 2013 1:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
hello
by Serebros2 / April 23, 2013 3:42 PM PDT
Collapse -
Optical to RCA converter
by highstream99 / April 24, 2013 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: hello

Thought about it myself. Leaving aside quality of sound with another device in the audio path, the DAC would require RCA inputs, along with a USB input that can be used for power. Most have the latter, but I don't know of any DACs that have RCA inputs, only outputs. So a USB to RCA digitial to analog converter would be needed, but that's part of the purpose of the DAC.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.