Samsung forum

General discussion

LN37B650 - "Soap Opera Effect" even with Auto-motion+ off!

by xxBUKxx / August 6, 2009 12:28 AM PDT

I purchased a Samsung LN37B650 from Best Buy about 5 days ago. I've tested the TV using 3 different sources: PS3 playing a Blade Runner Blue Ray set to 1080/24hz mode, a standard DVD player hooked up HDMI in both 1080p&1080i mode and an HD cable box. In all instances the picture looked sped up and artificial. Disabling the Auto-motion Plus setting made a big difference but it certainly hasn't eliminated the problem. Basically it went from looking like a super high quality security camera to a BBC soap opera. There are certain scenes where the effects are less noticeable but 90% of the time it looks absolutely comical. I found this surprising after reading this sites review of this very unit. I even duplicated the settings you linked to in the review. Nothing seems to work. So, here are my questions:

1) Is there a setting located somewhere besides the "picture settings" or "advanced settings" that could remedy this? I know it's not likely but worth a shot at least.

2) Is this something I should expect from all 120hz LCD's in the 1k-1.15k range? Is there a particular model that is especially known for not having this issue?

3) Does this Samsung perform a 2:3 pulldown or a 5:5:5 pulldown? Could this be where the problem lies? Could it be fixed in a firmware update?

Let me state once again that disabling the Auto-Motion plus didn't solve the problem but only made it less severe. If you can think of anything that can remedy this issue please let me know. Anything you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN37B650 - "Soap Opera Effect" even with Auto-motion+ off!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN37B650 - "Soap Opera Effect" even with Auto-motion+ off!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LN37B650 - "Soap Opera Effect" even with Auto-motion+ off!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 6, 2009 5:39 AM PDT

xxBUKxx,

What happens if you input the signal at 60Hz? Does that improve the picture? In some cases, this may result in satisfaction. I would suggest trying that first.

I'm not sure if it's somthing you should "expect" per se, but it may be due in part to the processing and upconverting of the picture. There is a picture setting forum at CNet that may help you get your settings to where they want to be. I'd recommend trying that as well.

--HDTech

Collapse -
60hz vs 120hz
by xxBUKxx / August 6, 2009 6:55 AM PDT

Thanks for your prompt reply!

As far as my PS3 goes, the only option I'm given hz-wise is the 1080/24hz setting I mentioned earlier. If the source was to blame wouldn't outputting at 24hz fix the issue? Also, isn't it true that HD cable boxes don't generally put out 120hz signal?

Is there some sort of intermediary device I can run between the TV and the source to ensure it's receiving 24p??

Collapse -
60hz vs 120hz
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 6, 2009 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: 60hz vs 120hz

xxBUKxx,

To see what signal the television is receiving, you can hit the INFO button on the remote and it will bring up the Hz and resolution.

Outputting at 24 frames sends less frames to the television than 60hz. It is true that there is no 120Hz source, but that the television will upconvert both 24 and 60Hz to 120Hz (both divide into 120Hz evenly). 24Hz is a film-mode that film enthusiasts really get that "theater" feel, and it may be having a negative effect in your gameplay. (Some cut scenes may also change resolutions, so check the INFO bar when you're seeing the problem in gameplay).

Why the PS3 doesn't allow 1080/60Hz is something I don't know. But see if bumping down the resolution might bump up the framerate and see if that improves.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung Tv picture settings ("too real"/ soap opera)
by monique1980 / June 5, 2010 10:58 PM PDT
In reply to: 60hz vs 120hz

I love my new 120hz Samsung LCD TV for games, but I watched a movie and it was horrible (the picture was "too good" and looked like a home movie or soap opera). Here is one suggestion I've found (I haven't tried it yet, I will when I watch a movie next):

-set "AMP" (auto-motion plus) to "custom" and then seperately turn "blur reduction" to a fairly high setting (7-10), and turn "anti-judder" effect down to "0".

-also, maybe turn brightness and backlight down

I hope this works. Maybe others can report if it works for them.

Collapse -
Same Problem Here
by phrozted / July 31, 2010 5:24 PM PDT

I just bought the Samsung UN55C8000. Beautiful TV, but the "Soap Opera Effect" is driving me close to insanity. It looks positively disgusting. The very idea that this might be a selling point for new TVs makes me want to puke. Filmmakers have created their films at 24 fps for a reason. A film ought to be displayed in the way it was shot, not bastardized by some screwy new tech. Hey, I have an idea--why don't TVs substitute words for movies with bad writing? Sorry, that's not how art works. My TV is, first and foremost, a way to enjoy ART, not some fancy means of experiencing reality. If I want that I'll go outside.

Anyway, turning the "Auto Motion Plus" to "Clear" fixes the problem only SLIGHTLY. Nothing I have been able to change in my settings has had any effect. I'm taking the TV back.

Collapse -
Disgusting?
by soc5 / August 1, 2010 4:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Same Problem Here

The reason LCD tv's have Automotion is that lcd technology sometimes causes motion to blur, so they created this for people to reduce the blur in fast moving scenes. It isn't to "bastardize" the film. If you did some reading you could see that it doesn't have to be on clear or standard or smooth, you can turn it completely off... just keep clicking the remote until you see the off selection. You can also set a custom setting which works really well and set the motion blur to on and judder to off and you won't see the Soap opera effect at all while keeping your motion blur free. Your tv also allows for 24fps they did this to keep it as close to the movie's original format as possible. So maybe instead or ranting and sounding silly you should think that designers have put a lot more thought into this than you think.

Collapse -
Found the solution
by lenniegofast / August 4, 2010 4:38 PM PDT

I too was most irritated by this fake picture while watching blue ray disks. Here is what I did.

Hit the Menu button on the remote.
Select options
Select General
Go to Game Mode and select On
Once selected hit return

This should have corrected your problem. It took me hours of searching before finding out the solution. Good luck and let me know how things turned out.

Lennie

Collapse -
slight difference for some tvs
by btb258 / August 11, 2010 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Found the solution

the game mode we found on our tv under mode- network- general- game mode. (no biggie but couldn't find an options section)

Collapse -
oops
by btb258 / August 11, 2010 7:55 AM PDT

I misspoke: menu-setup-general-gamemode

Collapse -
much better
by btb258 / August 11, 2010 7:05 AM PDT

we turned off the automotion plus on the samsung tv AND we changed the Panasonic bluray we went under tv/device connection and selected hdmi connection and turned on the 24p. Don't know what 24p is but it seemed to help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.