Samsung forum

General discussion

LN-T5271F problem; intermittent horizontal jittery bars

by spideygirl2222 / December 6, 2009 8:55 AM PST

Hi,

We have a 2 year-old 52" LCD with a weird problem that has been consistent for about the past 2 months.
When we first turn the t.v. on each day, the television screen appears to be divided horizontally into 4 equal "bars" that are shimmery or jittery. We can still see the picture... nothing is blacked out, but the picture within all of the 4 bars is very jerky and jittery.

The solution to the problem appears to be a combination of letting the t.v. warm up for 2-5 minutes, then giving it a tiny "shove", which seems to remedy the problem, and the screen clears up. The screen will remain clear for the rest of that t.v. viewing session, and after the t.v. is turned off, if it is turned on again within the same day, at least half of the time it turns on with no problem. But, virtually always, after a really long break (at least overnight) without being viewed, we will have this problem with the picture. It appears to be getting more frequent and taking just a little bit longer to correct over time.

My husband has checked all of the cables, and they appear to be secure and working well. Also, since the t.v. works fine for the majority of the time, it does not appear to be a cable company or physical cable issue. It really only seems to be a problem when the t.v. is not "warmed up" sufficiently, leading us to think that there is just something that needs to be tightened. (Hopefully!)

Any suggestions for how to troubleshoot? And, please be as specific as possible, if you have any suggestions... Just saying, "Tighten the dohickey, and test the wires on the doomaflidgy thingy" isn't going to help me one bit, LOL. I'm technically-challenged, so please draw me a picture. Happy

Thank you for any help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN-T5271F problem; intermittent horizontal jittery bars
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN-T5271F problem; intermittent horizontal jittery bars
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bump
by spideygirl2222 / December 7, 2009 2:29 PM PST

Just giving this a bump, to see if anybody might be able to help. Happy

Collapse -
I need help too....
by Prd28 / December 7, 2009 10:36 PM PST

I have the same problem. its been going on for about 4 months now. but when I "shove" it does nothing to clear the problem. My t.v. was actully replaced by samsung last year because of the constant triple ball effect and freezing of picture from the 120 hz refresh. I also replaced a capacitor that was causing the power cycling when starting up, but then after I fixed that problem I now have this problem. I guess as this T.V. was the first too have the 120hz refresh rate there are alot of problems with it.

Collapse -
I have also had same problems.
by parkespapa / February 7, 2010 1:54 AM PST
In reply to: I need help too....

On the exact same model I have repalced capacitors 5 weeks ago to fix turning on problem. Has worked until a few days ago, and now (on Super Bowl Sunday) have this new problem. Can anyone with this horizontal line problenm tell me if they have found a fix.

Thanks!

Collapse -
LN-T5271F problem; intermittent horizontal jittery bars
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 8, 2009 5:31 AM PST

spideygirl2222,

Does this happen on all inputs? Or just with the cable box?

If it does happen on all inputs, the best recommendation would be to have the television inspected by a service tech. There's just not a lot of troubleshooting that can be offered on this symptom.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Yes, all inputs
by spideygirl2222 / December 8, 2009 1:42 PM PST

Yes, the bars will appear no matter what input device is used; but of course, we've been able to make it go away within a few minutes of turning it on. I guess we're just afraid of the cost of having someone out to inspect it, since we can still deal with the problem without too much hassle... still, we'd like to know what is wrong.

Collapse -
Yes, all inputs
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 9, 2009 6:42 PM PST
In reply to: Yes, all inputs

spideygirl2222,

Without being able to inspect it, it'd be difficult to be conclusive. I appreciate that service calls aren't cheap, but it would give a good indication to if it's a minor issue, or a major one. If you want a Samsung authorized tech to take a look, you can do that through 800-SAMSUNG.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Same Issue
by FJRJim / December 14, 2009 7:32 AM PST

I have the same problem, though a bump does not apear to help. The set is almost two years old, problem is on all inputs. Hope there is a BIOS fix in place of having to spend $$$ for a service call. A real shame as it had such high reviews and I always thought of the Samsung name to be high quality.

Collapse -
I'm seeing a trend here!
by joes95rx7 / April 24, 2010 1:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Same Issue

I'm seeing a trend here... I've had my lnt5271 for exactly 2 yrs and this problem of flickering horizontally on the bottom half of my screen. And like everyone else, after the TV set warms up the problem self-corrects. However, it does seem to be getting worse with time! I have a feeling it is only a matter of time before it doesn't warm up and fix itself. I wish I knew what the fix is. It's a gamble calling a tech to come fix it. I'd rather buy a new TV if it costs more than $400 to fix.

I have to agree with someones previous statement. It's disappointing to see all these problems when our TV's were the best of the best only months ago!

Collapse -
Horizontal Lines During Warmup
by t.ryanbrooks / April 26, 2010 2:17 AM PDT

Hey--

I have the LN40a630 and I experience an almost identical issue as well. My warmup takes a little longer (~20 minutes), but the way you described having 4 equally divided sections of the TV is exactly the same as what I experience. Mine, however also gets worse the farther right you look on the screen, but then it will just sort of click back into having a great picture...Getting kind of old actually, though.

I opened up the back of it last week to search for popped capacitor, and, much to my dismay, found none (I was actually hoping to see some, fix them, and have the problem go away). See my thread: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0.html?messageID=3291348

Wish Samsung would offer up a little more help in response to their shoddy TVs.

Collapse -
Pictures of Horizontal Lines
by t.ryanbrooks / April 26, 2010 2:18 AM PDT

Oh yea, also wanted to mention that I have pictures of what mine looks like on the thread mentioned above.

Collapse -
horizontal lines
by parkespapa / April 26, 2010 8:21 AM PDT

Mine has actually gotten better on it's own. When it does it now, it's not as severe, it doesn't happen as often, and it doesn't last more than a minute or two. Still has a great picture besides.

I did have to change popped capacitors for another issue, and the horizontal line problem occured afterwards. I read somewhere that it might be a loose cable causing the problem, but since the problem seems to have gone away, and certainly not gotten any worse, I haven't opened it back up to check.

Collapse -
Same issue here.... I don't see any results?
by petrica98 / May 17, 2010 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: horizontal lines

I have had this TV for just over 2 years as well, replaced the capacitor and now the lines as well. the lines do correct themselves after 5 - 10 mintues or so, and are definitely worse the farther to the right of the scrren. Otherwise a great TV. The lines are on all inputs.

I have read these threads, and many others, but it seems that no one has called a service Tech or if they have, they have not posted the results?

Collapse -
LNT5271FXX
by sandokan1010 / June 21, 2010 2:27 PM PDT

I have the same issue, and it change to video delay issue, and after installed it on the wall mount it change back to the video distorsion on the right side, so because of the mecanical movement look like it is panel or cabling problem. Just in case I have requested the service and the TV Repair Co, is waiting for SAMSUNG, identify the problem, any ways I got a SHARP 60" for the half of the price I paid for this garbage TV.

Check it on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJF2wmNZZ78

As soon I get fix my I will broadcast the solution.

Good luck and keep far away of SAMSUNG, any solution please contact me at

SANDOKAN1010@gmail.com

Collapse -
samsung 5271f
by cstuba / January 4, 2011 7:53 AM PST

Same issue. after 2 years problem started.My unit is still under warranty, had it fixed. two weeks later had same problem, it's back in the shop.

Collapse -
Exactly the same intermittent problem!!!!
by rjpolmd / March 3, 2011 11:35 AM PST

I couldn't have said it more accurately. I have the exact same problem. It flickers but quits after 5-10 minutes or so. The lenght of flicker time is progressing. It seems my TV was purchased the same time that yours was.

Collapse -
Samsung LCD TV Model LE46F 86BDF/XEU
by samsung30 / March 3, 2011 6:21 PM PST

Hi,

We have a 2 year-old 46" LCD with a weird problem that has been consistent for about the past 6 months. We also had the power ON problem that was solved by replacing some capcitors.

When we first turn the t.v. on each day, the television screen appears to be dividedVERTICALLY into 2 equal PARTS that are shimmery or jittery ON RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE SCREEN. We can still see the picture... nothing is blacked out, but the picture is very jerky and jittery.

The solution to the problem appears to be a combination of letting the t.v. warm up forUP TO 40 minutes. The screen will remain clear for the rest of that t.v. viewing session, and after the t.v. is turned off, if it is turned on again within the same day, at least half of the time it turns on with no problem. But, virtually always, after a really long break (at least overnight) without being viewed, we will have this problem with the picture. It appears to be getting more frequent and taking just a little bit longer to correct over time.

Samsung have told me after

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.