Samsung forum

General discussion

ln-t4069f picture problem lcd warmup

by NotCaveman / January 31, 2010 11:08 PM PST

Was wondering if anybody can offer advice as to what the problem with my set is. When I first turn on my tv, it takes anywhere from 5-15 minutes of warm up before the tv is watchable. When it first is turned on, the left 2/3 of the screen is dark, sometimes strobing between proper picture lighting, and low lighting, as if the brightness was turned to -1000000. Also, while it is still in its warm up, sometimes the image is slights phased, creating a double image on the screen that is shifted just a couple inches over from the normal picture.

Tv Was purchased a little more than a year ago.
I saw someone posted that if you register your samsung, they add 3 months on to your warranty. if you're more than 12 months, can you still get the 3 months added, or does the product have to be registered before the 12 months is up?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ln-t4069f picture problem lcd warmup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ln-t4069f picture problem lcd warmup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung_HD_Tech request
by NotCaveman / February 1, 2010 3:16 AM PST

Hi, was wondering if theres anything you can do to assist on transaction number 4006121110. The service center called and said it was out of warranty. I originally purchased my item on 10/30/08, registered my product on 1/27/10, but was unable to open service call since it was after hours. I'm trying to get a duplicate copy of the original sales receipt, but what I do have immediately available is a copy of my sears CC bill, showing the tv purchase as a line item on my bill

and the purchase price

anything you can do to help with this matter would be GREATLY appreciated

Collapse -
Samsung_HD_Tech request
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 1, 2010 12:26 PM PST

I'll be happy to send that over.

If you have a scan of that, send it to

Please have your pertinent and personal information removed (or scratched out) except for your name.

Once you've done that, repost here, and I'll check the email inbox and forward it to the appropriate departments.

Collapse -
Email Sent
by NotCaveman / February 1, 2010 9:29 PM PST

Thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
Same Problem
by srfinger / February 1, 2010 10:35 PM PST
In reply to: Email Sent

I am having the same problem with my Samsung LN-T4661F, which I bought in July 2008. A couple of weeks ago, the leftside of the screen started being very blurry, with significant tracing, etc.. when I first turn on the tv. After 5 or 10 minutes it goes away and the picture looks perfect.

I have tried disconnecting the power to the cable box and dvd player to make sure there is no IR interference, but the problem persists. Even when I disconnect wires and just try to view the tv menu, it is very blurry when I first turn on the tv. Ideas?

Collapse -
LN-T4661f line on warmup
by itdude48 / June 8, 2010 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Problem

I was wondering if anyone solved the black bar issue on warmup. I also have this problem and Samsung agreed to extend my warranty but it is an intermittant problem and it may not happen when the tech comes out.

Collapse -
LN-T4661F black screen on left when turning on
by kustum / August 8, 2010 10:24 AM PDT

I am having the same problem with my TV. It is 2 1/2 years old. There was another forum were they said it was the LCD panel and it would be $1200 to fix. Is this right? I paid $1600. There seems to be a growing problem with this TV.

Collapse -
Same problem, but beware of firmware upgrade.
by parkrode360 / September 1, 2011 9:53 AM PDT

Our set has had the same problem as mentioned above, recently (about 4 - 6 weeks ago), the set would be blurry on the left hand side of the screen, Itr would then show a bit of banding, then finally it'd brighten up to the great picture I had come to expect. Would take about 5 - 15 minutes, and be *almost* annoying enough to take in to get serviced -- of course Samsung has already informed me that it was out of warranty.

So today (9/1/2011) I noticed that Samsung posted a firmware update for the 4069F. The firmware says it was posted 8/25/2011. I downloaded the udpate and followed the instructions in my owners manual. Selected "software update" --> "USB" and let the set scan the drive. Noted that the set turned off and back on as the instructions said it would. But when it turned back on, screen was gray (actually a blotchy gray), no picture. Push the menu button, no menu. Called Samsung, they suggested to "check the wires". Didn't work. They suggested that the set be unplugged for 30 seconds. No change. They reminded me the set was out of warranty (gee, thanks).

Any suggestions? As for the firmware upgrade, I'd beware unless you feel your set *really* needs it.

Collapse -
Another LNT4069F that was bricked by the SW update
by sbcncsu / September 3, 2011 5:13 AM PDT

I downloaded and installed the software update today, 9/3/11 on my LNT4069F and the EXACT same thing is happening to me, updated "successfully," tv shut off and powered back up to gray (overdriven black) screen.

Samsung needs to take down that file, it is breaking televisions! I have to take my TV to a service center 73 miles away to get it "diagnosed". As far as I know, I will have to pay out of pocket for the diagnosis and repair. Ugh. First the bad capacitors and now bad firmware. What is happening at Samsung?

Collapse -
by NotCaveman / February 3, 2010 1:14 AM PST

Just wanted to confirm that you received the email that i sent you. have you been able to make any progress within Executive customer relations?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 7, 2010 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung_HD_Tech

I have sent that up as of this evening. Thanks for posting back.

Collapse -
Warm up issue for Samsung LN-T4661F
by srfinger / June 1, 2010 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: NotCaveman

My tv is experiencing the same warm up issues as many other people have posted on the board. For the first 15-30 minutes after you turn it on, the left side of the screen is distorted and there are four horizontal lines the length of the screen. Eventually, it warms up and the picture is fine.

I tried removing the back and reseating the LVDS cable, but it did not fix the issue. Is this a problem with the T Conn board?

Before you ask, No I will not pay $300 to have a technician come out to look at a tv that I could replace for $900.

Stephen Finger

Collapse -
amsung LN-T4661F Warm-up problems
by rebelmpm / April 20, 2010 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung_HD_Tech

I am having the same problem with my Samsung LN-T4661F. A couple of weeks ago, the leftside of the screen started being very blurry, with significant tracing, etc.. when I first turn on the tv. After 5 or 10 minutes it goes away and the picture looks perfect.

I have tried disconnecting the power to the cable box and dvd player to make sure there is no IR interference, but the problem persists. Even when I disconnect wires and just try to view the tv menu, it is very blurry when I first turn on the tv. Ideas?

Collapse -
warm up bad picture
by mrocco408 / May 31, 2010 6:38 AM PDT

i am too struggling with the faulty rip off of samsung lnt model. I had the power clicking on/off problem as well as the bad picture on warm up. I looked into the power capacitors that were indeed bad. Samsung uses 10v capacitors which are to small that they know will only last a little over a year. coincidentally just after the warranty expires. very sneaky. I open up my tv order some new capacitors this time 16v and installed them. Now my tv turns on how it should however the picture is still bad on warm up. also the tv will go blank during this time sometimes and i have to turn in off then back on 1-3 times to get the picture working. Then it still takes 20-25min before looking normal. since the picture will indeed become normal after this intial warm up i know the lcd is working fine. There is just another sneaky issue that samsung has planted on its customers which i havent discovered yet. If someone has discovered how to fix this issue please tell me. For others have the power problem i am no handy man and i am very useless around these type of things. However my research led me to the power capacitors and a youtube video showed me how to take them out and solder them in. Keep in mind i have never soldered before in my life but i was successful in fixing this problem. $8 soldering iron and 3 capacitors at $1.80 each. less then 30 min of work most of that is uscrewing all the screws to take the back on the tv off.
So please someone help me with this picture warm up issue and my next tv will not be samsung believe that unless i buy a best buy extended warranty and put my foot thru the set every 2 years and get a new one.

Collapse -
Tell me what you think of this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2010 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: warm up bad picture
Collapse -
warm up bad picture
by akabun / June 11, 2010 1:10 PM PDT

@mrocco408, I'm having the same problem u are having just wanted to know if you ever got an answer to your problem. Thanks

Collapse -
sound good but no picture
by mrocco408 / June 11, 2010 3:34 PM PDT

No answer yet. It is unfortunate because I received an answer to my 1st Samsung problem with the power supply and I was able to fix it so I believe if I can get a good diagnosis on this problem I can fix that too. Right now my tv is a doorstop someone please help

Collapse -
Blurry / Double Picture on Warm up
by cmills007 / August 21, 2010 6:33 AM PDT

Hi mrocco408 - did you ever get a diagnosis of the blurry/dark/double picture on warm up. I've been having that problem too. I just took the TV apart and replaced the 10V / 1000uf capacitors which I read could cause problems if/when they fail, but I tested them after I took them out and they seem ok, so I'm thinking this isn't going to solve my problem.

Let me know if you got resolution to your problem (or just went and bought a new TV).

Collapse -
by NotCaveman / August 21, 2010 1:01 PM PDT

just as a follow-up for the dark screen/double image: they first tried replacing all the boards, problem still persisted, they ended up ordering a replacement panel, and that did the trick. it may have been the backlight, but more likely was the lcd driver board at the top of the display that is not a FRU, only the whole screen.

Collapse -
anyone get an answer ?
by slbcarl / November 16, 2010 11:25 PM PST
In reply to: results

I have the same problem and started a new thread but I'm curious to see if anyone has figured this problem out yet.

Collapse -
Samsung Lines and Ghosting
by Cavette / November 17, 2010 8:36 AM PST
In reply to: anyone get an answer ?
Collapse -
Manufacture's defect - I will never buy Samsung again !
by bd100a / December 3, 2012 12:36 PM PST

Samsung sent a tech to fix a problem where my tv would keep clicking but no turn on.
My tv was out of warrranty, but Samsung knew about this problem so they fixed it.
something to do with subpar parts. Right after I started to have this problem.
I called Samsung, they said this was something different, not a common problem so they would not fix it.
Now I see it is quite common.

Lesson learnt. Don't buy another Samsung product. They use subpar parts and do not stand behind their product.
Pay a little extra and get a solid product. something like Sony.

Collapse -
Re: defect
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 4, 2012 1:06 AM PST

Hi bd100a,

I apologize for your experience thus far. If you could post your transaction number, I'd like to see if we can investigate this issue for you.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Same problem
by nhill7936 / January 12, 2013 5:59 AM PST
In reply to: Re: defect

I have the same problem with my 52" LN-T5265F. I have spend several phone calls trying to get samsung to honnor their product and help me get it fixed. I have been thru customer service, Executive Customer relations and the office of the president and have gotten no where. I called again today after seeing this is a common problem and have been told they are not aware of tis issue and since I am out of warranty there is nothing they can do. My serivce ticket is 4117652968. If there is anything you can do to help me get my unwatchable TV fixed I would be greatful. I was told this is an "out of pocket expense". The out of pocket expense was buying a TV that was said to be a great TV. We had the other issue of the capacitors fixed at one point. We have been experiancing the veritcal lines, horizantal line, and ghosting since march 12, and now the screan will not clear up at all. We have resorted to moving the TV to the kitchen table and put up a old 32" box tv that has lastest. Please help!

Collapse -
I am having the same problem except now it is permanent
by Ebencik / September 7, 2013 4:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

This is so frustrating I can't even watch the television it's so bad. Has anyone got an answer other than you are out of warranty? I am running out of faith in samsung products.

Collapse -
Blurry screen and tracking on right side
by JPP417 / February 7, 2014 9:27 PM PST

I also now have the same problem with blurriness when the tv is first turned on for 5-10 minutes. Tv is about 3-4 years old. How can Samsung say its not a common problem? I'm in market for another tv but now scared to buy another Samsung. Has anyone found the solution?

Collapse -
LN52A860 Same Problem
by K8RAU / October 20, 2014 1:34 AM PDT

having same issue. replacrd T-Con no fix. PS caps look good. Ayone have solution? factory serv "thinks" could be panel cost $1200 ----
screw me once, shame on me!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.