Samsung forum

General discussion

LN S4051 40"LCD wont turn on

by dell645 / November 15, 2008 12:05 AM PST

For 2 days my much valued LCD wont turn on.When I push the power button the red light blinks 3 times and nothing else happens,no picture or sound,until about 15 seconds later it goes through the same behavior.This continues unless I unplug it.When I plug it in it will do the same thing on and on.It is 2 years old.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LN S4051 40"LCD wont turn on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LN S4051 40"LCD wont turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LNS4051
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 16, 2008 6:37 PM PST

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your unit.

I would see about getting the unit serviced. I can't diagnose it based on what you've provided here. If you'd like to troubleshoot the unit, you might try calling our Customer Service Department at 800-SAMSUNG to see if a tech can help you.

--HDTech

Collapse -
LN S4051 40"LCD wont turn on
by dell645 / November 21, 2008 9:23 PM PST
In reply to: LNS4051

I called Samsung and was given an address to take it to.I have, to the tune of $525.00 for parts and labor.

Collapse -
Lost customer
by dell645 / December 16, 2008 4:19 AM PST

Thought I'd let you know that I wont support Samsung again - being as how they didn't support me.
The problem was a defective power supply board.Perhaps if it had caused a fire , Samsung would have been more responsive.

Collapse -
Bad for Samsung
by ttl111757 / July 6, 2009 1:59 AM PDT

You guys are giving your self a really bad name out there in the techy world. Alot of people have this problem with the power supply crapping out after two or three years. Many loyal Samsung users are shelling out $400 to $500.00 to repair this $5.00 fix. Haven"t you guys gotten this repair out to your shops, or are they just to lazy to do circuit repair

Collapse -
lcd tv wont turn on
by HeavyTakeMusic / July 9, 2011 5:23 PM PDT
Collapse -
Always call it in. Always.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2011 6:54 AM PDT
In reply to: lcd tv wont turn on

Samsung has been giving a lot of these BAD CAPS sets an one time free repair.

I agree that Samsung could walk out if the owner decided to do it themselves, fail and then call for help.
Bob

Collapse -
Faulty parts on PS board , bad press for Samsung
by billne / December 31, 2008 8:33 PM PST

Because the Samsung LNS4051D would not turn on and the power LED would blink 4 times and the relay would click and this would repeat again and again. I replaced power supply board parts CM806, 811, 812 & 817, all 1000 uf 10v capacitors, three had their tops bulged up slightly that I missed on initial visual inspection. After seeing the reports of problems with these caps on http://www.fixya.com/support/t1336881-will_not_turn_or_off , I replaced them with Radio Shack part 272-1032, 1000 uf, 35v. They are slightly bigger, but fit OK. TV is working fine now. Cost was 4 x $1.59 = $6.36 plus the time. I saved between $100 to 300 in the process of either replacing the board or getting the unit serviced. If you are not comfortable replacing components which means using a soldering iron, you can replace the power circuit board, available from http://www.discount-merchant.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1030952-SAMSUNG&&Click=46 .

Collapse -
Samsun 40" LCD TV power button blinking 4 times and clicking
by gjholmes / January 19, 2009 5:10 AM PST

I have never sodderd before. but I did this proces and thank you now my TV works just fine. I paid $1.48 x 4 = just over $6.00. thank you

Because the Samsung LNS4051D would not turn on and the power LED would blink 4 times and the relay would click and this would repeat again and again. I replaced power supply board parts CM806, 811, 812 & 817, all 1000 uf 10v capacitors, three had their tops bulged up slightly that I missed on initial visual inspection. After seeing the reports of problems with these caps on http://www.fixya.com/support/t1336881-will_not_turn_or_off , I replaced them with Radio Shack part 272-1032, 1000 uf, 35v. They are slightly bigger, but fit OK. TV is working fine now. Cost was 4 x $1.59 = $6.36 plus the time. I saved between $100 to 300 in the process of either replacing the board or getting the unit serviced. If you are not comfortable replacing components which means using a soldering iron, you can replace the power circuit board, available from http://www.discount-************/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1030952-SAMSUNG&&Click=46 .

Collapse -
Samsung LNS4051D would not turn on, LED blink
by billne / January 19, 2009 7:13 AM PST

That's great, glad this was a help to you

Collapse -
Samsung 4051D Power Supply Board
by LarryEWhite / February 7, 2009 11:11 AM PST

To: Billne

Thank you for your help regarding the faulty capacitors on the power supply board. I replaced the same 4 caps today as you suggested and the TV is working fine. I had been trying to place an order for the board on line for 2 months, but everyone has been out of stock. Then I ran across your post and thought I would give it a try.

Cordially,
Larry

Collapse -
help with my hdtv
by GARZONEG / January 10, 2011 7:27 AM PST

Mr. Larry after you replaced the 4 capacitor you said that is working. For how long/
I replaced the same 4 capacitors and just worked for 3 hours last knight and today i just turn it in and was good only for 3 minutes. Thank you

Collapse -
Samsung 4051D Power supply capacitors
by LarryEWhite / March 25, 2011 3:54 PM PDT
In reply to: help with my hdtv

To: GARZONEG

It has now been more than 2 years since I replaced the capacitors and the TV still works great. Did you upgrade the capacitors to 35mf, as suggested by Billne? The TV came originally with 10mf capacitors.

Larry

Collapse -
SAMsung
by ttl111757 / July 6, 2009 1:35 AM PDT

It"s sad they won"t acknowledge this problem. I feel bad for people out there who are not technical like us, and fork over $400.00 or more to replace the power supply board.

Collapse -
Good fix
by rj32s / September 6, 2009 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: SAMsung

I wish I was able to do what everyone is suggesting... I'll have to be a "sucker" and pay for the fix...

But believe me, SAMSUNG will never again get business from me or anyone close to me.

That company is an absolute joke!

Collapse -
What we are talking about is...
by aljq / November 14, 2009 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: Good fix

When you take off the back of the TV set you will see a circuit board right in the middle of the TV. On the Circuit board (to the right of the middle) you will see small round capacitors (they look like little cans). On the tops of them you will see an shin aluminum cap that has a cross hatch mark cut into it. If the capacitor is good, the cap will be flat or even slight indented. If the capacitor is bad, the cap will bulge out. The cross hatch is to allow it to push out without blowing up. You will probably see 4 of them that are bad. They should say 1000uF 10V. Hope this helps.
Al

Collapse -
samsungLN40A550P3FXZA
by soles1859 / January 24, 2010 6:10 AM PST

my tv does the same thing barely out of warranty. the problem is samsung puts out a great tv but the parts they used or were supplied are bad. mainly the capacitors on the power supply board. you can order a new board install it yourself for about 100.00 or you can repair it yourself for about 30.00 by replacing the capacitors on the board. usually its the 1000mf 10volt caps that are bad. Samsung should step up to the plate and fix this problem but thier in the bussiness to sale tv's. So dont be shock when samsung says they dont know what the problem is and their tech's tell u to take to a repair shop. They know there is a problem. Most shops charge 100.00 just to look at it fixed or not average cost to repair at a shop 300.00

Collapse -
Same power on problem here too
by oldirtg / September 22, 2009 11:35 AM PDT

WOW..Thanks a million for the tip.. My TV was doing the same thing and I read this, went out and bout the 4 caps and a soddering kit and tried this out..As I was soddering for my 1st time, I kept saying to myself this is not going to work..3hrs later I put it back together, hit the power button and I am back in business..Thanks for saving me $$..And to whom ever else has this problem and thinks that they cannot do this, think again...

Collapse -
Faulty parts on PS board , bad press for Samsung
by yarstrebor / October 5, 2009 5:05 AM PDT

To: billne

Thank you very much for your helpful information. I replaced the 4 capacitors and my Samsung 40" LCD is working fine, again. The Shack part numbers you gave were a real asset.

By the way, how did you ascertain that these faulty capacitors were the problem in the first place?

Kindest Regards,

Raymond

Collapse -
thank you
by harlequinlane / January 12, 2010 9:27 AM PST

Thanks to everyone who posted about this subject. My LNT4065F is now
working again with 4 new capacitors.

Collapse -
Capacitors
by notatech59 / January 15, 2010 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: thank you

I too had problem with blown capacitors. I replaced four of them with higher voltage caps. Yes it remedied the problem,of taking a long time to come on, but a couple of months later, my t.v. just turned off by itself, and tried to come back on. It done this quite a few times, so I finally ordered a new power supply replaced it , and it worked fine for 1 week, then done the same thing. Now I don't know what my next step is....anyone got any answers?

Collapse -
Same old problem
by aljq / January 15, 2010 7:24 AM PST
In reply to: Capacitors

Not that I'm an electronics tech or have any special training but the first thing I would have done would have been to look at ALL the capacitors not just the 4 that most have been detailing as problems. There are a number of capacitors that are on the board in the same area labeled on/off. I believe these capacitors operate the switch. I hope this helps.

Collapse -
Samsung LNS4051D - Circuit Board Fix
by fcordek / January 23, 2010 7:27 PM PST

Excellent information..... My Samsung LNS4051D began experiencing the same problems last Monday, by Friday it wouldn't turn on. I replaced the 4 bulged capacitors - CM806, 811,812, & 817 - identified below; it now workes great.

It took me about an hour; I haven't soldered circuit boards since my college days, 20 years ago. A great inexpensive fix. Thanks

Collapse -
Faulty capacitors
by chang8 / February 4, 2010 10:18 PM PST

Purchased the new capacitors from Radio Shack about $ 1.59 each.
Replace all four capacitors last night ( 02/04/2010 ), television works like new.

For additional help, people should go to YOU TUBE for a streaming video of how its done, found it to be vert helpful.

Thanks again for the information on the faulty capacitors.

Collapse -
THANK YOU!!!
by mmeyers73 / June 28, 2010 9:41 AM PDT

Billne,

Can I just tell you what an awesome person you are for the post. I am an electrical idiot...Most the time I cant even get my iphone plugged into the charging cord.

I followed your advice, unscrewed some screws, bought a 8.99 solder gun at Radio Shack as well as 8 ( just in case I screwed up) capacitors and gave it my best.

30 MINUTES LATER I AM WATCHING MY SAMSUNG LCD TV AGAIN!!

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

( seriously folks I had to also borrow a screwdriver because I don't own one)

Collapse -
Ditto That
by kimcomm / July 30, 2010 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: THANK YOU!!!

Just wanted to add my thanks. I'd never picked up a soldering iron until yesterday either. Followed these instructions and referred to how to videos on youtube. TV is working great. NOTE: My ribbon cable near the blown out capacitors was scorched, too. I reinsulated the affected wiring with small strips of electrical tape.

Collapse -
Thank you very very much !!
by Dang3r81 / August 12, 2010 12:25 AM PDT

I would just like to thank billne.....

your advice was 100% spot on. i thought to my self well its broken i cant do anymore damage so i will give it a go..... and just like you i found 2 cap's bulged i took the board off and replaced with the larger caps as you said and my TV is now working fine......
You have saved me a lot of money and i am truely greatful for your advice

The parts cost me

Collapse -
tv died
by blarson101 / October 10, 2010 4:13 PM PDT

So my TV just died tonight. No red light or anything, just wont come on. after doing some research about these capacitors i took apart the tv but none of them look blown. none have a bulge. So now what should i do? I thought about going to radio shack tomorrow and just replacing all of them anyway. hope it works.

Collapse -
tv died
by ffredluv / January 30, 2011 11:05 AM PST
In reply to: tv died

check the fuses near the power cord going into the rear of the tv,this may help ... good luck

Collapse -
LNT4065FX blown capacitors
by rayhosler / October 19, 2010 1:45 AM PDT

I had the clicking problem when turning on the TV, but it would start up eventually after trying a time or two. Finally, the picture started flickering. 3 years later, on the day my extended warranty expired, I called the place I bought it and found out I missed the warranty by 1 day. I watched a YouTube video and realized I could do this repair. Replaced blown CM806, CM811, CM812, CM817, all 1000uF 10v, with capacitors salvaged from a bad LCD monitor power board, this time 16v for good measure. Now TV works fine. If you registered your product with Samsung, be sure to let them know, as if they didn't know already. Was this a design flaw, or defective capacitors?

Collapse -
Design flaw? Hardly!
by dvldolphin / July 2, 2011 11:07 AM PDT

I'm forty-three years old, which makes me old enough to have seen some long-lasting appliances from days-gone-by. A great uncle of mine used to own an antique hardware store before he died in the late 80s. Over the back porch of the store was an original 200 watt light bulb from the Edison factory. My great uncle told me that he'd put the bulb in TWENTY-SIX YEARS earlier and had never turned off the light! Yeah, that's right, the bulb burned continuously for 26 years! Where is that ancient technology today? Gone! And I wouldn't go looking for it if you know what's good for you! Also, when I was I child, we had a 4:3 Zenith vacuum tube color television that we bought in 1974. It worked until 1987, when we sold it in a yard sale. The screen edges had a rainbow effect when powered on, but it worked. No consumer-grade product of the 21rst century will ever last more than a few years, get used to it! We've been living in the Age of the Landfill for decades now, and it isn't going to change.

I replaced the blown capacitors in my Samsung but it still will not power on, so off to the landfill it goes.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.