HP forum

LJ100 MFP M175nw OCR software disk not included in box

by Rzisce / October 27, 2013 3:35 AM PDT

Everywhere I look and read, Readiris was supposed to have shipped with my printer. It did not. I wasted three hours in chat sessions and telephone calls. I can't get this thru to them that I didn't get this disk. They keep saying this is included on the install disk. Even though their manual states it's a separate disk and I have told them this is third party software which is never included on the install disk, I cannot get through to these people. All I want is a copy of the disk which should have been in the box on the day I received my printer. What a useless company.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LJ100 MFP M175nw OCR software disk not included in box
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LJ100 MFP M175nw OCR software disk not included in box
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The painful chat session
by Rzisce / October 27, 2013 3:37 AM PDT

I was going to paste the chat contents in here but they have carefully made sure that the chat session must contain some type of invalid characters.

"Your submission includes invalid characters. Note that only characters on a standard English keyboard will be accepted."

Collapse -
So why not return it since the product was missing parts?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2013 3:39 AM PDT

It's missing parts so you have a good reason to send it back.

Collapse -
Why I won't return it
by Rzisce / October 27, 2013 3:41 AM PDT

Because I bought it last December. I thought all along it was just a bad scanner and that's why it had no OCR capabilities. I didn't know what was missing. When I started Googling it today, I found out that there was supposed be this software included with it. Should I have read the manual on day one? I didn't get a manual with it either. The full manual was found today, online. All I got with it was some sheets giving install instructions and wifi connectivity.

Collapse -
Very few scanners have OCR capability. Keep reading.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2013 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Why I won't return it

The OCR feature is rarely in the scanner. As you figured out it's done on the host computer. Long ago there were the Kurzweil scanners (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Kurzweil ) but as computers became more powerful that feature moved out the scanner and into the computer.

I make no apology for HP but my bet is that their documentation is in error or you have run afoul of folk that won't just call out that it came with a lone CD.

For example a M175nw at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02696056&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5076465 calls out one lone CD.

To cut costs they make a single CD and since I'm not there to see if it's buried on the lone CD our choices are simple. The product appears to not have what they said it did (the debate about it being on its own CD is not one I will enter) then it does not matter it was months ago.

You didn't get Readiris it appears in any form so time to insist on the return. I'm sure and if you are right it's not there on the lone CD then you will prevail even if you have to go to small claims court.

Collapse -
I'm not going to bother. I'll go out and buy the program.
by Rzisce / October 27, 2013 4:52 AM PDT

I'd be more than happy to find it on the install disk, but I've searched it over and over for numerous titles, (OCR, Readiris, etc.)

That link you sent me might be what I need. It shows one cd, but that doesn mean there is only one cd in the box. That just shows how the product is presented. Take a look at the far right column. It states

175a model : CE865-60137

175nw model : CE866-60104

Both models : CE865-60138

Both models : CE865-60139

Seems to me that means that for my model, the 175nw: I should have three disks. The Windows disk, the Mac disk, and the ReadIris disk. What I have are the two disks, the Windows disk and the Mac disk. There are clearly three different part numbers. CE866-60104 and CE865-60138 and CE865-60139. The CE865-60139 is what I didn't get.

Collapse -
Like I said.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2013 5:49 AM PDT

Not something I'd debate. It's clearly missing and you have a good leg to stand on for getting a full refund as the product is not complete.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.