Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Live USB/CD

by wiki131wiki / May 7, 2010 7:59 AM PDT

How do I create a Live USB/CD of Windows 7?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Live USB/CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Live USB/CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can't
by Jimmy Greystone / May 7, 2010 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Live USB/CD

You can't, and that is by design.

That's the short answer. The longer answer is that it's possible, but it's a violation of the Windows EULA so it's illegal, it's extremely difficult to do even for people who know what they're doing, which you don't or you wouldn't even need to ask, and the end result is really not very useful. So you have one legal, and two serious technical issues to contend with. Which is why I will now refer you back to the short answer.

Collapse -
Unless...
by CassandraF_WinTeam / May 10, 2010 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: You can't

You mean you want to do it legally by purchasing Windows 7 from the Microsoft Store. If this is the case, you will need the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool - http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool.

If this question was asked with illegal intentions, please refer back to Jimmy's short answer.

Cassandra

Collapse -
by wiki131wiki / May 10, 2010 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Unless...

I was planning on doing it legally. When I buy it from the Microsoft Store and install it on a flash drive. Will it be allowed to boot off of the USB like a Live USB or just install it from the USB to my hard drive?

Collapse -
(NT) The latter
by Jimmy Greystone / May 10, 2010 12:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply
Collapse -
Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool
by CassandraF_WinTeam / May 11, 2010 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: The latter

Yep, what Jimmy said. You will install Windows 7 from the USB to your hard drive. The Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool I previously linked you to will help guide you through the process.

Cheers,
Cassandra

Collapse -
read on...
by fortigaki / January 13, 2011 9:16 AM PST
In reply to: Live USB/CD

0. Have administrator rights - assume that is your PC and not for a example a corporate one with limited user rights.

1. Have the original Win7 DVD or the converted .iso file from the DVD. In the latter case mount it with a program like Virtual CloneDrive. Take a note of the Drive letter - assume D: from now on.

2. Connect the usb stick and take note of the letter - assume U: from now on. The stick should be at least 4GB. Backup any data prior to this. Format it with NTFS file system (from the file explorer, right click on the usb drive, select format).

3. Goto to Command Prompt shortcut, right click on it, and select Run As Administrator.

4. Type DISKPART <enter>. The prompt changes to "DISKPART>".

5. Type LIST DISK <enter>. You should see a list of your drives including the USB stick. Take a note of the drive number on the left. You should be able to distinguish it by size. An example:
DISKPART> LIST DISK

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 298 GB 0 B
Disk 1 Online 15 GB 127 MB
Disk 2 Online 7676 MB 0 B

In this case disk0 is the main hard disk, disk1 is a usb stick, disk 2 is another usb stick. Assume that Disk 2 is the stick I want to format/make bootable.

Type SELECT DISK 2

DISKPART> SELECT DISK 2

Disk 2 is now the selected disk.

You can type LIST DISK to verify that it was selected; chack the asterisk on the left.
DISKPART> LIST DISK

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 298 GB 0 B
Disk 1 Online 15 GB 127 MB
* Disk 2 Online 7676 MB 0 B

Type LIST PARTITION <enter> It should display 1 partition.
DISKPART> LIST PARTITION

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 7672 MB 4096 KB

Type SELECT PARTITION 1 <enter>

Make it active. Type ACTIVE <enter>

If you type a LIST PARTITION you verify it by the asterisk in the left column
DISKPART> LIST PARTITION

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
* Partition 1 Primary 7672 MB 4096 KB

We're done for the moment, so type EXIT <enter> to exit the DISKPART utility.

6. From the command prompt go to the dvd drive or the mounted iso virtual drive, assume D: (remember step 1 ?)

Type CD BOOT <enter>

Remember substitute U for the usb drive letter (see step 2)
Type BOOTSECT /NT60 U: <enter>

Type EXIT <enter> to exit the command prompt.

7. Open a file explorer go to the dvd or mounted iso image and SELECT ALL the contents of the DVD/ISO. Then simply paste them to the USB drive.

8. DONE.

9. Alternatively, discard Steps 0-8 and use the microsoft or some other utility; though no challenge!

Cheers

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.