Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Question

Live Mail; A problem occurred while trying to open this mail

by tonybushell / May 13, 2013 8:57 PM PDT

I am using Windows Live Mail and Widows 7. Live Mail works very well except for an error message 'A problem occurred while trying to open this mail. Please try again' This message appears when opening nearly all messages the first time but seldom when reopening them. With one addressee it never comes up. Trying again does not solve it. Greatful ffor advice on how to cure this irritaating litle problem. Thank you.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Live Mail; A problem occurred while trying to open this mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Live Mail; A problem occurred while trying to open this mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Small world.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2013 2:06 AM PDT

I had a few reports of that and it turned out the machines had either an infection or an incompatible set of protection.

One person had installed more than one antivirus and the other had a trojan on the PC.

I've yet to see this as an issue with WLM and 7 alone.
Bob

Collapse -
Live Mail; A problem occurred while trying to open this mai
by tonybushell / May 16, 2013 7:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Small world.

Thank you Bob, but this does not seem to be the problem. I am using AVG and have just doen a complete virus scan with it and found nothing. I have also scrupously removed all trace of Kaspersky I used last year, and I only use the Windows firewall in addition to AVG.
The problem affects most mails, but not every one, and once opened they are never thereafter a problem.
Regards,
Tony.

Collapse -
Re: problem opening mail
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 16, 2013 7:45 PM PDT

And what happens if you disable the AVG mail scanner? My guess: all mails will open normally.

Then it's up to you to decide how to solve it. One option would be to switch to another antivirus program. But let's first see if it makes a difference.

Kees

Collapse -
: Live Mail; A problem occurred while trying to open this ma
by tonybushell / May 23, 2013 8:16 PM PDT

Thank you Kees,
I have had the AVG mail scanner turned off now for about a fortnight and it has not made any difference. I have only just signed up to AVG and am therefore reluctant to switch to another anti virus program..So I will just put up with the inconvenience I suppose.
Incidentally the problem seldom occurs with the daily weather report I get by e-mail from Meteo France.
Tony.

Collapse -
Same problem here
by zeebell / June 15, 2013 1:25 PM PDT

I use Avast and now, it's started doing it on my "real" email addy of cox. Before it only happened on 1 of my gmail accounts I have piped into my WL email.

I've run, Malwarebytes, Super Anti-spyware and they show me clean. So does my Avast scan.

Collapse -
Answer
I've had the same problem --- but I've got a fix!!!
by zeebell / June 17, 2013 1:43 PM PDT

I've battled this situation for a long time as long as I have IE9 and using Windows live mail. If I use Chrome, it doesn't happen; however, I prefer 9 because Chrome does not give true colors of things.

Anyway, just this evening, I figured out a work around for this. Don't delete the message when it's open and you're reading it. If I do, then I get that darned error message and the next 2-3 emails will not let me open them as they show the same erros. However, by reading EACH one and closing them before moving on to the next one, I seem to have eliminated that stupid error.

Go figure!

Collapse -
Live Mail; A problem occurred while trying to open this mai
by tonybushell / June 18, 2013 3:42 AM PDT

Thank you for your help but my problem ids that this message comes up and the I cannot read the message unless I try one of several dodges that seem to work, eg open a previously read message (some addressees regularly open first time!) and scroll to the one that gets the message, or keep on trying and sometime it just works. Crazy!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.