Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Live Essentials is the worse program suite I ever saw

by LizardKing1 / June 23, 2012 12:22 AM PDT

Windows XP, SP3. I've been using MSN Messenger since, well, since it was called MSN Messenger. It just worked. For some time now it's been Windows Live Essentials, which just sucks to a degree that is staggering when compared to any other program.

First of all, I have 2 e-mail accounts, it's funny how I couldn't add contacts on one because "this Windows Live service isn't available right now", but I logged out, logged in the other account and voila - added.

So I decided to update my Windows Live Essentials anyway. I use IObit uninstaller, which deletes every leftover files and registry keys. The built-in uninstaller apparently had a seizure and didn't uninstall half of it. Then I deleted the million leftovers. Of course when all this was done there were still lots of broken shortcuts and WL folders around. I used a program called ZapMessenger - the ONLY program that has worked accordingly so far - and it deleted everything but some folders in Common Files.

I tried re-installing WLE just with Messenger, it installs, but really badly. First of all in C:\Program Files\Windows Live\ there's only the Messenger folder, no Installer, nothing. I had to download wlarp.exe from some shady filesharing website, because apparently Microsoft relies on 3rd party to remove its crappy programs. Not only do their programs suck, they don't care to make removal tools available.

So the re-installed Live Messenger won't work, it gives me the 80040154 error meaning I had to get some program called msxml3.msi. Didn't work. Most people with this error say some other program called which when I open and run says I already have a newer Contact Platform.

I'm exhausted. I'm sick of Microsoft, sick of the crappy suite that is WLE, sick of searching for error codes. I didn't mark this as a rant because I really need help solving this.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Live Essentials is the worse program suite I ever saw
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Live Essentials is the worse program suite I ever saw
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Messenger
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 23, 2012 12:32 AM PDT

If it worked the first time, it should work now if you reinstall it from the original installer. A newer version most likely works after install. Unless, of course, all your cleaning the registry and deleting folders deleted something essential from Windows.

If you prefer an older version, why not install that again from the installer you put on your backup?

Collapse -
Re: Messenger
by LizardKing1 / June 23, 2012 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Messenger

I downloaded the WLE installer from Microsoft twice now. It's the online installer, so it'd downloading the files. It just installs it poorly for some reason. I'm the administrator in my computer. I have no idea why this is happening.

Even if I deleted something, it should be re-installed right? Live Messenger isn't exactly a core program, I think it can be uninstalled and re-installed.

Collapse -
Re: msxml
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 23, 2012 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Messenger

I see that msxml version 3 SP1 is from 2001. Version 4 is in my Windows\system32 folder. Version 5 seems to come with Office 2010, and for some reason I have downloaded the installer for version 6 (msxml6.msi) myself.

I'm sure that Essentials can be uninstalled and reinstalled, if you uninstall it from Control Panel. But since you mention 3 other programs, they might have messed it up.

Collapse -
Re: msxml
by LizardKing1 / June 23, 2012 1:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: msxml

I used an uninstaller which is much better than the Windows Add/Remove Programs. Like any other uninstaller, it uses the program's built-in uninstaller, and then it uses it's own program to delete extra files. That's it. IObit can't uninstall something badly because IObit didn't uninstall anything.

This is a Windows Live issue. How could a bad uninstall cause a bad re-install? At most it would say the program is already installed.

Collapse -
Re: uninstall
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 23, 2012 10:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: msxml

Most programs can be reinstalled without doing an uninstall first. Personally, I only uninstall if I don't need the program any more.

Collapse -
Re-Windows Live Essentials.-
by andreaborman / August 11, 2012 6:18 AM PDT

Well if you think that Windows Live Messenger 2009 is bad.You have not seen nothing yet.

On Windows Vista and Windows 7 Microsoft want you to upgrade to Windows Live Essentials 2011.And that is HORRIBLE.

And even worse Microsoft have now released Windows Live Essentials 2012.Which is even worse than the 2011 version.

I myself like WLE 2009 and I have it installed on all of my Windows Vista,Windows 7 and Windows 8 netbooks. I hate WLE 2011 version. To run WL messenger 2009 on Windows Vista,Windows 7 and Windows 8,I set Messenger in program compatibility mode for Windows XP.

And I have WL Mesenger 8.5 installed on one Windows 7 netbook. And I run that in program compatibility mode for Windows 2000. And MSN Messenger 7.5 works if you set it to run in compatibility mode for Windows 2000. I hpe this helps. Andrea Borman.

Collapse -
WLE 2012 was lousy. Even worse, they now have Outlook
by Darrell / August 15, 2012 10:38 PM PDT
They are both lousy. I have 1 email address and cannot install other addresses, after 3 weeks, I give up!
So the one has been added to Thunderbird along with 4 other addresses, 2 & 2 I cleaned out the registry of extranious Windows Live. I emailled and this is what they say:
Thank you for sending an e-mail message to However, this is not a monitored e-mail address. If you need assistance, please consult the Windows Live Mail Help pages or visit

Thank You,

The Windows Live Mail Team

Yeah, right! With 37 years of sobriety I can smell kaka
Collapse -
Re-WLE 2012 was lousy-
by andreaborman / August 16, 2012 12:11 AM PDT

Well just uninstall WLE 2012 or WLE 2011 and re-install WLE 2009,like I have done.

If you set Windows Live Messenger to run in program compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3 or Service Pack 2.Messenger 2009 will work again on Windows 7,Windows Vista and Windows8.

I have got WLE 2009 on all of my Windows 7,Windows 8 and Windows Vista laptops. And I am not going to install WLE 2011 or 2012 version-no NEVER. I am staying on WLE 2009 version. Andrea Borman.

Collapse -
Reinstall Windows
by mousegolf / July 7, 2014 11:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Re-WLE 2012 was lousy-

Here's the scoop the is spot on.

After a couple years of using Windows XP, Vista and 7 a person tends to explorer, delete, adjust and uninstall programs that may have removed important system files. The upside, one has learned more about their operating system in that process. So what is the solution? Reinstalling Windows, period. Unplug your internet connection and simply begin the installation of Windows. Use your hidden partition, recovery disks, a retail disk etc.

After the installation install your most important programs. (stay away from the Internet until it's time to start downloading Windows Updates). Install WLE2009, old Office Suites (I use Office 2000 on Windows 7) and other older programs you enjoy.

Remove all the bloatware that came from the OEM (be sure you know which ones can be uninstalled).

Connect to the Internet and go to Windows Updates Manually: Keep doing that all day long until you have every important and optional update that you need or want. Manually? Yes. You want to find WLE2011 and WE2012 to hide them when you Check for new Updates. When all the updates are up-to-date then install the rest of your programs.

Collapse -
Best: Windows Live Mail 2009
by mousegolf / July 29, 2015 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Reinstall Windows

Long since these posts Microsoft purchased Skype, which now replaces Messenger. If you have Messenger installed you might as well go to Programs and Features and remove it from WLE 2009 Suite.

I am an expert with Windows OSes and can tell you that both WLE2009 and WLE2012 work just fine BUT, if you are running any type of Registry Cleaner/Optimizer you are most likely corrupting the installation of Windows Live Mail/Calendar 2009/2012.

No NEW installation of either program will repair the damage to the registry.

#1 Rule. The safest and easy to backup Registry cleaner is CCleaner. Nothing more than that is necessary for anyone's Windows OS.

I prefer Windows Live Mail 2009 over 2011/2012 upgrades. I don't like my files being in the cloud and I don't like how I cannot easily "insert" an image in versions 2011/2012. Also, I don't like the busy Toolbar and Ribbon. Yes you can hide the Ribbon but Microsoft went way overboard with the new Toolbars in all it's clerical products IMHO.

So. If you want to have a great email experience backup all your User Files and Folders, reinstall W7 or W8 and install WLE 2009. It's out there to download from reputable sites. I have the suite on my server as well. If you want a copy of it contact me through my site (see profile) and I will send you a link to the WLE2009 Suite. Yes, it's clean and it's the original 2009 version.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.