Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

listening to an m4A file using windows media player?

by captahag2 / December 19, 2005 8:22 AM PST

I'm trying to listen to an m4A file on windows media player. Any help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: listening to an m4A file using windows media player?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: listening to an m4A file using windows media player?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your light reading.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2005 8:37 AM PST
Collapse -
sorry, but i don't know what to do
by captahag2 / December 19, 2005 9:19 AM PST
In reply to: Your light reading.

i've read all this and so i understand pretty well what it all means. but i can't figure out what to actually do to play the file. i'm sorry.

Collapse -
In the first 2 items...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2005 12:10 PM PST

Players were noted. However I didn't see a plugin or codec for WMP. If this is your goal (WMP) then I think you might be out of luck.

Please share a bit more about this file. Where would I get one to try out?

Bob

Collapse -
m4 file
by Aivas / December 19, 2005 10:45 PM PST

Oddly enough, one such file came up here at work. It's an Apple-compatible file, if I remember correctly, and we had one producer with a program that would open and play it. We converted it to something more PC oriented.

Bob K
Infinity (oops, CBS Radio)
Baltimore, MD

Collapse -
aha
by captahag2 / December 19, 2005 10:54 PM PST
Collapse -
That might be an iTunes file.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2005 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: aha

Sometimes noted as AAC files, itunes will play it. There is a FORMAT WAR going on here so you may never find a codec to cure this.

Bob

Collapse -
can I listen an m4A file using windows media player
by ziqbal / December 25, 2005 4:33 PM PST

i have p4 system with windows xp

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2005 9:03 PM PST

If the supplied information didn't let you, then no you can't (today.) Maybe someday it will happen.

Bob

Collapse -
OK already - I get it (i think)
by maxxx / December 28, 2005 12:27 PM PST
In reply to: No.

...so if I'm understanding this correctly. Just because I got an ipod for Christmas, does not mean I should go converting all of my mp3's to m4a's - right? I should keep two sets of my music until we see who wins the war...

Collapse -
You may want to ask that question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2005 8:16 PM PST

The topic of this discussion was answered. If you wish to start a new discussion, please do so.

Bob

Collapse -
yes you can
by dirkthejerk / January 22, 2006 7:02 AM PST
Collapse -
what if..
by matteospots / May 21, 2006 12:38 PM PDT
In reply to: yes you can

what if it says that the 3ivx D4 4.5.1 is the older version.. my computer already has the new one.. but it still doesnt play the .m4a file in windows media player?

Collapse -
Some M4A is DRM'd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2006 9:25 PM PDT
In reply to: what if..

DRM material may never play outside it's own player. If this discussion didn't find a fix then you can try uninstalling it all and trying again, but since DRM is here to stay I'd forget about M4A and head back to plain old MP3.

Bob

Collapse -
VLC
by potissimus / July 31, 2008 12:42 AM PDT

Download VideoLan's VLC Media Player. It can playback a ton of file types on a Windows System. This way you don't need 40 different apps to play the audio files created by different corporate machines.

Collapse -
Playing m4a audio with VLC
by barrington2 / October 14, 2008 11:58 AM PDT
In reply to: VLC

VLC does not play my m4a audio files.

Collapse -
That could be proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2008 6:14 AM PDT

Remember that VLC PLAYER should fail on DRM'd files.

Collapse -
m4A files
by jc3stack / April 25, 2009 9:33 AM PDT

I'm trying to add some files in the form of m4A to i-tunes but it will not allow this! Do i have to convert them to mp3 or aac first? Is that even possible? Thanks.

Collapse -
M4A files
by otr_man / June 16, 2009 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: m4A files

If you are trying to play a DRM file (i.e. a file encrypted to prevent it being copied), but you "forgot" to mention in your original post that it's a DRM file, then you're out of luck.

Unlike Windows 98SE, there is no way to play a DRM file in Windows ME, which uses WDM audio (Windows Driver Model) instead of the older, hackable system used by Win98.

If it's NOT a DRM file, then it should play in Winamp 5 (any version from 5.0 to 5.13), available from http://www.oldversion.com/Winamp.html

Alternatively, try renaming the file extension from .M4A to .MP4 since many players will recognise an mp4 audio (m4a) file in the more widely supported mp4 format; mp4 is really a video format, and an m4a file is merely an mp4 file that's just encoded as audio-only.

Collapse -
Convert M4a files for use with Windows Media Player
by reubenprice / August 7, 2011 3:50 PM PDT

I resolved this problem for PC. The file was generated on an apple and I only have a PC. I used YouTube Downloader to convert it into MP3. YouTube Downloader is free to download and very handy for converting Audio and Video files into other formats. Hope that helps:)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.