TVs & Home Theaters

Question

Listen to Pandora Web App thru Denon receiver

by CharmCity797 / January 13, 2013 11:14 PM PST

I have a DENON AVR-1913.

I also have a VIZIO web-enabled TV.

In order to hear audio from TV web apps (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Pandora) over the sound system, what connection do I need to make?

Currently I have an optical cable that allows me to hear the audio signal out of the TV only.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Listen to Pandora Web App thru Denon receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Listen to Pandora Web App thru Denon receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Which Vizio model do you have?
by Pepe7 / January 13, 2013 11:53 PM PST

It may not be possible to stream Pandora to an external device via the digital optical port. Checking in the manual is the first place to start, then at Vizio support sites. I can't look in the manual though until you give me a model number ;).

If it is allowed by the manufacturer, then you would do it the same way you have been- via digital optical out on the Vizio, to digital optical in on the Denon receiver.

-Pedro

Collapse -
Re: Model Number & optical cable
by CharmCity797 / January 14, 2013 12:03 AM PST

Vizio XVT3SV series (cannot narrow that down, not at home)

What is happening now, is the optical cable is hooked up (HDTV to receiver) and I can listen to web apps through TV speakers...

I looked into s-video (no jack on the Denon). I looked into old school AV cables (red, yellow, white), no luck.

Might I try a secondary HDMI? (in addition to the one going from HDTV to ARC jack on Denon).

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 12:10 AM PST

It appears that these apps are buggy. In another make the HDTV maker admitted they don't write the apps and in some apps they will not output over the optical or ARC connection.

I'm sure you have lived through Windows and bugs. Here we are again.
Bob

Collapse -
Where would that second HDMI cable go exactly?
by Pepe7 / January 15, 2013 4:38 AM PST

Where else besides a receiver would you want to connect it?? <stumped by that one>

ARC should technically work, although even though both devices support the ARC, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will work (not what you wanted to hear, I realize.) Add apps on a 'smart' HDTV to the mix, and practically all bets are off per se. Sad

Double check the model number of the HDTV again so I can look it up though.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.