The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

List BOL suggestions here

by wizardjs / November 1, 2006 8:59 AM PST

Mine:

1: ..... I got nothing. BOL is perfect.

2: Maybe some more regular segments, like Google Watch, or RumorMill on the Loose. I know you cover it haphazardly as it happens, but a regular round of short segments (think Buzz Report) would be kool. And, possibly the ressureciton of Buzz On and Buzz Off a a regular segment.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: List BOL suggestions here
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: List BOL suggestions here
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ahhhhhh..It could be better, I like the segment idea ;-)
by Skeeteron_mypeter / November 1, 2006 9:29 AM PST

I like the format and the group but the show could be better.

1. I like the segment idea but the show would get boring if it was overdone. Maybe like once a week, focus on a particular topic, item, technology, and or whatever they decide on. This would also break-up all of the Apple stuff that gets talked about.

2. I would like to see an occasional video segment of "Buzz Out Loud". Even if the crew had to dress up for the cameras...it would still be worth it. Wink Maybe once a month they could do a video episode in their office or some location. Of course, they would still release the episode in audio.

3. I always enjoy a good disagreement. I know that Molly, Veronica and Tom are colleagues and very chummy to each other but on occasions, a good disagreement is healthy. Hey you three, disagree every once in a while on a topic, technology or item. I think that you three are professional enough to disagree with each other and still be friends. Give it some thought. Wink

4. CNET has very good reporters and journalist. Hey guys...how come you do not mention them? CNET release very informative articles and stories....yet you always talked about what you read in "Ars Technica". By not mentioning CNET resources, you are indirectly telling your audience that CNET news sources are not credible. If CNET has an article regarding some breaking news story, a quick reference to the story and the writer who wrote it is not out of order. Then if you want to mention "Ars Technica" having the same story...that is all well and good.

Great Show!
That is my opinion...what's yours? Wink

Collapse -
Occasional video podcast?
by jialuolu-2096123418310153 / November 1, 2006 10:24 AM PST

It'd be cool to see a video BOL from time to time. The SoaP premiere video podcast was really awesome Happy

Collapse -
I think it's a "lean" podcast program...
by shawnlin / November 1, 2006 11:21 PM PST

Honestly, I think it's a great format of spreading and talking about cool news as it happens. Yeah, sometimes I wish they would cover something that they didn't, but usually over a week a comprehensive list of tech/engineering/science topics are covered.

The GoogleTalk or RumorMill stuff is already sprinkled in as needed. In fact, everything is done as needed and not just for the sake of doing it - that's what makes it a "lean" podcast and tech news program, I think.

I really like the most recent MP3 Insider program where they had "listener" feedback day - that would be cool.
Or maybe a weekly quiz or puzzler as done on Car Talk?

Otherwise, just keep it up and keep it lean Happy

Collapse -
I fear change
by csliva11 / November 1, 2006 11:29 PM PST

Nah, it's good the way it is.

It got me thinking though. What would happen if one of the BOL crew left the program? For instance, if Molly, Tom or Veronica went on to bigger and better things, would I keep listening to the program? I really don't want to think about that anymore. I'll just enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) "...and will stick to me bushes" lol
by robstak / November 6, 2006 7:59 AM PST
In reply to: I fear change
Collapse -
Monkeys...Dancing Monkeys
by zippyG / November 2, 2006 12:09 AM PST

More random humor with the subtle use of a laugh track so I know what is funny. In all seriousness you have a winning formula...keep on keep'n on.

Collapse -
more videocasts and after-episode stuff
by aribeiro2 / November 2, 2006 12:11 AM PST

i guess if we have a weekly buzz out loud short videocast every week (like 5 minutes) it would be great!
videos are just cooler than audio...

and i guess you should add again those after-episode funny stuff...

Collapse -
More candy induced rants!
by pyrofenix / November 2, 2006 12:47 AM PST

I thought the random comments and off-topic discussions were pretty hilarious! Keep those up! Mmm, Cheese!

Collapse -
regarding "Buzz on/off" segment idea...
by shawnlin / November 2, 2006 1:02 AM PST

how about a listener debate in which TMV poses a topic and the listners take a position and do a BREIF point/counterpoint debate, and then TMV discuss the debate, the insights, and their judgement. This is similar to the "Judgement" segment as done on CNET's UK Crave podcast. I also like the "wtf" segment on that podcast...neat, crazy stuff...

Collapse -
Love all the hosts... but a constructive criticism...
by fatbiker / November 2, 2006 1:39 AM PST

I love this podcast and all three of the hosts, but occasionally, when Molly is making a great point, I find that she gets really quiet. I have to hurry up and turn up the volume of my ipod (maybe even backup and replay her comment), and then hurry up and turn it back down before Tom or Veronica start speaking.

Maybe it's just me. Anyone else notice this?

Collapse -
high pitches
by aribeiro2 / November 2, 2006 2:06 AM PST

sometimes i have to turn up the volume too, but then Veronica or Molly starts talking, and my ears hurt!

but i guess it's not only with Molly... everyone talks quietly sometimes...

Collapse -
What's your budget... :)
by creativecaptions / November 2, 2006 2:27 AM PST

As a Daily Podcast, you're already more timely than say, TWIT. Throwing out some things off the top of my head:

Video: It's always fun to watch!
More Swag: It's always fun to win things.
Swag Store: For those not minding to pay to show their BOL support.
Guests: Cranky Geeks had Neil Gaimon!!
BOL Favorites: Incorporate some of Cnet's reviews into your shows. Maybe adding Books and movies about technology.

If you need to add another sponsor or two to pay for some of these things, that wouldn't chase me off either.

Dennis O.

Collapse -
Blogroll
by Xolith / November 2, 2006 3:25 AM PST

Simply

Collapse -
News/entertainment
by hetapia / November 2, 2006 4:12 AM PST

The podcast is similar to The Best Week Ever, Daily Show or The Soup in which news is being recapped and or reviewed. I watch these types of shows more for their entertainment value and less for the actually news or information. If I want news I'll go to Ars Technica, WSJ on line, CNN or I have access to a scrolling news i.e., Business Wire and PR Newswire. I listen to the podcast for its entertainment value and the jovial manner in which it's delivered. The podcast should skew more entertainment rather than hard core news. You should also reduce the number of rants. I equate rants to pet peeves and the only people who find them interesting are other people with similar pet peeves e.g., Molly, I get it you hate DRM and why Tom won't admit he went to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (Go Illini! class of 1995). You hear bits and pieces relating to the school but never a full fledge admission of attendance. Continuing my rant, I don't like Veronica's east coast bias. My displeasure with the east coast is from the following: why do they call sprinkles "jimmies"? Don't even get me started on frappes vs. milk shakes. See, Molly's rant full of hate and mine some what amusing. The long and short of it, BOL needs some comedy writers and maybe some comic timing classes. Punchlines tend to get trampled on by the others.

Later

Esteban from Chicago

Collapse -
News/entertainment
by hetapia / November 2, 2006 4:12 AM PST

The podcast is similar to The Best Week Ever, Daily Show or The Soup in which news is being recapped and or reviewed. I watch these types of shows more for their entertainment value and less for the actually news or information. If I want news I'll go to Ars Technica, WSJ on line, CNN or I have access to a scrolling news i.e., Business Wire and PR Newswire. I listen to the podcast for its entertainment value and the jovial manner in which it's delivered. The podcast should skew more entertainment rather than hard core news. You should also reduce the number of rants. I equate rants to pet peeves and the only people who find them interesting are other people with similar pet peeves e.g., Molly, I get it you hate DRM and why Tom won't admit he went to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (Go Illini! class of 1995). You hear bits and pieces relating to the school but never a full fledge admission of attendance. Continuing my rant, I don't like Veronica's east coast bias. My displeasure with the east coast is from the following: why do they call sprinkles "jimmies"? Don't even get me started on frappes vs. milk shakes. See, Molly's rant full of hate and mine some what amusing. The long and short of it, BOL needs some comedy writers and maybe some comic timing classes. Punchlines tend to get trampled on by the others.

Later

Esteban from Chicago

Collapse -
I went to the University of Illinois
by acedtect / November 2, 2006 7:52 AM PST
In reply to: News/entertainment

I attended from 1988-1992.

I was a Journalism major.

I lived in Scott Hall for two years.

There.

Happy?

Happy

-Tom

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I was in Snyder - the soda of the 6-pack. AAE '01
by shawnlin / November 3, 2006 12:16 AM PST
Collapse -
Embrace the Illini...
by dro0001 / November 4, 2006 12:37 AM PST

You must embrace your Illini roots....just not during football season.

ILL-INI!!

Collapse -
You shut your mouth...
by irafreight / November 6, 2006 2:48 PM PST
In reply to: News/entertainment

Molly Rules!!!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Fair discussions on Music Piracy and Net Neutrality
by DROrr / November 2, 2006 5:04 AM PST
Collapse -
More Non-Techiness with Personality
by totosquirt / November 2, 2006 5:10 AM PST

I love the random quotes and sayings that develop from mistakes or even from the news (i.e. gas pies). I would love to see more.

Happy

Collapse -
More in show notes
by RMScher / November 2, 2006 6:36 AM PST

I wish it were not so, but I sometimes can't listen to the podcast for a while, and when they back up, I end up scanning the show notes to see what I've missed, and what I should listen to. But, while the notes have good links to some of the topics, it really doesn't say what was discussed. I'd love to see a topic list (insert obvious joke about not staying on topic here) and maybe even time markings so I could go right to what I want to hear (engadget does a pretty good job of this on theirs). I hate missing any of the banter, but it would be better to know how to hear pieces of this rather than just deleting it all.

But as for the show--it's fun, keep it up

Collapse -
MOTS
by cbasden / November 2, 2006 6:49 AM PST

Not to be confused with COTS (commercial off the shelf) I say let's have MOTS -- more of the same!! Maybe a new jingle -- it's a buzzable day in this neighborhood, a buzzable day for neighbor, would you bee mine, could you bee mine Happy Keep on buzzin!!

Collapse -
more suggestions
by awardblvr / November 2, 2006 8:01 AM PST

Perfect personalities - don't change a thing (Don't drop M, T, or V). I think BOL could have a bit more "news component", before getting to the phones and e-mail. I suggest continuing with the same stories and ongoing commentary toward the beginning, but then introduce a short news-only segment with a little less commentary. Each person providing a couple quick stories.

You may want to open this up just a little bit further than games, phones, and OS's. I know you do already, but there could be just a bit more. I think you could add focus-segments. For example: Car technology (aka Brian Cooley), Networking and connectivity, Home theater, Home Automation (me), new software products/revisions and many other topics.

I think the current logo and intro music are just fine. If you change it, please keep its air-time the same, i.e. don't introduce bumper-music or otherwise. This is wasteful of air-time.

I too, LtS. I hope you guys are paid well!

-Andrew
(San Leandro)

Collapse -
episodes' transcriptions
by aribeiro2 / November 2, 2006 8:31 AM PST

you should transcript all the shows, so we can perform a quick search in the podcast's shownotes whenever we want...

it's so hard to find the exact point when you say something that we want to hear again...

Collapse -
Scratching only makes it worse
by lazlo / November 2, 2006 12:10 PM PST

You guys are doing a great job! And our hosting, by far, my favorite netcast. Specifically?
? You have great chemistry together (all three of you), and the conversational tone of the show makes me feel like I?m grabbing coffee with friends as opposed to listening to a ?program.?
? And you gladly share your geekiness with us ? from Tom?s love of baseball, Molly?s love/hate relationship with HD, and of course where to start with Veronica (Bacon lovin?, WOW playin?, Apple fan-girlin?, Beverly hills style campin and SOoo much more). Yes, this is a good thing.
? You add to the conversational tone by including our e-mails/calls ? another good thing!
? News Research ? you guys do a great job combing the ?INTERNETS? for all that is hip and cool in our techie geek world, and share it with us. It makes me seem much cooler and more knowledgable at parties (?You?re still on myspace?! ? that is so ?05, facebook is where it?s at dude!?) than I really am. And you guys do a much better job gathering this news, and making it seem interesting than a headline I might pass over.
? The balance is good ? you guys make time for tech news, gadgets, tv shows and movies, sometimes all at once.
? Oh, and I even like the intro music, it?s short, sweet, and tells me my favorite podcast is about to begin. Thanks guys, good show.

Suggestions: Free stuff! Give aways are always good!

Collapse -
No strangers. More free stuff
by Darayz / November 3, 2006 12:47 AM PST

I love the podcast the way it is, but since you guys opened the field for suggestions, I couldn't help myself.

1) A little segment in the podcast dedicated to where we were in tech terms 1, 5, or even 10 years ago to the day. It's always fun to reminisce the days of dial up.

2) I hope you guys don't do on air interviews. The 3 of you talking makes great chemistry. Why screw it up with a STRANGER.

3) How about some more interation with the forum. Shout-outs to the best or most interesting topics would be cool. More incentive to get on the forum.

4) Free stuff is always cool as somoene mentioned earlier. But I'm already getting my t-shirt this week =)

Those are my 2 cents. Take it as you will . .

Collapse -
Skype call in
by gogomama / November 3, 2006 5:33 AM PST

My only suggestion is occasional live call ins. Maybe once a week try to record the show at a regular time and let listeners skype in and ask questions live. If they say something bad that's what editing is for.

Also, I'm not entirely familiar with how it works but I understand you can have around 100 people (I think) listening to a Skype Cast in which you could record a show live (to the 100 or so on the cast anyway) and then they could interact as the show is going on. I know that's a pretty limited number of people but it allows people to call in to discuss what is currently being talked about.

Collapse -
It sets a standard
by MacHugger / November 3, 2006 7:15 AM PST
In reply to: Skype call in

I have my occasional gripes with BOL (usually forum related issues like forum moderation Happy ) but for me, the podcast itself sets the standard by which I measure all other podcasts.

My second favorite is The Instance, a World of Warcraft podcast produced by Scott from Salt Lake - one of the BOL community members. You've seen him on the forums and heard TMV talk about him on the podcast sometimes and heard his phone calls.

Anyhow, BOL is professionally produced, cares for its audience, encourages participation FROM its audience and serves it up regularly 5 days a week. Just try and find one out there that tops it. Seriously.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) <--- oops, move above reply out one tab.
by MacHugger / November 3, 2006 7:16 AM PST
In reply to: It sets a standard
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.