Linux forum

General discussion

linux on external hd on ntfs and fat32

by trolyy / October 17, 2007 4:48 AM PDT

Okeys,

I am wanting to install ubuntu on my external HDD after my windows attempt failed (but that?s a different topic). Will ubuntu install and run on an ntfs file system? Secondly my external drive is partitioned 30 GB (will be Linux, ntfs) and 200GB (has backed up data, ntfs at the moment but going to format it in FAT32 ). My internal HDD is a mixture of everything and I am maxed out on partitions on that one, so forget about that. I heard of ntfs-3g but it doesn?t look straight forward to install.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217009
Any feed back would be welcome.

Si.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: linux on external hd on ntfs and fat32
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: linux on external hd on ntfs and fat32
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sound like you are a linux newbie...
by ahtoi / October 17, 2007 12:17 PM PDT

Do you really want to missaround with things like ntfs-3g? Get some live-cd linux distro and have fun with it. No file systems to worry about.

Collapse -
yeah im useless on linux
by trolyy / October 18, 2007 5:40 AM PDT

only because iv just turned 17, and iv done everything on windows, im fairly advanced in windows and im not afraid to mess around with my xp, but iv just never used linux and it seemed like a good idea, since its free. so i have now put ubuntu on, and if i dont like that distro then i also have mandrake ready on a CD to try as well, if needed.

maybe once i get use to linux i will have the confidence to do things Happy

Si.

Collapse -
Another Linux Noob
by crazeebob2000 / October 19, 2007 1:25 PM PDT

I've had Ubuntu 7.04 and PCLinuxOS 2007 on a dual boot system with Windows XP. So far I like the PCLOS much better. I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

Collapse -
Sorry if this is too technical.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2007 12:35 AM PDT

For any OS to boot and run, the boot drive file system must be supported in it's core code. NTFS is added later after the OS has booted. I'm sure someone, somewhere has created a kernel with such in the base OS but it's not in the version we'll use today.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.