Linux forum

General discussion

Linux Lite

by itsdigger / June 26, 2013 11:43 AM PDT

I'm very impressed with this distro . I installed it next to Win 7 and Zorin today so I have 3 OS's to play with now. The thing that gets me about this one is not only how Blazing Fast it is but some how these folks took a 32 bit OS and got it to use more that 4 GB of ram . It really is impressive. Here's the link to the home page , click on take the tour and scroll down to the bottom and watch the video >> https://www.linuxliteos.com/ You might like it too...Digger

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linux Lite
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linux Lite
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
nice video
by James Denison / June 26, 2013 3:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Linux Lite
https://www.linuxliteos.com/linuxlite.html

reminds me a bit of freespire. How does it compare to lunbuntu or lxde based systems?
It's main advantage seems to be common sense names for programs instead of g*******, k*******, and so forth depending on what desktop some distro installed.
Collapse -
well I never
by itsdigger / June 26, 2013 5:51 PM PDT
In reply to: nice video

installed Lubuntu to a HDD but they are both light I think with the use of the RAM in Lite I would think it has to have the edge. I didn't like Lubuntu well enough to install it if that says anything.....Digger

Collapse -
I've used the LXDE
by James Denison / June 27, 2013 12:53 PM PDT
In reply to: well I never

...with Knoppix before, "initiating start up sequence..." LOL. I really hope that's a girl friend's voice and not his. LX desktop environment probably would appeal to most window users. His distros are more for rescue than general daily use it seems.

Collapse -
Found out
by itsdigger / June 27, 2013 9:21 AM PDT

it uses a pae kernel that allows it to use 8GB of ram. That must be why it's so fast. Now I have to figure out what a pae kernel is ...Digger

Collapse -
Only 2 gb ram
by Ray_moe / June 27, 2013 11:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Found out

I do not find it faster than Mageia3,Puppylinux Precise,Ubuntu-12.04

I guess the amount of ram make it faster than other distro's
Nice distro but not real impressive
I have not decided wether to install to hdd

Collapse -
been reading about
by itsdigger / June 27, 2013 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Only 2 gb ram

pae kernel and most of the newer distros use it . I don't think it's faster than any Puppy (I prefer Slaco myself) but I wouldn't install Puppy for my everyday os . I didn't like Ubuntu at all ,it was slow and glitchy. I have Zorin OS6 Ultimate installed and like it a lot but it's a real big distro. This Linux Lite is somewhere in between Puppy and Zorin. Not a lot of things I don't need but, everything I do(so far) is there and works just fine. It has my old Dell 530S speeding along quite nicely and it's pretty comfortable to use so I'm gonna keep it around awhile...Digger

Collapse -
I dunno what you found sir
by itsdigger / July 3, 2013 11:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Only 2 gb ram

But I've been Crankin' on this distro for a week no-stop , after all of my package installations and updates and removals of junk I installed and removed cause' I'm a newbie and I didn't need it , This Thing Just Rocks! I'm finding it akin to Lunbuntu only with some upgraded features that makes it JUMP. I'm gonna keep playing with this distro, I think you should take another look....Digger

Collapse -
And now for something completely different.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2013 11:36 AM PDT

If you are looking for light weight I wonder if Android X86 is a candidate. I have it on CD and have been surprised at its hardware support. I have this leading edge Asus touchscream i3 and a really old Gateway ec1440u and everything worked.

Worth a look.
Bob

Collapse -
You know me
by itsdigger / June 27, 2013 11:45 AM PDT

Always ready to play ! I'll look it up.

Collapse -
Is this it ?
by itsdigger / June 27, 2013 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: You know me
Collapse -
This is the one I fetched. Real fresh. 4 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2013 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Is this it ?
Collapse -
this is completely different !
by itsdigger / June 29, 2013 2:21 AM PDT

I've been playing around with it on my Toshiba laptop with the cd and can't get it to connect to the wi-fi ,does it have to be installed for wireless to work? Cool feels like I'm playing with my phone!

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2013 3:01 AM PDT

But here it just worked. I have tried it on 3 laptops and all the WiFi worked but I happen to have a Toshiba s855d-s5120 that I can try it on next week.

On the Tosh I have it's either the F12 or Fn+F12 to turn on/off the WiFi but it's one of those areas that can get wonky just like in Linux/Windows/other OSes.
Bob

Collapse -
I've tried Easy Peasy before
by James Denison / June 27, 2013 12:47 PM PDT

I think it's similar to Android type system. While it worked on a desktop, it seemed more aimed for a touchscreen, like Android. Using a mouse with it was sort of awkward.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.