Linux forum

General discussion

Linux Firewall Options - Feedback Request on Astaro

by mrquinn / June 24, 2004 7:54 AM PDT

I?m in the process of deciding on a linux-based firewall product for my company. My number one priority is that it is an all-in-one internet security software package that includes firewall, intrusion protection, virus protection, spam protection, VPN gateway, and content filtering.

I?ve been researching a product from Astaro and was hoping to get some feedback. Has anyone used their firewall before and have anything to share? Their website is . Anyone know of any other options?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linux Firewall Options - Feedback Request on Astaro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linux Firewall Options - Feedback Request on Astaro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Linux Firewall Options - Feedback Request on Astaro
by coop3dw / July 23, 2004 12:41 PM PDT

Take a look at IPCop. It?s a port of Smoothwall but I like IPCop better because you get the full package without spending a dime. Smoothwall?s free version is somewhat lacking when compared to that of IPCop.

When I first started looking into the various Linux firewalls available I ended up going with IPCop because of the cost, available features and ease of setup and administration. I have nearly 20 installations running for my clients all ranging in size from 12 to 500 users and have not had any major issues over the last year and a half.

It comes with VPN support which is relatively easy to setup between 2 IPCop firewalls and with a little hacking can be setup to handle laptop connections via the Internet or direct modem connection.

IPCop also comes with an intrusion detection system, web proxy, support for dynamic DNS, Dial-Up support, DHCP, and the ability to configure a third NIC as a DMZ.

The one other feature I like is that there are all kinds of add-ons for IPCop through and add-on service you can install (see link below). This gives further functions such as Squid Guard filtering, Tripwire and a whole site of other possible add-ons.

Administration can be done at the box itself if you?re handy with Linux or through any web browser on your internal network.

Anyway, give it a look, I really like it and I would put it up against the 10K apiece Check Point firewalls we had in place before I found IPCop.

Main Site

Help Site/Forum

Add-On Site

Collapse -
by tmick / August 20, 2004 11:47 AM PDT

You might try coyote linux's web site: they have a free version that runs from a floppy and a pay version called wolverine that does VPNs and other hardware firewalls also.

Collapse -
by lilsim89 / September 18, 2004 1:47 PM PDT

As far as I know, Astaro is your only wise choice. I advise to stick with it. I have not tried it but It is the only firewall suite that has decent functionality.
Sorry for the lack of knoledge.

Collapse -
by dragon8856 / September 23, 2004 7:36 PM PDT

Trend Micro, of Pc-cillin fame, has a small business and Enterprise suite that does all of this. It is the only anti virus package I sell to anyone, whether it's a personal home pc or one of my enterprise accounts. I do not support any other distributions. They have a proven track record over the last 6 years with me.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.