Networking & Wireless

General discussion

Linksys WRT310N Router Problems

by LittleD653 / May 28, 2008 5:14 AM PDT

Here goes...

So after living with dial-up for too long I finally decided to get cable...so I signed up for Comcast. I have two desktops and a laptop. One desktop is running ME and the other 98, and the laptop runs Vista. I wanted to set up a wireless network, so I bought the linksys WRT310N router which I was told was one of the best. I installed the router using the linksys cd and the internet worked fine on my laptop (which has a built-in Intel N card). Then I bought the linksys USB wireless adapter as it was one of the few that said it was compatible with ME. When I first installed it, the internet worked fine. However, after not too long the linksys indicator would switch from "No Connection" to "You are connected to the access point but not the internet" to "You are connected to both the access point and the internet" and back and forth between all three without me even changing anything. So I assumed that the adapter was not as compatible with ME as it said. A guy at best buy told me that Netgear would work better with ME, so I bought a Super-G PCI Wireless Adapter and installed this on the ME system instead. At first, it seemed to work much better. However, later that day and ever since, my router has been acting weird. About once a day, both my laptop and my desktop will lose the internet connection. Then, when I look at the router, the WiFi light is either off or is on but not blinking (as it normally does). If I plug my laptop into the router, I still cannot get internet. The way I have to fix this is by unplugging the router and plugging it back in, which has gotten very annoying. I have called my cable company and everything is fine on that end. I have called linksys at least 4 or 5 times and each time they have provided a different fix that has not worked (upgrading the firmware, messing with advanced settings, etc.)

What is wrong? Should I buy a Netgear router or something? What is the best and most compatible router?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linksys WRT310N Router Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linksys WRT310N Router Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Problems Most Likely Not with Linksys Components
by ajtrek / May 28, 2008 11:17 AM PDT

Not knowing your exact configuration (and the recommended USB adapter should be the Linksys WUSB600N) I'll offer the following:

Microsoft no longer supports Windows 98, 98SE or ME. Asuming you are running (at least) Vista-HP OEM and not an upgrade on your laptop the disconnect problem is probably caused by one of the other PC's on your network.

Regarding compatibility of the Linksys components with Windows 98 (all versions) and ME........

Linksys WRT310N - Minimum Requirements
? Windows XP or Vista

Linksys WUSB600N - Minimum Requirements
600 MHz or Faster PC
512 MB of RAM Memory
Available USB Port (USB 2.0 port required for fastest speeds)
Up-to-Date Windows 2000, XP, or Vista

Long story short..."If you ain't got the above you're probably done for...partner"

Good Luck

Collapse -
I dunno...
by LittleD653 / May 28, 2008 4:41 PM PDT

Well the device on the ME computer is a Netgear adapter, which does support ME. When I called linksys, I told them several times that I was running ME (and it is in my case file with them) and they didn't say anything...wouldn't they have said something if that were the problem?

Collapse -
Windows 98 and ME Compatibility
by ajtrek / May 28, 2008 11:07 PM PDT
In reply to: I dunno...

When a manufacturer publishes the minimum requirements for a device it means that during development tests were run using several parameters and/or within certain ranges. In the case of the Linksys WRT310N and WUSB600N the minimum requirements listed were found to provide the best balance for performance and compatibility.

Any solution provided by a manufacturers Tech Support for parameters outside of the PUBLISHED minimum requirements is at best a band-aid, work-a-round, or whatever you choose to call it. Sure, it may work but they aren't going to guarantee it.

Even if your equipment matches the exact specifications and the environmental conditions are the same under which the manufacturer ran their in-house tests (and that's difficult to prove)....if they cannot resolve an issue (after several attempts) they'll log it, and suggest you return the product for a refund. If the product is not returnable (i.e. beyond the retailers return policy), most reputable manufacturers have some type of customer advocate program.

Also, keep in mind that WiFi is very finicky. Power lines, microwaves, other WiFi equipment, modem compatibility, distance between components, your ISP, and a host of other factors, including your OS, can affect it.

In your situation it appears you've invested a substantial amount of funds and you want everything to work...that's understandable. However, you can't always force a solution and sometimes we just have to admit to ourselves that..."it ain't gonna work"...minimize our exposure and move on. There is an axiom in aviation design that goes...."You can fly a brick if you can design/attach a big enough engine". Get the point??

I hope everything is resolved to your satisfaction.

Collapse -
I don't understand...
by LittleD653 / May 29, 2008 7:27 AM PDT

Every device I have indicates on the box that it supports my OS. The adapter I have on the ME system is a netgear adapter that supports ME. I don't own the linksys USB adapter that was mentioned in an earlier post (nor have i ever). So why would OS's be a problem?

Collapse -
If I remember correctly
by PudgyOne / May 29, 2008 7:22 PM PDT
In reply to: I don't understand...

and sometimes I don't, the Windows ME computer I had, had issues with the USB ports. If you're using a USB port with a wireless adapter, you need to know what type of USB ports you have.

Are they USB 1 or USB 2.0? If you're not sure what type you have, USB Man has that listed on his website.

http://www.usbman.com/USB%202%20News.htm

You can still get drivers for some USB ports from http://www.usbman.com/

Left hand column, select your operating system

Rick

Collapse -
OK...So, You Don't Understand??
by ajtrek / May 29, 2008 11:29 PM PDT
In reply to: I don't understand...

Everyone who has replied to your post has indicated in one way or another that Windows 98 and ME are obsolete and no longer supported by Microsoft. Equipment manufacturers are not going to invest time and research money to make their products compatible with an OS that is no longer in the mainstream.

If you have OEM "boxed" equipment that says its compatible with ME and it's not working on your ME computer, then you obviously have a problem. However, ME was a "dog" OS when Microsoft released it. That is why they abandoned it so quickly and at one point offered free upgrades to Windows 2000 (via the retailer) to a few lucky customers.

The answers given by others in this post are probably the best you are going to get. So, unless you have a direct-line to Microsoft I wouldn't look for much more than what you've gotten thus far. OH...but Microsoft doesn't support 98 and ME. Hmmmmm.

One more thing....you said in your last response..."I don't own the Linksys USB adapter that was mentioned in an earlier post (nor have i ever)....".

You should recall that in your original post you stated..."Then I bought the Linksys USB wireless adapter as it was one of the few that said it was compatible with ME". Since you failed to list the model number one could only assume (or strongly recommend).

If you had read the reply carefully it didn't suggest that you actually owned the Linksys WUSB600N adapter. What was suggested is that the Linksys WUSB600N adapter is the one you should own as it is the most compatible with the Linksys WRT310N router (clearly stated on the Linksys website).

Once again, good luck and I hope you get the solutions you are looking for.

Collapse -
I also said...
by LittleD653 / May 30, 2008 6:08 AM PDT

that i replaced that USB adapter with a Netgear PCI adapter which
IS compatible with ME. Furthermore, I asked a technician at linksys outright whether or not ME would be a problem for the router and he said any OS would work

Collapse -
Here's what I use for my old box.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2008 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: I also said...

While we could discuss if the Windows ME install is proper your posts are hard to read (single paragraph top post) and I can't get the part numbers so I'm not going to tell you how to write a better post. Let's skip to something I use that works with the elder Windows and non-windows machines.

-> http://www.netgear.com/Products/PrintServers/WirelessPrintServers/WGPS606.aspx

At first it might not appear to be that useful but if your ethernet works this will get you a wifi connection without wifi drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
So...
by LittleD653 / June 12, 2008 10:25 AM PDT

Wait so let me see if I understand this. I could just buy this print server and then it would receive the signal from my router? Then I could buy an ethernet network card to install in my ME computer and then just plug that into the switch on the print server?

Could I buy another one and do the same thing with my 98FE computer? I know linksys' ethernet network card can be installed on 98FE (and even 95) so would that mean I don't have to upgrade it to 98SE after all?

And one more thing, for the print server, could I just configure it with my Vista laptop (which will not be connected to it as my laptop has built-in wifi) and then it is all set? Or does it have to be configured with the computer I am going to use it on.

Collapse -
I can support 4 ethernet machines to that one box.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2008 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: So...

It's really a nice thing to have. I do not have to configure machines to work with said box. It's a "bridge" and I was so happy I found another one for 29.99 bucks.
Bob

Collapse -
WHOA
by LittleD653 / June 12, 2008 11:07 AM PDT

Where did you find a bridge for 29?! Yeah I don't really have any use for the print server feature of that so if I could find a bridge that would be great! I looked but everything I found did not support wireless...so where'd you get it?

Collapse -
The requirement is light.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2008 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: WHOA

Just any computer or device that uses TCPIP. There is not configuration to the computers or devices which means just about every thing can use this. The print server feature is optional.

I got mine refurb at geeks.com
Bob

Collapse -
This would do the trick...right?
by LittleD653 / June 12, 2008 12:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
That's the right product type.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2008 9:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
Oh and...
by LittleD653 / June 12, 2008 11:15 AM PDT

What is the answer to my question about the system requirements? What do the requirements mean if you do not need to configure the computers?

Collapse -
Ouch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2008 1:27 AM PDT

Support has gone away for those OSes. You need to check the web pages of the products you are considering and not rely on say a Best Buy page for these OSes.

Here's a device I use on those old boxes. http://www.netgear.com/Products/PrintServers/WirelessPrintServers/WGPS606.aspx I don't use the print server part but it works for any machine that has an ethernet port. This is known as an ethernet bridge.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.