Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Linksys Wireless G Router Issue - Must constantly reset

by Delsol9999 / November 29, 2008 6:17 AM PST

I have an issue with either my Linksys Wireless G Router or my Motorola SBG900 Cable Modem. Several times per day, I experience wireless service connectivity issues in my condo on both a desktop and a laptop operating within the network. The indicator on my laptop shows that signal strength is still great but no connectivity to the internet (small yellow triangle over the wireless connection status in the task bar system tray)

At first, I would disconnect the power from both the modem and the router for 30 seconds in an effort to reset them. Recently, I have been reseting only the router using this power down method.

If I remember correctly, at my previous residence I had similar problems. I had the same router but a different modem of the same brand/model.

Do I need to replace the router, or am I reseting the router using an inappropriate method?

Any Ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linksys Wireless G Router Issue - Must constantly reset
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linksys Wireless G Router Issue - Must constantly reset
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2008 10:39 AM PST

The firmware needs updating. This is one of the items we post in our forum sticky. Please do that first and supply make, model, revision and the firmware version in your posts so people can check your work and research if that combo of items has a known issue.

Collapse -
Linksys Wireless G Router
by Delsol9999 / November 30, 2008 12:56 AM PST

Thank you.
How do you check the firmware of these two peices or hardware?

Collapse -
whats a "sticky"
by Delsol9999 / November 30, 2008 1:01 AM PST

I am not familiar with a sticky or how to find them. Is that a sub section of the Forums?

Collapse -
Linksys Firmware Issue
by Delsol9999 / November 30, 2008 1:14 AM PST
In reply to: whats a "sticky"

My Linksys Router is a WRT54G v5. The Firmware Version is v1.00.1. The modem is a Motorola Surfboard model SBG900.

Please let me know if more information is required and where I need to post this specific information. I appreciate the assistance.

Collapse -
The forum sticky is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2008 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: Linksys Firmware Issue

The top post in this forum. For example you click on CNET forums: Wireless Internet" and the top post is "stuck" at the top to save answering the same questions (over and over.)

If you supplied the right make, model and version, Linksys gives me a version and date of 1.02.5 3/03/2008 at

There are BIG issues with this router when people run P2P applications. The latest firmware might help that.

Collapse -
Same problem here
by kare76 / October 27, 2011 11:37 AM PDT

I have the same linksys router and I have to re-set it onstantly. Very frustrating!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.