Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander (WRE54G) Help

by YG16 / December 4, 2004 12:33 PM PST

I'm having problems setting everything up. For some reason, when everything seems to be going smoothly, I run into this problem where, when everything is finishing up, a box pops up saying 'WRE54G cannot associate with this AP in repeater mode' if that is the problem, how would i go about disabling it?
Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander (WRE54G) Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander (WRE54G) Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander (WRE54G) Help
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2004 11:25 PM PST

Usually this is a sign that firmware is out of date in one of the devices or you are trying to mix DLink/Linksys/other products and have found a combo that doesn't work.

Collapse -
My successful WRE54G setup
by EvanBasalik / January 31, 2005 1:40 AM PST

I bought this in an attempt to extend my wireless signal in my plaster filled house. It appears to work as expected, but the set up was very problematic. Do NOT follow the stated instructions unless you are not using WEP (and you should be!) and don't call support. I called twice and got wrong answers both times. I ended up coming up with my own procedure after trying a bunch of things and researching on the web:

1) Turn off WEP on your router
2) Plug the WRE54G in the same room as your router
3) Hit autoconfig button
4) Browse to and make sure the settings match your router
5) Change the WRE54G SSID to something DIFFERENT than your router
6) Turn on WEP on the WRE54G
7) Turn back on WEP on your router

I know it seems weird to give the range extender a different SSID, but then, you can connect to it specifically instead of your AP. I had the problem that my AP was borderline accessible and with the SSIDs the same, I could not tell to which I was connected.

Also, you can use the latest router firmware, but then, you are going to get a red light for the connection light. However, you can just ignore it, because (contrary to what Tech Support will tell you), you are still OK.

To confirm you are connected properly, browse to your router IP from a machine connected to the range extender.

Collapse -
That's it
by rohitberi / July 12, 2005 2:07 PM PDT

Cisco/linksys guys could save a few million by just using the following steps as part of the installation instead of a program that just doesn't work.

Thanks EvanBasalik!

Collapse -
Browse to,,,,
by dicck / August 9, 2005 10:02 PM PDT

When I try to browse to IE says there is no internetconnection.
Any idea to solve this?

Collapse -
Hello D.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2005 2:47 AM PDT

Did you mean to drop your query in the middle of someone else's discussion?

-> When you do that, it means you are participating in their discussion.

Collapse -
by tingks / August 20, 2005 8:30 AM PDT

Since it is hard coded with an IP address of This might be a retorical question, but, this means that if I connect to it, my computers would have to have DHCP turned off to connect to this range extender?

Collapse -
Damn good advice
by rheasman / September 30, 2005 10:13 PM PDT

Well doen Evan, I gave up last night and forgot I was going to try exactly what you suggested (until I read it). It works a treat.

Just as info for others the set up utility seems pretty bad. It was 'unable to locate expander'. Also it left my wireless configuration all messed up. It had hardcoded my IP to and also refused to let me access the wireless configuration until I had re-booted.

I also had problem with the router WRT54G in the first place since I couldnt get an IP address from DHCP. It turned out that I had different WEP codes on my client side since although I used the same pass phrase it didnt generate the same key on the router and client. I had to manually set the keys up.

Hope that helps others out there.

Collapse -
by mrtubanh / January 5, 2006 10:33 PM PST

Thanks for posting these instructions; they worked great for me after a three hour struggle through following the product ''documentation''.

For Linksys WRT54G wireless router owners - if you cannot find a hardware version sticker on the bottom of your unit, you have v1.0. Another telltale is the 20 light array in the front (vs. 8 on later hardware versions).

If you have version 1.0, Linksys recommends upgrading to firmware version 2.02.2. THIS IS NOT THE LATEST FIRMWARE VERSION, but Linksys support claims that it has the fewest compatibility issues with the range extender.

With a firmware upgrade to 2.02.2, and the instructions in this thread, you should be able to complete the setup. Once the thing is running, it works great - I hooked up to my network from a neighbor's house with a Very Good 54Mbps signal.

I found that the Setup Wizard CD makes a great dog toy....Rex played fetch for at least 45 minutes!!

Collapse -
Tried your procedure - still NG
by studiotropico / June 11, 2006 6:28 AM PDT

I appreciate your having posted your experience with the WRE54G. I too have had great difficulty getting this product to work properly. As a last resort, I am seeking an answer on the web, but so far, no luck.

The procedure you stated results in exactly what you indicated. I have given the expander and the router different SSIDs so that I can connect to each of them separately from my wireless laptop, and the connection LED is RED. When I connect wirelessly to the expander, I can only communicate with the expander. When I connect wirelessly to the router, I can talk to the world. It simply appears that my expander is NOT communicating with my router (WRT54G). I have the latest firmware on both units (WRT54G = 1.00.9, WRE54G = 2.01.12). Any suggestions?

Collapse -
firmware looks wrong
by desertjim / June 29, 2006 3:29 PM PDT

the firmware version for the router [WRT54G = 1.00.9] needs to be greater than 2 i believe. mine is version 3.01 or something like that

Collapse -
WCG200 gateway with WRE54G expander
by moufflon1 / June 11, 2006 8:25 AM PDT

I replaced my WRT54G with the WCG200 combined AP and cable modem and lost range. I am looking to get it back with the WRE54G range expander. If this product works with the WRT54G any chance its ok with the WCG200 and your instructions will work as well?

Collapse -
geez too easy
by desertjim / June 29, 2006 3:13 PM PDT

not only does this work, but it makes you wonder why linksys even makes the cd software in the first place. readjusting the router and expander like that is a lot more simple than a bunch of missing dll exceptions from a cd

Collapse -
This didn't work for me
by ksuchewie / September 27, 2006 10:30 PM PDT

I tried this setup several times and was unable to get anywhere with it. I was able to get the boster to autoconfig and connect to my SSID. However, once I changed the SSID on the booster, it would lose connectivity. I wasn't able to notice, but those of you who are changing the SSID, are you connecting to your source via cable or wireless?

To me it makes sense that you can't change the SSID if you are connected wirelessly, but if you are wired then are able to.

At the end of the night, I left the booster as the same SSID as the wireless router, enabled WEP back onto both of them, and everything was working fine. The booster was connected wirelessly to the router.

Collapse -
Don't forget MAC filtering
by JoeHark / June 10, 2007 5:40 AM PDT

One crucial step for me....I have MAC filtering enabled on my router. I had to login to the range expander's setup page to identify the MAC address, enter that address in the router's "allow" table. Once I did this I saw a blue light on the Expander.

Also, it's a good idea to use an address other than in the expander's wireless configuration because connecting both wired and wireless will cause a duplicate IP Address error on your network.

Collapse -
MAC filtering is "dead."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2007 5:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
RE: MAC filtering is "dead"
by JoeHark / June 11, 2007 8:47 PM PDT

There was a presentation given at an internet security conference a couple years ago where the FBI demonstrated they could break WEP security in less than 3 minutes. This was done in front of a live audience and made some waves when the information was released.

I have some devices that are not WAP compatible and have used WEB with MAC filtering for a few years to keep the honest people honest.

Thanks for the info.

Collapse -
May have just found a easier way.
by PsychGen / November 17, 2007 2:34 AM PST

After fighting to get a Belkin Wireless G router to locate my Linksys WRE with no success for a week. Even following the quick install On the installation CD. I reset the WRE to factory defaults. CAT-5'd the wre to the router, The router must already be configured, Security, etc. Press the auto config button, waited till I got two steady blue lights. The only 'problem' with this Config, The WRE takes on the SSID of the router, Indicating The router and the WRE are one in the same, which makes sense linked.

Step 1: Get your network stable and secure before adding The WRE54G.
Step 2: Cat-5 the wre54g to the router. Power Wre on.
step 3: the wre is wired to the access point through the CAt-5
step 4" Press the auto config button on the WRE. Whait till you have two staedy blue lights. The WRE is now congigured to your network, Security settings, everything.

Collapse -
Linksys Wireless-Range Expander WRE54G
by bechdel / December 28, 2007 8:16 AM PST

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Brilliant! I struggled for four hours to get this thing working (tried setup disk, web configuration, Linksys web site troubleshooting). Your suggestion took one minute and worked! It was so easy I had a hard time accepting that it really worked. It took another 10 minutes to figure our the best postion for the range expander - two feet from my laptop. The signal went from "Poor" to "Excellent." Bottom line: Linksys has a good product, but terrible set up instructions. I have to wonder how many people have returned the WRE54G.

Collapse -
by PsychGen / November 17, 2007 12:48 PM PST

1) use the installation CD as a coaster or frisbee, unless you just want the manual.
2) configure your network. Enable WEP Wap PSK what ever, make sure all your computers can see each other.
3) Cat-5 the WRE54g to your router, plug it in to AC, you get 1 connected light no link light (The link light is for the wireless part.) you are currently hardwired to the network with the WRE.
4) Press the Auto config button. when both lights turn blue. Unplug the WRE54g from the AC, disconnect the cat-5. Go plug the range expander in at the edge of your network.

The WRE needs no IP web based config utility in spite of what the manual says. It has no DHCP server. It is a repeater only. All it needs to know is what access point it is susposed to link to. The computers and the router itself take care of the security. The WRE54g mimics the security settings of the router, so there is no need to connect to the WRE54G to congigure it, no one else can connect to it once it's secured to your network which step(4) takes care of.

Motorolla cable modem to Linksys wired modem for Vonage Belkin Wireless G router attached to Linksys wired router, Desk top wired to Belkin router, WRE54g, connected wirelesly to Belkin router, HP laptop. I can roam a 2 block radius and maintain signal strong enough to stay connected.

Collapse -
OK sure, but!!!
by linux180 / November 17, 2007 1:48 PM PST
In reply to: WRE54G

What if you are trying to configure a WRE54G version 1(like me) that has no Ethernet port on it period??? How you gonna hard-wire that? That's what I want to know! So if I can't get access to the WRE's web GUI, how am I gonna do anything with it.(That's what I would call a major design flaw), but I would greatly appreciate some input on my situation. I can't hard-wire it, so from the get-go I have no way of gaining access to the WEB GUI to configure and change any settings. Thanks!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
by PsychGen / November 17, 2007 3:20 PM PST
In reply to: OK sure, but!!!

No ethernet port!?! Thats what I get for not knowing the differences between versions. I should ammend that to read WRE54G's with the ethernet port.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

PS is it to late to return it to the store and get a later version, Tell'em it won't work in your network?

Collapse -
by linux180 / November 18, 2007 4:26 AM PST
In reply to: ewww

Well see, its not mine, is my Dads. I have been trying to get him set up, but that version 1 has been a real buzz kill(lol. Can't really return it, it was bought on Ebay and it has been about 3 months. I was even going to take a Linksys WRT54G wireless router, flash it with a 3rd party firmware and use it as a universal repeater, but there isn't any firmware yet for the version 8(lol), wouldn't ya know it! Now, Linksys tells me i need to upgrade the firmware for the WRE54G repeater, but if i can't gain access to the web GUI, i can't do that. I don't know if you can even do it by Jtag. I'm not one to give up on anything, but i can't seem to figure this enigma out on my own and I'm the type of person where things eat away at me and just about drive me crazy until I figure them out.......So, I'm determined to figure it out, probably won't stop until someone tells me that there is just no way it is going to work and the fine people at linksys are not going to say that I don't think. So if anyone has any suggestions, please, I welcome them!!!!

W. Good

Collapse -
Oh I forgot
by linux180 / November 18, 2007 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: ewww

Just ammend it to say version 2 and above(lol), that will be fine, I had a feeling that you were talking about version 2 and up anyway, I was just responding because, I guess I was venting myself from the restlessness that that freaking version 1 has caused. Thanks

W. Good

Collapse -
by crazyfiremedic / March 1, 2008 6:30 AM PST
In reply to: OK sure, but!!!

Use a wireless computer hopefully XP O/S. View available wireless netwotk, look for wre54g, highlight it only, click advanced settings, tcp/ip properties, make ip, subnet, rest blank, ok, close. open ie, enter default (or 245 for yours) in address bar. nothing for username / admin for password Voilla! hope this helps

Collapse -
WRE54G.....Just won't work!
by santana0922 / January 1, 2008 1:52 PM PST

Thanks for the help "PsychGen" but when I follow your instructions I still end up with 1 blue light and one red light.... I'm not very good with this router stuff, for me it is more plug and play that works best. So I dont understand everything about IP Addresses and MAC and WEP etc. etc. I can say the my wireless router WRT300N from linksys is working fine but I wanted to extend my signal in the upstairs of my house to get a stronger signal for my laptops and my XBox 360. However as you stated the CD installation is not worth a crap and I am still stuck with this thing and can't get it to work!!

Do either you or anybody out there have some "simple" instructions as to what I need to do or adjustments that I need to make to my router so that I can finally get this extender working?? Thank you in advance for any help.....

Collapse -
WEP is dead.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2008 9:59 PM PST
Collapse -
just helping
by shreybhatia / March 2, 2008 5:10 PM PST

hey listen i can help u out wid wre54g i am using it.. i also faced problems like u did but now am a pro at it. contact me at if u need help

Collapse -
WRE54-G version 1 with Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless router
by latitude.jim / June 6, 2008 9:36 PM PDT

Hi, I hope someone out there can help.
I am having problems setting up the WRE54G.
I have a Belkin wireless router (F5D7230-4)
This appears to be the version 1 (no cat5 plug in).
I was told by Best Buy that this would be compatable with all wireless G systems (yeah right).
I spent way to many hours on the phone with both Belkin and Linksys changing ip address's and everything only to find out that it is not compatable with the Belkin router per tech support at Linksys.
If anyone can share anything that might help I would appreciate it, I'm not ready to give up just yet and I don't have the receipt to take this thing back.
Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
can I use this if......
by technologicallyimpaired / October 21, 2006 8:45 AM PDT

I'm wondering if this is the tool that I need to expand my wireless coverage if IT IS NOT MY ROUTER? Can I set this up on my laptop without having access to the main router?

I'm staying in a complex that has a router...somewhere...and I get a very poor signal where I am. I'm looking for something to expand the signal so that I can view my slingbox? I want to be able to just set it up from the cabin I'm staying in.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2006 8:56 AM PDT

But then again you may need to access the router if they have out of date firmware. The owner will likely want to help get that done.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.