Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Linksys Router - cannot associate with access point

by bcterp2 / April 6, 2006 12:59 AM PDT

I have just *tried* to setup my first wireless network. It has been less than fun.

The router is a Linksys WRV54G. The wireless cards are Linksys Wireless-G adapters. The host computer and the networked computer are both running XP Pro. The host computer works just fine. The networked computer is having problems.

Yesterday when I set the networked computer up, it worked like a charm. However, today when it was turned on it could not connect to the internet. When looking at the monitor it says the adapter is active but "cannot associate with the access point".

What does this mean and how do I fix it?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linksys Router - cannot associate with access point
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linksys Router - cannot associate with access point
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What did Linksys tech support have to say??
by jackintucson / April 7, 2006 8:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i found linksys tech support to be vey helpful
by bklynrickel / April 16, 2006 9:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
Linksys Router - Unable to Associate with Access Point
by wmontaney / June 15, 2006 12:27 AM PDT

My Linksys wireless card is having a problem all of a sudden. I am unable to connect to my wireless router. I have not had this problem in more than 2 years using this combination.

How do I fix it?

Collapse -
cannot associate with access point
by wendybf / June 15, 2006 5:09 AM PDT

SUGGESTIONS:
Go to the computer that says "cannot associate with access point" and check the site info or where the various profiles are shown. refresh the screen. Several profiles might be dislayed after the refresh. Click on each listed profile to look for the one that has the MAC address of your wireless access point. It might end in 1A or B but it must match the MAC of your wireless access point. Once you see it, click on it to higlight it and then click on connect. After a while, check the Link Info. Your computer should be able to connect to the access point and to the Internet.

Let us know what happens.

Good Luck!

CAMAH T. MULABAH

Collapse -
cannot associate with access point
by rabeu / November 3, 2006 5:48 PM PST

I have the same problem, and it is something which has been working OK for months and now gives the Access Point' error.
I have tried all possible 'MAC's and some work for a minute or so but not permanent!
Other suggestion? For me the most annoying aspect is the now it works/now not.
I am trying with Linksys helpdesk and I must say that my feeling is that they try harder than most but it is the material.

rab

Collapse -
can not associate with access point
by tofani64 / June 22, 2008 8:21 AM PDT

operating system------- Window98
router ---------------- WMP54G

please help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.