PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Linksys router-Arris Modem conflict

by txweezie / May 1, 2008 9:27 AM PDT

Last week Comcast installed a new modem (TM402P/110 Arris Modem). Today I cannot get on the internet through the router, only by direct-connect to the modem. Separately, they both work fine. I can access our laptop when the router is connected and get on the internet on the desktop pc when the cable is connected to the modem.

I've gone through 5 complete power downs of the modem, router, and pc and them back up in that order and I've reconfigured the router, all to no avail.

Any suggestions.

PS. I also installed a new software called PC Registry Cleaner, downloaded from here: http://www.pcregistrycleaner.com/. Could that be causing the problem.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linksys router-Arris Modem conflict
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linksys router-Arris Modem conflict
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
See if your work is the same as this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2008 11:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
Arris modem/Linksys Router Conflict
by krisko101 / September 10, 2009 4:10 PM PDT

The first thing you need to do while you're messing with your router anyway is to upgrade your firmware to the latest version through the Cisco/Linksys website.

Second, make sure your date/time zone is correct (bottom of the first page).

I have found two fixes for this problem that have worked for various people who've had the exact same problem. One is acceptable, and should work for you. The other is a semi-fix.

Every device you use to connect to the internet has a MAC address. Arris modems will only connect to your internet service provider using the MAC address that was used to set up your service (irritating).

When the cable company came out to set up your internet, they connected the modem directly to one of your computers. You need to plug the router directly into the exact same port on the same computer that was used to setup your new modem, and do the following:

1. Go into your router settings (192.168.1.1; username:none ; pw: admin)
2. In the Setup tab, click the sub-heading called "MAC Address Clone"
3. Click the 'Enable' option on this page.
4. Now click the 'Clone Your PC's MAC' button.
5. Now click Save Settings.
6. Wait for the settings to save, and click 'Continue'.

In most cases, this should work, and you ought to have internet access now.

If this did not work, the following is a quick fix:
1. Go to the 'Applications & Gaming' tab
2. Click the sub-heading 'DMZ'
3. Click 'Enable'.
4. Click 'Save settings'.
5. Wait for the settings to save, and click 'Continue'.

If this doesn't work, I would recommend calling your cable ISP and telling them that you need a modem that will work with more than one computer, or you need them to send a tech out who is able to set up the internet through a router. They may give you a hard time and tell you it's the router's fault, and not their problem. Don't back down until they give you a different kind of modem -- you are the customer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.