Smart Home & Appliances

Question

Linksys Router

by shelbud / May 28, 2013 1:47 AM PDT

I have a Linksys router WRT400N. Up until recently both my PC laptop and my wife's PC laptop were able to operate wireless. Then my wife was not able to operate wireless. I went into 192.168.1.1 and changed settings. She still could not operate wireless. I went back in and changed back to the original settings. Now, neither of us are able to operate wireless.

Please help.

Sheldon

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linksys Router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linksys Router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) I assume you made the appropriate changes on the laptops?
by wpgwpg / May 28, 2013 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Linksys Router

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Since it does not work in stock form
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2013 2:06 AM PDT

I'm going to have to write the router has failed. Try another one. Again, I have to write this when the settings in stock form (plus what the ISP requires) fails.
Bob

Collapse -
Let me expand on wpgwpg's answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2013 2:55 AM PDT

If I make changes to my router it takes over a minute for it to reboot and come back. Some folk can't wait that long and some Windows machines can't hook up to it as it's booting.

So be sure to try power off of your modem (cable modem?) then boot the cable modem, wait for the cable modem lights to stop then power up the router. Wait for it to settle down then boot the PC.

I might have to tell Windows to forget what it knows about that old connection then start off as if it's a new connection. This is usually done in the Network control panels. But as many laptops "enhance" this area you find yourself learning on the fly what they changed.
Bob

Collapse -
Linksys Router
by shelbud / May 28, 2013 9:39 AM PDT

I've done as you've suggested and nothing has changed. This is an old router and it must be time to get a new one.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Collapse -
New Router
by monttroy / June 4, 2013 12:25 PM PDT

I have used network magic on my machine since 2006 no router replacement no computer replacement and have never had to take any equipment to a shop. Takes awhile to get the feel of the program but once you get going you should have a little more enjoyable experience while adding an extra layer of security.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.