Computer Help forum

Question

Linksys E900 router wont connect to internet???

by rybrows / April 17, 2013 12:45 AM PDT

Hi all. I am currently having extreme difficulty getting my Linksys E900 router to connect to the internet. I have had this router for around 6-7 months and this problem randomly occurs periodically, but more often than not is fixed via a simple unplugging or resetting of the router. This time however, nothing I seem to do works. Some more info:

- I live in an apartment complex that offers free internet through Pavlov Media
- I previously connected to the router by simply plugging it into the ethernet jack in the wall, then running the setup disc and following the instructions
- I am able to connect to the internet through the non-password protected internet provided to all residents of my complex

Any help would be IMMENSELY appreciated, thanks!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Linksys E900 router wont connect to internet???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Linksys E900 router wont connect to internet???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Can you connect at all with any other device
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2013 12:57 AM PDT

That Ethernet jack must work with other devices or you've discovered what the issue is.
Bob

Collapse -
yes
by rybrows / April 17, 2013 1:41 AM PDT

I've tried connecting the router to every (5) ethernet jack in the house and it hasnt worked with any of them. It creates a network that I can connect to, but I have no internet access on the network. I can establish a wired connection with our provided internet via my PS3 though

Collapse -
In that case
by Jimmy Greystone / April 17, 2013 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: yes

In that case, you know that the equipment is fine on the ISP and landlord's end of things, so the problem is with your equipment. Since you are able to get a connection with your PS3, that points the finger pretty squarely at the router as being defective.

If it's still under warranty, call up Cisco and have them send you a replacement. Otherwise go out and get a new router.

Collapse -
I have to guess still
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2013 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: yes

That the PS3 works, and gets to the internet so that points back to a failed router. I won't detail how to reset the router since that's in the manual but a full reset would be my next move along with testing with another router.
Bob

Collapse -
sadface
by rybrows / April 17, 2013 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: I have to guess still

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I will have to invest in a new router and not go with the cheapest one this time. I still dont understand how it could just could from working to not working overnight like that though...oh well

Collapse -
If I had to guess
by Jimmy Greystone / April 17, 2013 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: sadface

If I had to guess, I'd say it's a cold solder joint on the WAN port. If it was the sort of thing you could fix yourself that idea would have occurred to you already, so take it as a sign of it being beyond your current skill set.

Collapse -
ok...
by rybrows / April 17, 2013 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: If I had to guess

ok i just bought a new netgear router and it wont connect either...im going to assume this is a problem with my ISP then?

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Second question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2013 6:00 AM PDT

I read the PS3 connected but your ISP may lock onto the first machine that connects and lock out the others for 24 hours. Without knowing more about your connection I can't offer any solid advice.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.