Cameras

General discussion

Link from SHOPCARTUSA.com. Are these good places to buy.

by sripree / June 25, 2007 1:21 AM PDT

Hi,

After much research, I have decided to buy the NIKON D80. I was checking the prices and found that the prices listed in the SHOPCARTUSA.com links are really cheap.

What is the catch here. Are these really sites or do they sell returned or defective cameras.

I normally buy from Circuit City and don't mind doing it again.

Juts wanted to know how can these sell the cameras for such a cheap price.

Let me know.

Sridhar.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Link from SHOPCARTUSA.com. Are these good places to buy.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Link from SHOPCARTUSA.com. Are these good places to buy.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Shopcartusa
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 25, 2007 7:56 AM PDT

Shopcartusa appears to be a middleman operation who places your order with one of their suppliers.
I assume that supplier then gives Shopcartusa a (sales) kickback for sending business to them.

Looking at Shopcartusa's list of suppliers you see some impeccable sources and a lot of suppliers with bad reputations.

Your D80 camera will be handled by Broadway Photos (bwayphoto.com).
They have a reputation of being a bait and switch operation, and are associated with A&M PhotoWorld which has many aliases.

Have a look at what you will be dealing with:

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0049.htm

The name Broadway Photo is pretty bogus itself.....It is no where near Broadway.....it is in Brooklyn.

Here is a link to epinions.com who rates Internet sellers:

http://www.epinions.com/msg/show_~threads/cat_id_~22/id_~4513/forum_id_~145/pp_~1

Bottom Line.......you will not get the Nikon D80 for $699.

Here is how it works:

You place your order.....soon afterward you will get an email asking you to contact Bwayphoto.com by phone to confirm your order.
You call and they will try to get you to spend more money.
Telling you all types of bogus things.
If you refuse to spend more money, you will be informed that the D80 is out of stock.

No matter what you say or do, you will not get the D80 for $699.

If you have given them your credit card number......
it is a good idea to call your credit card company and cancel your card.

Collapse -
Thanks
by sripree / June 25, 2007 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Shopcartusa

Thanks for he advice. As usual I will buy from Circuit City. Porbably will wait and see if they have any specials for JUL 4T.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.