Networking & Wireless forum

Limited Internet *sigh*

by crank_girl / February 19, 2014 5:07 PM PST

I have a brand spanking new lenovo z510 i7 that will not, despite my best efforts, connect to the Internet.

What I've got:

Tp-link wdr3600 running 2.4ghz on channel 3 mixed bg, wep. I get the "this connection is limited" message on wifi and ethernet, even when running latest Ubuntu from a live USB.

What I've tried:

Disabling/enabling atheros card; removing/reinstalling drivers; installing Windows 7 wifi card drivers; changing/removing security on router; rebooting everything like a gazillion times; standing on one leg whilst cursing loudly; flushing and renewing things via command line; loads of other stuff that I'm only likely to recall under torture.

... I've spent hours changing various settings on both router and laptop with no success. Oh, it DOES work when I use my mobile phone as a hotspot but other than that it has not connected to the Internet.

Should I send it back? Is this problem likely to occur again if I get a replacement? Shame because I really like it.

Any new suggestions or opinions gratefully received. Happy

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Limited Internet *sigh*
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Limited Internet *sigh*
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Sorry...should also have said
by crank_girl / February 19, 2014 5:19 PM PST

I'm now running wpa2 with tkip - though I've tried every other flavour of security. Dchp is running and I've assigned a permanent network address. I don't have Mac filtering or anything like that running. My ssid is a reasonable length.

The card is an atheros AR9485.

Collapse -
by Archit_soni / February 19, 2014 9:24 PM PST

Well lady you can do many things like changing your IP and DNS address, or you may use some kind of software software.
There are many softwares available in the market that are meant to keep check of your problems of limited access to the network...
You can try the link i am giving below:

<span>The link gives you a connectivity fixer which can actually help you out!!! Cool

Collapse -
by pgc3 / February 19, 2014 11:37 PM PST

Another thing to look at is security software and settings, you said nothing of what is being used, this could well be germane to security software.

Collapse -
TRUE!!! Just last week
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2014 11:56 PM PST

I had the fun time of a WEP (that's no protection!!!) network and the password was accepted and naturally, no connect to the internet.

But here there is something odd going on with the Ethernet not working. I wonder if the WiFi is enabled when the Ethernet was tried. That can cause this failure.

OK, I can't guess what settings the router has but if a SECURITY CONSCIOUS (well meaning person) used MAC FILTERING what you noted should happen.

-> Try the router defaults then move to 802.11g only to avoid an old issue and then to WPA2 AES personal security. Keep the SSID and passwords to alpha numerics.

Collapse -
Arrrrgh and breathe
by crank_girl / February 21, 2014 12:19 AM PST
In reply to: TRUE!!! Just last week

Thanks for your reply.

No, no Mac filtering. And all security switched off too (to answer pgc3's question). I've tried every combination of security setting, broadcast channel, frequency, ssid name etc. Nada, nein, ne rien, zip.

I went and bought a tp-link wlan USB as I figured I'd probably be able to fix it if I could get it connected to the Internet but that didn't work either.

I was about to throw the whole lot into a bath and climb in with it when I remembered I had the rubbish old router I got with plusnet. I plugged it in, switched the other router off et voila, the Internet appeared. Great but everything else, several tablets, phones, NAS, ftp and torrent client, all configured to work through the router. So I'm just about to experiment to see if I can use the old router as a bridge somewhere so I can use new router AND keep the new laptop online.

I did think perhaps that this was a driver issue but now I'm more inclined to think it's a dhcp problem in Windows 8.

Collapse -
torrent ?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2014 12:26 AM PST
In reply to: Arrrrgh and breathe
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.