Mac Applications

General discussion

LimeWire... I want it off? Is it really?

by StarlightMaker / June 2, 2007 1:08 PM PDT

Okay... so I just got a MacBook Pro for graduation just a few weeks ago. So I'm using Mac OSX, blah blah blah... like a dummy I downloaded LimeWire onto my computer. I probably downloaded like two things... I want to make sure that it is completely off. I'm a Mac person, but I was using a PC for MANY years. Sad So, I don't really know how to uninstall anything on a Mac. I just threw the program in the trash and then emptied the trash. I also threw as many files regarding LimeWire (I typed "limewire" into the searchy thingy) as I could find... Is that enough? Is it really off? Is there a way I can make sure?

Also, does LimeWire actually ever REALLY go off? Like, are there hidden files that people can download from my computer just by me going onto the Internet? I'm really paranoid about this and I feel really stupid. Ahh!! Thanks for any help. I REALLY appreciate it.

NOTE: I just want to apologize if these questions have been answered before. I looked around on these forums, but couldn't find anything direct... at least not for Macs.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LimeWire... I want it off? Is it really?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LimeWire... I want it off? Is it really?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Limewire
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 3, 2007 12:48 AM PDT

You have probably done all that is necessary to remove Limewire from your computer.
One folder that is created by Limewire but does not have a limewire name, is the shared folder and the Incomplete folder.
Find both of them and trash them.

I do not recall if Limewire has an uninstaller bundled with it, I doubt it, but you have just about covered everything.
It is highly unlikely that you will have a problem when you go on the Internet. That is not the way Limewire works.

To settle your mind, you might want to download a program called Little Snitch which, when installed, will inform you of every attempt by your machine to access the internet. It will tell you the program name and the place it is trying to get to. It is worth the low price.

You are far less vulnerable with your Mac than you would be with your Windows machine

P

Collapse -
RE:Limewire
by StarlightMaker / June 3, 2007 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Limewire

Oh thank you so much... You have made me feel a lot better. Yes, I deleted the Shared Folder and the Incomplete folder when I was getting LimeWire off. Oh I know that I'm less vulnerable with a Mac than with the PC - don't worry... that's why I got one, LOL! (I don't even wanna go there about Windows...) Grin

Um... I will definitely check out Little Snitch; it does seem to be very convenient. mrmmacfixit, do you use that? I know that I may be getting off topic now, but do I really need any antivirus protection for my MacBook Pro??

Back on topic, at least regarding file sharing softwares... oh wait. Never mind... I'll ask that in another forum. Thanks for the help though.

Collapse -
If you want to feel warm and fuzzy
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 3, 2007 8:59 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:Limewire

about not sending Windows viruses along to your less fortunate friends, then CLAMXAV would be the way to go.
Currently there are no OS X viruses in the wild and this piece of AV software will find Windows stuff and, when the time comes, any Mac stuff.

Oh, I forgot to mention. It's free. www.clamxav.com

P

Collapse -
And NOW?
by StarlightMaker / June 3, 2007 4:08 PM PDT

Okay... I downloaded both softwares recommened. Everything seems to be running normal. I am using the demo version of Little Snitch because I can't pay for it yet. Sad I can't figure out how it works. There are A LOT of things that have access to the Internet on my computer, apparently. Everytime I tried to click one though, they all said that I was about to change a factory default... ALL OF THEM. Does that mean that limewire is NOT hurting my computer anymore? (I need it to last me five more years... like my car!) Otherwise Little Snitch would have just let me change the settings, right?

Going back to one of my original questions and by biggest concern: Even though I've uninstalled limewire, am I still filesharing with those files I downloaded?

Please help... I need total peace of mind.

Hey... if I'm not completey happy in the end, couldn't I just stick my important files on an external hard drive and reset everything... like uninstall EVERYTHING and put the original Mac software this book came with? I'm probably (probably) not gonna go that far... I just want to know if it's possible.

Collapse -
Little Snitch
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 3, 2007 10:46 PM PDT
In reply to: And NOW?

First of all, Limewire is no longer on your computer and you are not sharing any files with anyone. The files you downloaded from Limewire are just that, files you downloaded from Limewire. Just like files you download for the OS X Software site.
Little Snitch should not be asking you to change any defaults on any programs. I think you may bve looking at the "Default" list of programs that LS is preconfigured to allow on the Internet without asking. Leave that alone for now. The Demo will only run for an hour before turning itself off.
All LS does is monitor your outbound ports and alerts you anytime a program attempts to hit the internet. You get a couple of options at each prompt. Allow until quit, Always allow and Deny. Choose Always Allow and LS will put that application into a list and not ask for permission again. Safari, Mail, Firefox would probably fall into that category.
You are quite right, there are a lot of things that try to get on the internet. A lot of programs check for updates when you launch them, they phone home and check to see if you have the latest version.
When you put a serial number into a program, it usually phones home to register, or check the validity of the number. LS sees all that activity and asks you to make a choice, Allow or Deny. It is NOT a firewall, just a monitor.

If you wanted to feel really safe, you could Format the drive and Install everything from the included disks. You would then cancel your Internet connection and revert to using your Mac as a typewriter.
That and the aluminum foil hat will make you very safe. Happy

Moral? Don't get too paranoid, your Mac is a whole different ballgame

P

Collapse -
OKAY!
by StarlightMaker / June 4, 2007 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Little Snitch

Okay... thank you so much... I guess you're right, mrmacfixit. Grin You have a great help. I felt better after your first post, but then I started worrying again. Now, I mostly content. I'm not going to go crazy over this anymore. I see what Little Snitch did... it WAS very helpful for what I was trying to do, but I am going to uninstall it now. I don't need it anymore, you see. Same with the virus checker program you suggested.

Superb advice. I guess everything in my computer is all right. Thanks again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.