Peripherals forum

General discussion

Lightweight mini printer

by edoric58 / March 3, 2011 3:51 AM PST

Is there such a thing as a small, lightweight, portable printer? I run a cardmaking group and would have to unplug and transport my HP4800 all in one to the the bi-monthly meetings. If I was a driver there would be no problem, so I need something small enough to fit into one of my mobility schooter bags.

Dorothy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lightweight mini printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lightweight mini printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Limited selection
by Willy / March 4, 2011 12:11 AM PST

You need to review printers that are "laptop/mobile" types. These are smaller but usually less capable and are simple printers. They won't or shouldn't be to capable of handling heavy stock/paper media other than usual office paper. Thus, visit the online websites of all the printer makers and query there. You can also, try some hands on at larger office centers, etc., maybe an OfficeMax or Staples and such or a large office service co. in your area. Maybe they can recommend something. You should check Canon and HP as they provide some laptop printers. Also, some of the low end desktop printers may also be of use as they are not that heavy but maybe slightly more bulky compared to laptop models. However, amongst these models they can much more smaller than AIO or M/F types or larger models, for plain printer only. google for vendors or call locally.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=small+printers+for+laptops&tag=googhydr-20&index=electronics&hvadid=7755857745&ref=pd_sl_5caxxrzwfj_b

http://www.smallportableprinter.com/

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Lightweight Mini Printer
by edoric58 / March 4, 2011 4:59 AM PST
In reply to: Limited selection

Willy

I have looked at the suggested websites and I thnk I will take your advice. The HP 470 looks interesting. A lot smaller than my HP 4500

Thank you

Dorothy

Collapse -
Too big
by paul_saute / March 4, 2011 12:30 PM PST

An all in one portable printer isn't very portable. Do you only need to print at the bi-monthly meetings?

Collapse -
Lightweight printer
by edoric58 / March 4, 2011 7:24 PM PST
In reply to: Too big

Yes, but perhaps I should explain more. I run a cardmaking club and I need to be able to print off A4 coloured backing papers which are cut down to cover the front of A6 or A5 greeting cards before embellishing. I could do this at home but if I have a printer st the club I can print off what anyone needs instead of guessing what they want. My problem is I don't have a car with which to transport the printer and all my other gear so I am restricted as to how much I can carrry on my mobility scooter.

Dorothy

Collapse -
Check out the Canon iP90(v)..
by hrlaser / March 4, 2011 11:34 PM PST
In reply to: Lightweight printer

I've owned (and reviewed) a Canon iP90 printer for over three years.. it's the smallest, high-quality, multi-purpose, inkjet printer I've ever owned.. about the size of a large hardbound novel.. it's been very slightly cosmetically changed, and Canon now sells it as the iP90v, but they both take exactly the same ink tanks - BCI-16 or BCI-15 tri-color, and BCI-16 or BCI-15 black.. Canon sells both types of ink in two-packs.. the print head is built into the carrier that holds the ink tanks.. not into the ink tanks themselves..

It's very fast, very quiet, and will print on regular plain paper, (it'll hold a maximum of about two dozen sheets of regular paper at a time).. or do very high-quality photo prints on various sizes of photo paper (glossy, matte, whatever)..

The up-sides are that it's a VERY fast, quiet, and compact, all-purpose regular printer AND high-quality photo printer.. if your digital camera can cable to a printer to print directly from it, the iP90 can also handle that..

The down-sides are that the ink tanks are pretty small.. I've NEVER used anything but genuine Canon ink in it, (I've often bought two-packs of ink off eBay, and saved more than half the price that a store charges).. third party "no name" ink is lower quality, and if the printer is still under warranty (mine isn't), and if "Joe's cheap ink just like the real thing" fouls or clogs the print head, and you take it in for repair, Canon will void the warranty.. the printer's Windoze control panel has two built-in head cleaning modes, along with a bajillion other controls..

The printer isn't inexpensive, though.. and there are two options that make it even more expensive.. when I reviewed it, Canon sent me both these add-ons::

There's a full-width battery pack that screws onto the back of it, (no screwdriver requird).. and just leave it there.. I have that battery pack, but I run it off its AC adapter, but that keeps the battery always charged..

There's also a small Bluetooth dongle that snaps into a pocket inside the printer, so if your laptop has Bluetooth, you can print to the iP90(v) with no cable connected to the computer at all, which is how I use it.. otherwise, plug it into any USB port..

You could literally sit in your car, or out in the middle of a corn field, and use your computer and this printer, with NO AC power, and NO physical connection to the computer, if you opt to purchase the battery pack and the Bluetooth dongle..

It'll handle Avery card stock type sheets of paper (the kind that's pre-perforated, and comes in various perforation sizes)..

Whatever kind of paper you use loads at the top, against a fold-up back rest, and spits out the front as it prints.. there is no catch tray for printouts, so the prints just tumble out the front..

When you want to take it somewhere, the support that holds the paper supply folds down, and a little door in front of the slot from which printouts eject folds up..

I've probably run ten reams of paper through this printer in the three or four years I've owned it, along with printing a dozen or so very high-quality photo prints, using Canon photo paper from 4"x6", to full size 8"x10".. the photos I got from it look every bit as good as any prints I've gotten from outfits like Shutterfly or Kodak.com.. just keep in mind that high-quality photo prints use a LOT of ink..

If the black ink tank runs low, and you don't have any spares with you, you can tell the printer to fake it, using the tri-color tank to make "composite black"..

The printer's Windoze control panel has more options than I can even describe..

So that'd be my recommendation, if this printer is within your budget.. Happy ..

Harv

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.