Download.com Site Feedback forum

Question

LibreOffice 3.5.2 Download

by DB4RC / April 29, 2012 11:43 PM PDT

Has anyone tried downloading Libreoffice? Has anyone had problems doing so? I have tried downloading LibreOffice 3.5.2 from both this site and another and in both cases it stops the wizard at a point, suggesting that I should close LibreOffice 3.5 or assocaited programs before it can continue. As I have not got LibreOffice in any form yet, I can hardly have it open to be causing this hiccup and a search on the PC does not reveal any programs involving LibreOffice. Any one have any ideas?

Windows 7, IE 9.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LibreOffice 3.5.2 Download
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LibreOffice 3.5.2 Download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Yep, I just downloaded and installed it
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 30, 2012 5:47 AM PDT

I got both downloads, the main installer and the Help files direct from source here;
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

Try those, and tell us what error messages you get if you do. Exact wording please.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
LibreOffice 3.5.2 Download, continued
by DB4RC / April 30, 2012 4:20 PM PDT

Mark,

Many thanks for responding.

Well, the site you used was in fact the first site I had tried. I tried downloading from there twice, an hour or so apart, before I wondered if trying it through CNET might improve my chances. It should be noted that the actual link and download on the Libreoffice.org site comes from somewhere else when you click their downloads.

I will try them again and record the actual error messages.

Regards,
David

Collapse -
LibreOffice 3.5.2 Download Continued #2
by DB4RC / April 30, 2012 8:23 PM PDT

Mark,

Please find below the step-by-step process on clicking the LibreOffice 3.5.2 Multi Inst Icon on LibreOffice.org Downloads which I get:

1. A warning appears at the bottom of the screen stating: "LibO_3.5.2_Win_x86_install_multi.msi is not commonly downloaded and could harm your computer", "Delete/Action/View Downloads".
2. On clicking "Actions" I get a new window and I click "Run Anyway".
3. Then I get the window: "Welcome to Installation Wizard for Libreoffice 3.5" and I click "Next".
4. Theh I get the window: "Customer Information, Install this application for""Anyone who uses this computer/all users" is the default selected choice and I click "Next".
5. Then I get the window: "Set Up Type", "Typical or Custom" and I click "Typical", followed by "Next".
6. Then I get the window: "Ready to install the program", "Create a start link on desktop" is by default checked and I click "install"
7. Then I get the window: "Installing Libreoffice 3.5" and a Status scroll bar, which never starts to infill. It waits some time before . . .
8. I get the user Account Control (Administrator) window asking me if I want the program to change my computer etc and i click "Yes".
9. NOW, I get an additional window above (not over it) the "Installing LibreOffice 3.5" window with the following content:
10. "LibreOffice 3.5 Installation Wizard", "Yellow-Triangle-with-Exclamation-mark", "Please exit LibreOffice 3.5 and the LibreOffice 3.5 Quickstarter before you continue. If you are using a multi-user system, also ensure that no other user has Libreoffice 3.5 open." I must point out that there is no Libre Office on my PC, that is why I am trying to install it and that this is a single PC located in a domestic situation and there are not multiple users available to be on the "system". So, I click the only option available, "OK", in this window and it will not let me click anywhere else anyway.
11. At which point I now get the window: "Installation Wizard Completed", "The Wizard was interrupted before LibreOffice 3.5 culd be compltetly installed. Your system has not been modified. To complete installation at another time, please run set up again. Click finish to exit the wizard."

And that, as they say, is that. A large cumbersome process to get nowhere.

Regards,
David

Collapse -
Well, comprehensive,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 30, 2012 10:06 PM PDT

and thank you for that.

First of all, I am guessing that the message about "LibO_3.5.2_Win_x86_install_multi.msi is not commonly downloaded and could harm your computer" is either from your anti-virus or it could in fact be from your browser itself. You mention IE9.

Yes, I have just tested the "Main installer" download from the LibreOffice web site in my own IE9, (I normally use Firefox as my browser), and got the same pop up at the bottom.

"Do you want to Run or Save LibO_3.5.2_Win_x86_install_multi.msi (208 MB) from mirrors.coreix.com?"

Then it says, "This type of file could harm your computer" and gives the options "Run / Save / Cancel"

When I click Save, (I always save, and never Run), the pop up changes to show that the file is downloading and offers to "View downloads".

All of that is normal.

But what happens next, (at step 10), doesn't seem normal. The process is the same and I confirm that the installation did take a little while on my Win 7 x64 bit system, the same as it did on yours.

I can see where others have had this problem as well at http://en.libreofficeforum.org/node/2202

By any chance, have you used OpenOffice in the past, or still using it? If so check your Task Manager to see if any elements of OpenOffice are still running and if so end them. If you still have OpenOffice, it might be an idea to uninstall that, reboot, (restart) the computer, then try installing LibreOffice again.

If that fails, see if the other suggestion made in that discussion helps.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
LibreOffice Download 3.5.2 Continued #3
by DB4RC / April 30, 2012 11:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Well, comprehensive,

Mark,

Well, I can repeat your comment back to you: a very comprehensive reply. Thank you.

I DID wonder if there might be any interraction with Open Office. I actually have OOo dev- 3.4. But I know that none of that was open when I was downloading nor on the Taskbar of Win 7. So, I am wondering if there is still some interraction even with it closed. I will certainly look at the forum for which you have provided the link.

Thank again for your time on this.

Regards,
David.

Collapse -
LibreOffice 3.5.2 Download Continued #4
by DB4RC / May 1, 2012 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Well, comprehensive,

Mark,

Success!

I checked out the forum link you provided and from the replies within concluded that indeed Open Office was likely to be the issue. So, I deleted all folders/files to do with OO. This action also included following the little tip in the forum which warned about the Quickstarter hidden on the taskbar which can be found when you place the cursor over the Triangle/Show Hidden icons in the bottom right hand area of the Win 7 taskbar.

So, whether it was just the little hidden icon of Quickstarter or the whole OO program, I don't know, but the blitz-all approach succeeded.

Many thanks for your assistance on all this. One happy bunny here!

Regards,
David

Collapse -
That's great
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 1, 2012 5:04 AM PDT

and good work in finding it.

I'm fairly sure it would have been that Quickstarter option, but I have also read elsewhere that OO and Libreoffice do not sit well together because they are very similar. In fact, the Libreoffice developers used to develop OO so there may be a lot of similarity between the two.

Anyway, glad it is all sorted and that I could help.

Mark

Collapse -
tried suggested fix
by edcritic / May 28, 2012 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: That's great

Remove quicklaunch and uninstalled Open Office. Still the same problem. Something else is the causing the problem.

Collapse -
Tried a reboot
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 28, 2012 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: tried suggested fix

before attempting the install?

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) no i will though thanks
by edcritic / May 28, 2012 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried a reboot
Collapse -
(NT) it worked - thanks much
by edcritic / May 28, 2012 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried a reboot
Collapse -
Glad it worked for you.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 28, 2012 10:27 PM PDT

Reboot, we keep forgetting how often that solves such things, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
received the same message point 11.
by edcritic / May 28, 2012 4:33 AM PDT

this duplicates what I encountered. thanks

Collapse -
Answer
LibreOffice Release Notes
by KenHusveg / May 28, 2012 8:30 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.