LG forum

LG55LS5700 - Msg Asking to select TV input pops up randomly

by MPCarney / June 16, 2012 7:44 AM PDT

HI I recently bought the LG 55LS 5700. TV is hooked up to Direct TV and a Denon receiver and I use both those remotes for controlling TV/Audio etc. While watching tv randomly I get a message on screen which says " i only available in TV input. Do you want to select TV input."

This occurs when I am not using the LG remote, and not using ANY remote. I can just be sitting there watching and this pops up onscreen. I have to take the LG remote and select NO and it goes away. And then might pop back up again minutes later or half hour later. How do I stop this? Everything I have runs thru my HDMI2 port. Thanks for your help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG55LS5700 - Msg Asking to select TV input pops up randomly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG55LS5700 - Msg Asking to select TV input pops up randomly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Sounds like a bug.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2012 7:57 AM PDT

Did you call LG and ask if they have new firmware?

Collapse -
Call LG re: Firmware
by MPCarney / June 16, 2012 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds like a bug.

Thanks for your response. I am not a hugely tech savvy person. I'm only just learning about how to work with this TV, receiver etc. This is the first flat screen let alone smart tv. So I would just call LG tech support? I tried an online support where you chat with a live lg support person and the live chat was closed. I then did email them- not no response at this point- likely due to weekend. Is there a way to update firmware automatically? Sorry - I really am pretty much a novice.

Collapse -
That's why I use the old system.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2012 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Call LG re: Firmware

It's the phone. Today folk try those chats and email but I find the phone to be far more effective.

These makers are reeling under the strain of moving from "TVs" to Smart TVs. The calls I hear have hit new highs and I see returns at the local stores on the weekends.

I have no trouble with advising a return when the maker doesn't fix a bug. And the updates may or may not be automatic. That's why I always check the support page for the model.

It feels like Windows all over again.

Collapse -
Pop Up Message Fix
by MPCarney / June 17, 2012 4:57 AM PDT

Thank you. The issue worsened overnight. It was a pop up message and I was able to reach tech support this morning. We did a hard reset of the TV itself and at the moment that appears to have solved the issue. We'll see if it holds. Happy

Thank you again for responding.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.