LG

General discussion

LG Xenon GR500 doesnt work with USB headphones/earbuds

by Goze211 / April 28, 2009 7:18 PM PDT

I have a Xenon and some Motorola mini USB earbuds. Since the Xenon's only connection is a micro USB port, I got an adapter. The earbuds don't work at all. Is it possible the USB port on this phone doesn't support these? Seems unlikly. Does the fact that they're Motorola have an effect? Also seems unlikely. LG is offering no accesories for the phone. It seems lame to have to buy a $30 Bluetooth stereo part to make it functional as a stereo MP3 player.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG Xenon GR500 doesnt work with USB headphones/earbuds
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG Xenon GR500 doesnt work with USB headphones/earbuds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try Howardforurms
by Pepe7 / April 29, 2009 12:02 AM PDT

Someone may have discovered a trick already since it's a relatively new model-

howardforums.com

Collapse -
Xenon Accessories
by etoedt / April 30, 2009 12:32 AM PDT

I too have this phone. I like it, but want to use my noise reducing headset with it and can not find an adapter. Does anyone know where/when it will be available?

Collapse -
3.5mm (1/8") adapter for LG Xenon (GR500)
by dogoncouch / January 11, 2010 2:16 PM PST
In reply to: Xenon Accessories
Collapse -
LG Xenon GR500 doesn't work with USB earbuds
by rojoelkman / June 8, 2009 3:48 PM PDT

I bought the above phone for my Daughter. I have ordered & received a Motorola adapter with the little box (female) on it that the 3.5MM male headphone plugs into. We are unable to get the sound to come thru the earbuds. The music will only play on the external speaker on the phone. The Motorola adapter is a Micro USB to 3.5MM headphone jack converter. I had originally bought from the ATT store earbud headphones with the micro USB on them, But I did not have any music loaded on her phone, and she said the earbuds were way to big for her ears so I took them back. I think I might make a trip to the ATT store and try the headphones just to see if they will work.

Collapse -
Bluetooth Connection for Headset Vise Plug In
by etoedt / June 9, 2009 12:19 AM PDT

I ended up buying a small Bluetooth clip for the phone instead of a plug in adapter. I am now able to plug my old noise-reducing earbuds into this little unit and hear my phone/music/movies stored on the Xenon. It cost about as much as another pair of head phones, but I like the convenience of the wireless connection.

Collapse -
bluetooth clip
by maryles3 / June 10, 2009 3:13 AM PDT

Where did you purchase this bluetooth clip? What brand is it?

Collapse -
Bluetooth Clip
by etoedt / June 10, 2009 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: bluetooth clip

I bought it at a kiosk/mobile store in the Seattle airport, but I'm betting even Radioshack would have something like it. It does not have a brand name on the device and I had the sales rep open the packaging to try it out, and left it there when I bought it. It's black, about 1.5" long and has a blue embossed lable that says "Bluetooth."
It works great though! I highly recommend using a bluetooth adapter with ones favorite headset.

Collapse -
I found a bluetooth clip for $15
by abushamsuddin / October 14, 2009 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: bluetooth clip
Collapse -
Motorola Micro USB Headphones for the LG Xenon
by Tar_Heel / July 8, 2009 6:37 AM PDT

I bought four pairs of Motorola Micro USB Headphones for my family's LG Xenon phones at the AT&T store. The salesperson assured me they would work. The headphone plugs seemed compatible with the phone's jack, but I was unable to get any headphone to work with any phone, so I returned them. I would hesitate to buy any headphones advertised to work with the Xenon until some time passes. I was told the Xenon jack is the universally adopted standard going forward, but I'm beginning to wonder if it is truly micro USB compatible.

I'm thinking about cutting off the USB plug from a Xenon car charger and splicing/soldering it to a set of ear buds (after removing the original plug) to see if that will work.

Collapse -
LG Xenon Micro USB headphones/Motorola car charger micro USB
by rojoelkman / July 8, 2009 6:05 PM PDT

Not a good idea to splice onto a Motorola car charger Micro USB. The wires leading out of the car charger Micro USB end are wired to the power supply terminals.If you splice onto them you would be wiring the headphones to the power supply terminals. Meaning it would not work. The power supply would have 2 terminals=1 positive & 1 negative. The headphones being stereo would have 4 or 3 wires, positive left, positive right, negative left, negative right or just a single common negative wire for both sides.

Collapse -
Any other products?
by AndoDoug / November 22, 2009 4:20 AM PST

>We are unable to get the sound to come thru the earbuds. The music will only play on the external speaker on the phone. The Motorola adapter is a Micro USB to 3.5MM headphone jack converter.

Thanks for the tip about mini usb --> standard headphone jack adapters by motorola. Is there any fix for this? The earbuds that come with the phone are unusable.

Collapse -
I've had luck with this adapter
by formicok / December 8, 2009 10:51 PM PST
In reply to: Any other products?
Collapse -
Adapter for GR500 does exist
by raysaun / April 2, 2010 9:25 AM PDT

There is an adapter available specifically for GR500 on eBay. The seller is bumblebeeharnesses and the item id is 130378977866. I have seen a forum remark by someone who says it works great. It is 6.99 with free shipping.

Collapse -
Adapter for GR500 does exist
by raysaun / April 5, 2010 4:38 AM PDT

I ordered the adapter from ebay and received it today. It does work, I am currently listening to music from my phone.

Collapse -
yo
by GEDOHBLAZZTER / November 14, 2011 7:56 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.