LG forum

General discussion

LG TV "INVALID FORMAT"

by Blazin65 / July 19, 2009 1:04 AM PDT

I have a LG 37 inch tv that I'm loosing my patience on. The problem is, almost every other day, I get an error message that says invalid format. The only way I can get the TV to come on is to turn it on and off @ 5 times. I have already replaced the HDMI cable, and it was better for a while, but now the problem has come back. I've called DirecTV, and of course, they say it's not them. Has anyone had this problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG TV "INVALID FORMAT"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG TV "INVALID FORMAT"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you look around.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2009 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: LG TV "INVALID FORMAT"
Collapse -
Direct TV says this:::::
by Blazin65 / July 20, 2009 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: If you look around.

Just a note to anyone that might have read this. According to DirecTV, the problem is in a Native Resolution setting. Long story short, with the Direct TV remote, go to menu/set-up/system set-up/HDTV/ and then turn Native Resolution "Off". Supposedly my TV is capable of 1080p, but the satellite reciever is only capable of 1080i. Somehow the software of the LG TV was conflicting with the Satellite reciever. I finally got LG on the phone and they said the same thing. Maybe this fixed it.

Collapse -
LG 50 inch palsma TV. "Invalid format" on only bluray.
by mdiety / January 7, 2010 4:14 AM PST
In reply to: If you look around.

I've got quality HDMI's v1.3, and keep getting the invalid format error. RARELY, it will work. I tried my Samsung and Magnavox Bluray players and done firmware upgrades on both. I've connected the Blurays directly to the TV (rather than thru the receiver) with the same results. Direct TV HD works just fine! Tried the different HDMI ports on back of LG as well. Component jacks didn't help any either. Both players work fine on other TVs. Help!

Collapse -
Do the consumer walk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2010 6:15 AM PST

To the returns counter. Product that fails to perform deserves to be returned for exchange or refund.

Collapse -
"invalid Format error" on LG plasma TV only using Bluray
by mdiety / January 7, 2010 10:57 AM PST
In reply to: Do the consumer walk.

Despite that fact TV is reportedly 1080P according to my manual(LG 50P5D) and Direct TV works fine in 1080P resolution, LG online chat (got disconnected 3 times and took over an hour...) says it's only 720p WXGA. I hooked The Bluray to another TV, changed the resolution to 720 and wala. Bluray works, despite DTV still working on 1080P with native resolution. Not happy, but at least it works... I've had the TV over a year, so return not an option. Thanks.

Collapse -
Invalid Format Error
by mdiety / January 7, 2010 10:59 AM PST

By the way, LG says no firmware upgrades are available now or in the works...

Collapse -
If you haven't tried it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2010 12:10 PM PST
In reply to: Invalid Format Error

Try every HDMI cable you have. One time this paid off.

Sorry to read you got stuck with the product. Those that had pre-HDMI are really smarting.

Collapse -
HDMI PC to TV showing "invalid format"
by networksip / March 20, 2010 11:13 AM PDT

after days of trying to configure my laptop and my tv I decided to take a lamp and look very carefully the HDMI port on my laptop and I found out that one of the little pins inside the HDMI connector was all the way in so it was not doing any contact with the HDMI cable, what I did was I opened my laptop and found the HDMI port and with a little screw driver I pushed the little pin out and it works!, but I STRONGLY RECOMMEND NOT TO DO THAT, at least that you know what you're doing, otherwise you can damage your laptop. This was my experience and it works for me.

Collapse -
Invalid Format
by billy0512 / June 13, 2010 6:23 AM PDT

I fixed this problem by hooking my blu ray up via the RCA (red, yellow, white) cables and going into the the blu-ray's settings and changing the resolution to 740p. I then disconnected the RCA cables and connected the HDMI cable. That worked for me. I can't explain why 1080i doesn't work however.

Collapse -
Solved
by mobile13 / September 12, 2010 9:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Invalid Format

Hi,

Just go to DVD player menu and set picture resolution to 1080 i instead of 1080 p (or reverse depending of "TV DVD combination")

It will work

Expert MB

Collapse -
Unplug the TV for a Few!!!
by jgorton123 / September 17, 2011 10:13 PM PDT

Just got this answer from a helpful tech. Unplug the tv for a few, let it boot back up then try your hdmi inputs again. This resets the microprocessor.

Collapse -
Invalid Format
by valius324 / December 17, 2011 7:16 AM PST

Most of the time you have set your OS screen resolution too high.

Collapse -
Unexpected setting
by FHoff2 / February 9, 2014 3:46 AM PST

We recently purchased an LG 46" HDTV to replace a failing Samsung. We really like the picture and overall performance, but after about a week of use we began to experience the "INVALID FORMAT" error when turning on the set. (The LG is connected to a TWC Scientific Atlanta 8300 via an HDMI cable. The SA 8300 is set to transmit 1080i, and that setting is "locked" in the SA 8300, so there should be no "hunting for best option" behavior on either end.)
At first we could remedy this problem by switching the LG's "source" from the HDMI to its' internal tuner ("TV") and then back to the SA 8300 HDMI. Then the "INVALID FORMAT" condition began to occur at random times during the day.
I finally decided to review every setting that I could find in the SA 8300 and the LG HDTV. I made no changes in the SA 8300, but - as an experiment - turned on the "Simplink" feature in the LG. (I had not turned that feature on during initial LG setup because (a) our SA 8300 is not a "Simplink" device, and (b) our Bluray player is an "Anynet+" device.)
Much to my surprise, since that change we have had no (none, zero) occurrences of the "INVALID FORMAT" error.
The only explanation that I can offer myself is that activating the "Simplink" feature enabled some additional signal-processing software that made the LG better at recognizing signal input over the HDMI link.

Collapse -
Invalid Format with LG TV and DVD Player: SOLVED!
by tjflyguy / April 5, 2014 3:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Unexpected setting

I had the same problem tonight and solved it. I have a LG TV but also a LG DVD player. I went into the setup menu and while I was working through the type of connection it makes to the internet, it found a firmware upgrade for the DVD Player, not the TV! I let it apply the update and no more invalid formats. DVDs all play properly.

Collapse -
Invalid Format with LG TV and DVD Player SOLVED!
by tjflyguy / April 5, 2014 3:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Unexpected setting

I had the same problem tonight and solved it. I have a LG TV but also a LG DVD player. I went into the setup menu and while I was working through the type of connection it makes to the internet, it found a firmware upgrade for the DVD Player, not the TV! I let it apply the update and no more invalid formats. DVDs all play properly.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.