TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

LG Plasma Flat Panel 42PC3D - No picture just sound

by wifeyandmommy / September 15, 2008 1:10 PM PDT

Heard a sound while watching TV. The picture just died. Now the screen is black as if it is turned off but the sound remains.

We've had it 2 years and 3 months....warrenty lasted 2 years...go figure.

I found another website where TONS of people are saying the same things has happened to them...but no real solutions that I can find.

Any idea if this is fixable?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG Plasma Flat Panel 42PC3D - No picture just sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG Plasma Flat Panel 42PC3D - No picture just sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Everything is fixable, for a price . . .
by Coryphaeus / September 16, 2008 9:59 PM PDT

Have you contacted LG?

Collapse -
LG Plasma Flat Panel 42PC3D - No picture just sound
by goeagles08 / November 10, 2008 1:44 AM PST

I had a similar problem happen to me last week. I contacted LG and since the TV was just out of warranty period they asked me to take it to the local recommended service company. Repair company said that Y main board & buffer need to be replaced and that it will run be ~$550 (all inclusive). Has anyone tried to get LG to cover for parts?

Thanks!

Collapse -
LG Plasma 42PC3D- No picture just sound
by kwagner33 / January 5, 2009 7:06 AM PST

I had the same problem happen to me the other day. I was watching my tv and heard a loud "pop" sound and had no picture just sound. I called LG and told them what happened, my tv is 5 months out of warranty, they basically told me to bad so sad and gave a number to local service company. I then went online and seen where several people were having the same issue with this tv. I called LG again 5 days after and told them that I had researched my problem with my tv online and found that several people had this problem and maybe they should consider a recall on this tv. I was on hold for 5 minutes and the gentleman at LG came back to say that even though my tv is months out of warranty they will cover the cost of my repair. I had to fax my original receipt to them with a confirmation number they gave me and within 24-48 hrs service was set up. Thank you LG!

Collapse -
42 LG Plasma
by najaltc / April 17, 2009 8:18 AM PDT

I just took my tv to the authorized dealer, he said all three circuit boards were blown, 700.00 to rplace them. He also has seen alot of this model with the same problem. My tv is 2 1/2 years old!! I am going to call customer service ans insist they correct this problem on their dime.

Collapse -
Repair Tip
by J.TAN / July 25, 2010 11:39 PM PDT

The part that cause the common failure of LG 42PC3D No picture just sound are the Y-sus & Z-sus circuit boards.The part in the Y & Z sus boards are call IPM.The reason is heat generated by impedance and age.I found a method to prevent this problem is by making the IPM work cooler by adding more heat sink area on to the existing heat sink.Without additional heat sink the IPM temperture measures 75 degrees C.What I learn about semiconductors failure,heat is one of them.Also mosfets inside the IPM will short and burn up.The LG P/N. for the IPM is 4921QP1043B.

Collapse -
I woner if
by alb321 / March 9, 2013 8:42 PM PST
In reply to: Repair Tip

I wonder if the same problem exists in 60" set?

Collapse -
possibly.
by gtoal / March 15, 2014 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: I woner if

I just had this happen to my LG 60 plasma (60PZ950) which is 2 years and one week since purchase.

Submitted a service request via LG's website, haven't heard back yet. They don't have their own service teams in my area so it'll be some local shop. $85 call out to evaluate the problem according to the website. The set is too heavy for me to take it to them.

Collapse -
IPM replace
by adrianakoni / October 24, 2014 11:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Repair Tip

Hi there, was it easy to replace the IPM in each of the Y & Z sustain boards?
Did you only replace this part or both the Y & Z Sustain boards?

Thanks very much for any intel you can share.
Thanks
Adriana

Collapse -
Mine just did the same thing
by dfsheehy / September 5, 2010 4:28 AM PDT

My LG plasma did the same thing as yours. It's not even 3 years old. I paid Best Buy $1100.00 dollars for it and they told me it's out of their hands. They said I should contact the manufacturer about it. I too checked online and there are a bunch of people across the country with the same problem. I'm gonna collect all the info on this and turn it over to the Atorney Generals office. Best Buy and LG can deal with them.

Collapse -
LG flat screen TV goes black
by maxcommish / September 15, 2010 2:39 PM PDT

I purchased a 52" LG flat screen TV 20 months ago. Apparently, the warranty is only for a year. I spent $1600. About a month ago, after watching for 10 min, the upper L hand corner of the screen would get dark, and then after 30 minutes the entire screen would go black. After waiting about 30 min, we'd turn the TV back on and the whole cycle would start again. An LG liscenced repair man came out (for $99 just to walk in) and we were able to demonstrate the problem. He told us we needed an entire new panel and that it would cost $1800. After reading several accounts of similar problems, we called LG. They act as if they never hear any of these complaints and basically told us we were s.o.l. So now what? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Collapse -
42PC3D-UD LG plasma
by slocke5 / December 7, 2010 12:57 AM PST

Im going through the same thing. We purchased a 42" LG plasma from Best Buy 3 years ago. Our screen started off with little green and red pits in the screen then it just went black and the sound was still there. I called Best Buy they said they couldn't do anything and to call LG. I did that and they also said that the warranty has passed and to call a local repair shop. This is very frustrating to see/ hear that so many others are having the same problem.It seems that the problem may be the X&Y SUSTAIN BOARDS. Has anyone else replaced these parts on their TV?

Collapse -
plasma tv 42 in
by belinda775 / July 27, 2013 8:28 AM PDT

my 42p j350 3yrs old have no sound and picture turns on but turns back off

Collapse -
other websites with these problems
by dfsheehy / September 5, 2010 4:35 AM PDT

Can anybody direct me to other consumer websites with LG Plasma TV problems so I can copy them to send to the Atorney Generals office?

Collapse -
LG 42" black screen
by golden01 / October 18, 2010 11:10 AM PDT

I'm having the same problem. Just watching the news tonight and all of a sudden, a black screen. Powered it off/on, nothig. changed the imput, nothing. At least my unit is a few years old (maybe seven). Looks like I'm headed down to Best Buy this evening. And, won't be purchasing a LG.

Collapse -
Black Screen Problemo solution
by Esterline123 / December 13, 2010 7:37 AM PST
In reply to: LG 42" black screen

You have to Replace both the Y and Z sustain boards and the control board. I found a repair kit at http://www.donberg.ie. Only cost $200. Not Easy to replace but I Hope this helps. I have 4 of these TVs hangin in my bar and saved a bunch of money by fixing this myself.

Collapse -
Part number
by milhorn / February 27, 2011 10:34 PM PST

Thank you for the tip about the boards. Could you please provide the part number(s) that your ordered?

Collapse -
Hello , I have a LG 50pq
by steerland / March 22, 2011 1:23 PM PDT

my plasma sounds like the same problem you had, except it is bigger.I looked up the kit you used and It looks the same for my tv. I have never done this before,(my first rodeo and all that)I'm a mechanic . do you think a green horn like me can do it? Thanks for any info, Tom

Collapse -
no picture audio works fine 42pc3d
by JWHALEN1 / April 19, 2011 12:08 PM PDT

I have the same tv and the same problem. I think the tv is about 3-4 years old. same tv 42pc3d. no picture at all. the tv turns on and the audio works but no picture. have you had any luck fixing yours? I was told to look at the back light or the circuit boards.

Collapse -
50 inch LG Plasma
by jdb7918 / April 28, 2011 12:32 PM PDT

The picture blacks out after a few minutes of viewing. Powering it on and off will get the picture back briefly. Paid a tech 50 bucks to take the back off and says he can't find anything wrong. Only two years old. Never buy another LG ANYTHING!!!!

Collapse -
LG TV class action.
by tpssl / July 25, 2011 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: 50 inch LG Plasma

LG got sued in New Jersey recently for their TV defects. Google LG TV class action for details.

Collapse -
(NT) EASY FIX REPLACE ZSUS BOARD GET NUMBER OFF BOARD... EBAY
by TWSOCKS / September 29, 2013 10:51 PM PDT
Collapse -
same problem have lg pk950
by gailoct / September 25, 2014 9:25 AM PDT

Please let me know if you find the problem. My TV turns on have sound but no picture.

Collapse -
42 inch lg plasma
by bozodaclone / March 23, 2012 12:55 AM PDT

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY MINE BROKE WHEN IT WAS 3 YEARS OLD. LG DID PAY FOR THE PARTS BUT I HAD TO PAY A SHOP $250.00 IN LABOR THEY WOULD NOT SEND ME THE PARTS. NOW IT DID IT AGAIN LESS THAN 2 YEARS LATER. I PAID $1700.00 FOR THIS PILE OF CR*P WHEN IT WAS NEW THEN ANOTHER $ 250.00 WHEN IT WAS 3. NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY ANYTHING WITH Lousy Garbage STAMPED ON IT. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR BUY SOMTHING ELSE.

Collapse -
LG 42 PC1D
by DennyLG67 / March 2, 2013 3:01 AM PST
In reply to: 42 inch lg plasma

I have just read thru the string of failed units - and now I am in the fraternity! I have had mine for six years, so I guess I should be thankful that it lasted that long. Similar happening - just watching TV then a strong POP and now no picture just audio. From what I have read it sounds like I might as well start looking for a replacement.

Collapse -
Possible class action lawsuit
by alb321 / March 9, 2013 8:25 PM PST

A Tv in today's advanced should not be manufactured to last only during its warranty period or shortly after the warranty is over. This is defective product.
If 1-3 consumers brings a suit against LG, the lawsuit will be supported by (as you have stated, "Tons of people having the same problem"

Collapse -
The reality is, class action lawsuits are typically...
by Pepe7 / March 10, 2013 1:01 AM PST

rarely effective. What they *do* accomplish is make a law firm or two rich, and ultimely fail to keep the manufacturer from repeating the same thing with other products that they mass produce from cheap parts sourced in China (etc.). The consumer gets a check for $20, or some sort of tiny discount on the next LG product (LOL).

What should happen is, the consumer should be voting in every election to keep the lobbyists away from our congressional representatives & government officials who are supposed to be looking out for our best interests. The companies who repeat such activities should not be allowed to do business in the US. Such despicable activities by other industries (oil/gas/airlines/auto) should be banned as well.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.