Phones

General discussion

LG DARE vs Iphone

by useyourbrain / June 28, 2008 11:41 AM PDT

Give me your opinion. main thing to remember 3g does not come close to EVDO REV A. which the Dare has

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG DARE vs Iphone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG DARE vs Iphone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
EVDO
by snowbird505 / June 28, 2008 2:24 PM PDT
In reply to: LG DARE vs Iphone

so, EVDO is like one-step ahead of 3-G ?

Collapse -
Forgeting Why the Iphone is an Iphone
by DipsetBeast72 / June 29, 2008 1:34 AM PDT

I tunes and a built in Ipod is my reason for getting and Iphone, the rest of the stuff is great but no mp3 player can compare to the organized clean look of an Ipod, espeically not the horrible things they but in verizon phones(which I currently have). They're annoying un organized and sound quality sucks. And yea I know teh Iphone doesn;t have video or mms but I hardly use that stuff anyway, it's just really a because its there type a thing for me. Oh well anyway thats my 2cents on it.

P.S. No other phone has the app store, and for me being college and having a phone that can download an app that has study stuff for every subject is f****** amazing( I hate accountign lol)...

Collapse -
but what about
by useyourbrain / June 29, 2008 10:15 AM PDT

Ok ipod built in. The dare is also a Rhapsody player and gives you 5 million songs you can listen to at one rate of $15 a month. True about the app store, but thats where a Full functioning pda should come in. But hey if thats what you need then sounds right for you. remember it will run you an extra $40 to have the Iphone, and if it just the app zone you need, you have to ask is it worth that?

Thanks for the input

Collapse -
dare does things a little better than iphone
by jerxxx1300 / June 29, 2008 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: but what about

the iphone as email, ipod, apps store, threaded messaging and a good mix of features. but when the ipods main buyer is the kid in high school who can send about 4000 texts a month on a phone it doesn't hold up. mms has become very popular and one of the most popular phones amongst teens are the phones with full qwerty keyboards. yes the iphone does have a full onscreen qwerty keyboard but let's be honest, it is awful. yes it does learn your messaging habits over time but honestly apple is being dumb. i love and swear to apple products but i will still not be in line for an iphone. i would get the dare. the dare has the landscape qwerty keyboard. let's be honest the difference if like a palm centro vs a sidekick when it comes to comfort and east of messaging. the dare also has evdo and at&t's 3g is slower than tmobile's edge network! plus at&t has not done anything but move backwards since they are not cingular. the two things that apple should do is put in the multimedia messaging and the landscape keyboard for more than typing in a web site. they would notice iphone sales to most likely double. sales would go higher if they would sell it unlocked and have a cdma/evdo capable phone! for a company to show so much chane the iphone is a step forward and backwards. i will get the dare and have the nicer messaging and faster network that is sadly cheaper than AT&T!

Collapse -
Highschool kids don't care about a Big Qwerty or MMS
by DipsetBeast72 / June 29, 2008 7:32 PM PDT

Facebook is everything now, you can get pics off of it,put them on, and tag the people that were in them.The Iphone can put them online for you as I've seen happen and everbody goes "OMG thats sweet," then the person goes into theyre show of the features lol it funny, but yea I've been going to open houses for the past month and most people still just use t9 so the qwerty thing isn't even a serious comment....

Collapse -
Facebook
by useyourbrain / June 30, 2008 9:08 AM PDT

That is good cause facebook is available on the Dare. MMS is very popular, but true t9 or qwerty who cares. Good thing the Dae gives you both or you can just write it with the transcriber.

Collapse -
Qwerty keyboard
by vwouwer / July 2, 2008 5:44 AM PDT

thats not true im in high school and i want a full qwerty keyboard

Collapse -
good
by DipsetBeast72 / July 3, 2008 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Qwerty keyboard

Glad the Iphone has one

Collapse -
Verizon Didn't wnat it
by DipsetBeast72 / July 3, 2008 2:32 AM PDT

It was originally goign to be a CDMA/EVDO but Verizon turned down Steve Jobs lol. Bout the dumbest thing I've ever heard of, especially seeing as this was before the aquired Alltell and got theyre "Biggest Network Crown" back, and that would have simply murdered Att completely. The only thing ATT has going for it right now is the Iphone and the Tilt. The 3g iPhone is gonna sell like silly, and more and more people are going to jumping ship just liek I'm about to do...No matter the faults, no matter the short comings, because in reality normal consumer buy stuff thats prettym, shiny, and whatever is the new hott ish and don't care how Cnet reviews. Oh and I've played with a Dare and the thing is really sluggish and the touch screen is not very good at picking up miss-hits versus actual taps, think the palm centro is even better at that...hmmm

Man I sound liek a fanboy lol, but really I'm just a college kid who thinks the phone is the **** right now....

Collapse -
re
by hardymj2007 / July 20, 2008 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Verizon Didn't wnat it

First of all Dipset, Apple turned down Verizon due to the lack of corporate stores, as Apple did not want the phone sold in authorized retailers (which is what a majority of VZW stores are btw), not to mention the fact that even with altell and vzw merging they barely have more customers than at&t and no where near the coverage areas stateside and NONE worldwide! They are only biggest network cust wise, outside of that nothing

Collapse -
verizon
by Anacarter / August 1, 2008 8:59 AM PDT
In reply to: re

Are you sure ATT coverage areas are bigger than that of VZW? Have you even looked at a US coverage map with VZW nework and ATT's stacked together? Prob not. I bet you haven't travel to some central areas, where there is alsolutly NO, i mean NO reception for ATT. Maybe in towns/cities, ATT still got some reception, but really its not that good. And yes, even with alltel and VZW merging, the customer base is not alot bigger than ATT's. But you do know that prepaids play a big role in ATT reported cust base, right? World-wide capability is true tho, but even then, VZW offers 2 world phone for you to travel to areas without CDMA nework (read: GSM capable).

Collapse -
LG Dare Vs. Iphone - Reception and Quality
by esteban28 / August 4, 2008 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: verizon

I agree with Anacarter, VWZ range is far better than ATT. Last week we went from PHX to Las Vegas and my VWZ still had bars while driving through the desert. I looked back to my buddy's ATT and the reception was dead. However, here's the caveat, I strongly believe that the iPhone is far superior than the LG Dare because Apple has the best touch screen technology. In terms of phones, the new iPhone is still the best cell phone in the market. It's slick, fast and reliable. The LG Dare is sluggish and the keys get stuck. Also, the auto-sensor that turns off the screen is not that smart at all.....

Collapse -
LG Dare vs. iPhone
by sobuff / October 12, 2009 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: verizon

Before making a final decision on LG Dare vs. iPhone I have two major concerns. The first is phone coverage. I've been happy with my current Verizon coverage and have heard some bad reports about AT&T coverage. Secondly, I'm not sure how an LG Dare would interface with my MacBook email, calendar, etc. Any first hand experience with either problem?

Collapse -
True, BUT...
by stevevb / October 5, 2008 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: but what about

The Dare has a software bug that causes the Dare to drop artist names from your library. This is maddingly annoying. Although Verizon just released a software update, it problem persists. Customer service has been horrible. I've been a Verizon subscriber for years, and up until now, I've been pretty pleased. Now, I'm just p-off.

Collapse -
the Dare has many bugs
by mbjar-22095914712568128972697178158356 / April 24, 2009 11:57 PM PDT
In reply to: True, BUT...

We have experienced the same frustration. My son's Dare after a couple of months of use would turn itself on and off, call the last person he dialed, and screen would freeze. All of those issues Verizon acknowledges and is supposed to be covered in the software update. Well we are on our 5th Dare in 9 months. They won't let us have a different phone and each replacement ultimately does the same thing. And they replace it with a used refurbished model even though we originally bought a brand new one. I can't wait until my contract is up.

Collapse -
LG Dare vs. iPhone
by James von Veit / September 2, 2008 5:36 AM PDT

I've only had Apple computers since college and craved an iPhone so bad but AT&T made me go to Verizon and get the LG Dare (my wife got the LG Voyager and loves it!) I'm sure the iPhone has a better internet experience and touch features, but the fact that Apple is holding back video recording made my choice easy. Even though my Dare's camera/camcorder is not perfect. It shoots 640x480, 320x240 and 176x144 (the latter for email.) The camera is 3.2 mega-pixels but again, I find the camcorder and digital camera SLOW and annoying at times, but maybe I need to read the manual to obtain shortcut information. By choosing www instead of Verizon's browser I read pages on CNet quicker than I thought I could have and it's just 15 dollars for unlimited Data the entire month per line opposed to 30 for AT&T. So I am impressed with both the Voyager and the Dare and I'm a tough critic. In two years when the iPhone has video maybe I may make the switch. But if the iTouch gets video recording than I'll get that instead. I Dare to be different.

Collapse -
CDMA/EVDO Platforms poddible.
by strider 667 / December 11, 2008 6:37 PM PST
In reply to: LG Dare vs. iPhone

There is a Phd, Professor working with a world allstar team right now on this very query/subject, CDMA/EVDO Hybrids ciuld shortly become the woeld standard for civilian, and military encryption. They can take up to 976 kps bitchip encryption, and the possibilities are endless. The French seem to have the first start, with the Germans coming up fast. All that is needed is an cross-over beta-blinder to rally the last quad of , oh well you folks are not that far along to help. It's on a need-to-know. You all know how the Russies and Chinese are? Just get ready or 4th dimension projection, with extreme outcomes. After 975, it goes off the charts, plasma, whatever. I don't get paid enough to invent this stuff for Vladimir, just for his buddies down South. Wish me luck

Collapse -
LG Dare Calendar Sync----Help!
by yogmuney07 / June 30, 2008 10:29 AM PDT

Does anyone now of a third party software that will allow me to sync an Lg phone like the voyager or dare with outlook. I don't want real time push mail, just a once or twice daily manual sync via bluetooth.

HELP!!!

Thansk,

Greg

Collapse -
depends on the email
by useyourbrain / June 30, 2008 1:29 PM PDT

due to these phones not being PDA's that synceing would not work. However they do offer numerous email options such as mobile email, REMO mail, and a few others. As far as contacts Backupassistant would be best option.

Collapse -
LG Dare - Outlook Sync
by jmay1359 / July 11, 2008 10:04 AM PDT

A guy at ckt city downloaded some sw. Remosync.org. Works perfectly

Collapse -
RemoSync with Outlook?
by sharpiee / July 21, 2008 12:00 AM PDT
In reply to: LG Dare - Outlook Sync

Can you clarify if RemoSync worked with Outlook (especially calendar)? I looked at the website and it looks like it's more of a file sync utility...

Collapse -
LG Dare by Verizon
by lgjoni / August 22, 2008 10:32 AM PDT
In reply to: LG Dare - Outlook Sync

Can I sync the LG Dare with my pc at work for my calendar and outlook email like I do my motorola q.

Collapse -
Third party software for Dare sync to Outlook
by mandkim / September 2, 2008 6:35 AM PDT

I looked for an independent (free or one time charge) application for awhile, without luck.

Verizon offers two apps: Remosync and Wireless Sync. Remosync costs $10/month to use, Wireless Sync costs $20/month. I have downloaded and used Remosync and it works well - I have access to my Outlook email, calendar, contacts, etc. Not too happy about paying $120/year for this, but.....

Collapse -
Verizon is locked like Ft. Knox
by Lucille14 / September 8, 2008 5:18 AM PDT

I've had the Dare for a bit over 2 months now and am craving some of that iPhone app store. Verizon does this with all their phones, but it's becoming increasingly annoying now that some other phones, like the iPhone and upcoming G1, have an easier app creating process. verizon only has 10 apps available for download on the Dare, and nearly all of them cost about $5 a month (talk about nickel and dime). That's right, the heavily advertised Dare only has 10 apps for download.

Unfortunately for you, the only app Verizon has for syncing email with the dare is something they call "RemoSync - Corporate". It's $10 a month (not including extra data charges... again nickel and dime). This is real time push ... sorry, but that is your only real email option on the Dare other than mobile email

Collapse -
LG Dare Calendar
by esteban28 / September 8, 2008 3:01 PM PDT

Actually, Susteen Data Pilot software NOW supports LG Dare for Calendar, Ringtones, Contacts, etc.

Collapse -
This was all I was needing...
by mwoleslagle / September 9, 2008 8:48 AM PDT
In reply to: LG Dare Calendar

...to put me over the edge. I can't see reason to not get the Dare now. I was holding out for a good way to sync calendar items and contacts with Outlook. This software is inexpensive and been around a long time so should be reliable. Has anyone tried the Data Pilot software yet?

Collapse -
Do Not Compromise...
by Capricorn3 / June 30, 2009 6:51 AM PDT

I bought DataPilot and never used it because it is no MS Outlook.
IDateBook is not great either... MS Outlook is a benchmark for a reason: it is designed by MS and used by everybody.
You should not be put in a position by LG or anybodyelse for that
matter that you cannot sync your cell phone contacts & calendar with
the MS Outlook --- the software that most people use.---
Just say no to LG & alike till they make their product compatible (after all MS was here way before LG). In the meantime go with Samsung, HTC and other brands that choose to fit their products into people lifes and not the other way around.

Collapse -
idatebook
by agrahamday / October 25, 2008 12:32 AM PDT

OK, I KNOW Verizon and LG have the capability to do this as I currently wirelessly sync my outlook calendar with my verizon phone and vice versa(it updates both ways). I have an OLD phone lg4500 and use a program from GET IT NOW called idatebook. It cost like 2 or 3 bucks a month. I LOVE it! Now, I want to upgrade my phone to the DARE but I can't get idatebook on it! In fact it is not available to the Voyager either. What the????!!!! Funny thing is, idatebook uses Xpherix software which is sychronization software owned by Remoba, which currently offers the RemoSync feature that allows the DARE to sync with Outlook (only if you have a MS corporate server) for a charge of 10 bucks per month. Now, if idatebook is owned/run by the same group that does RemoSync, then why the heck can't idatebook be available to the DARE or Voyager or every single freakin' LG phone??? I think Verizon should be SWAMPED with requests for this (WE NEED idatebook AVAIALABLE TO THE DARE!!!) as well as swamp idatebook http://www.remoba.com/idatebook.html with requests as well. This ridiculousness is just another way of Verizon nickle and diming us to death!

Collapse -
syncing the LG DARE with Outlook
by agrahamday / December 12, 2008 12:46 AM PST
In reply to: idatebook

I contacted Remoba, and as far as contacts AND outlook calendar, the LG Dare and the LG Voyager phones can now be synced wirelessly using the idatebook application from Get it Now. I know, I have it. Download it, follow the directions, try it, it works. Yes there is a monthly charge for it. Still not bad. Doesn't do the outlook email though...

Collapse -
The Specs
by RazrPSPnanodude / July 4, 2008 4:13 PM PDT

First of all, the interface. Apple has probably created the most brilliant interface ever seen on a phone with the iPhone, making pretty much every other interface (except maybe the new Blackberry O.S.) look decades outdated. However, the Dare still has an intuitive interface with it's customizable home screen, 50+ choice for menu icons, etc. The iPhone is better in this area, but the Dare is still good. Now the camera is where the iPhone has it's biggest flop. 2 MP with no flash or anything, and worst of all, NO VIDEO! WTF Apple? You're supposed to be the definition of cutting edge technology, and this is what you give us? How pathetic. On the other hand, the Dare has an above average 3.2 MP camera with video (of course, LG isn't stupid) not to mention an LED flash and face detection, the only phone in the U.S. with the latter! Those are the two major differences in my opinion, except I'd like to add that Verizon trumps AT&T in almost every area including the faster EVDO Rev A, and the Dare has TWO virtual keyboard interfaces that both top Apple's. You can make your decision based on what you believe, but for me personally, I have to go with the Dare.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.