TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

LG BD550 Wireless to Stream Netflix

by chabanf / January 18, 2011 5:39 AM PST

I am trying to find a solution for this issue.
I got the LG BD550 which is Netflix ready but using Ethernet connection.

It is too far to access an Ethernet point from the Player and I have a Wireless network at Home using a Netgear WNDR3700 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router.

There is an USB 2.0 Port in the Player but I am not sure if this will work for a wireless adapter or is only for photos and video.

Could somebody help me to choose the best way to connect wireless ans stream Netflix please.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG BD550 Wireless to Stream Netflix
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG BD550 Wireless to Stream Netflix
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try a wireless bridge
by Pepe7 / January 18, 2011 11:35 PM PST

I would probably explore that avenue. Add a wireless bridge (preferably also netgear) close to the player, and connect from the wireless bridge via the ethernet port on the player. This will likely be a more robust solution, but no doubt will require some configuration.

p.20 of the manual mentions streaming services, FWIW.

"This player can be connected to a local area
network (LAN) via the LAN port on the rear
By connecting the unit to a broadband home
network, you have access to services such as
software updates, BD-LIVE interactivity and
streaming services."

p.46 will get you started on how to set up Netflix.

I'd encourage you to peruse AVS too to see what other folks have done w/ their networks.

Collapse -
(NT) Thank You. Great Idea..
by chabanf / January 19, 2011 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: Try a wireless bridge
Collapse -
Any Recommendation
by chabanf / January 19, 2011 4:20 AM PST

Thank you for your recommendation

Any suggestion on which to buy, so I can make my numbers, remember I will stream Netflix.
Thanks again

Collapse -
by chabanf / January 20, 2011 1:33 PM PST

Could you please give a recommendation on which wireless bridge to buy?
Thanks again

Collapse -
I think you are right,
by ahtoi / January 19, 2011 1:53 AM PST

it's probably for foto and video, and not for LAN. If this is in the same house or same power circuit, I probably try the powerline ethernet method (about $100 for a set).

Collapse -
Thank You
by chabanf / January 19, 2011 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: I think you are right,

I will compare the cost b/w the bridge and this option.
Thanks again.

Collapse -
Just curious
by Pepe7 / January 19, 2011 4:04 AM PST

What's you experience using this vs a bridge for streaming video, etc.?

Collapse -
by chabanf / January 19, 2011 4:21 AM PST

Is there any limits on the trasnmition from one point to other?

Could you give me a recommended model so I can compare numbers with the bridge price?

Thanks again

Collapse -
Not Wi-Fi capable
by 4TheWicked / January 20, 2011 6:12 PM PST

Unfortunately the LG BD550 does not have the ability to use a Wi-Fi dongle(adapter) to connect wirelessly to your router. The LG BD570 has a built in wireless adapter which works really well with Netflix streaming. When streaming movies or music, hardwiring is the best choice but sometimes cannot be done due wiring limitations. My best advice to you would be to return the BD550 and upgrade to the 570. It will save you the hassle and the money required to buy the bridge.

Collapse -
It doesn't need wifi
by Pepe7 / January 20, 2011 11:10 PM PST
In reply to: Not Wi-Fi capable

The BD550 connects to a wireless bridge via ethernet. The bridge connects via wifi to the router. Even though the BD550 doesn't suport a dongle, this is a workaround using ethernet per se.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.