LG forum

Question

LG 55LS5700 won't recognize MKV video files

by hrichbourg / June 26, 2012 11:54 PM PDT

I have a problem getting my LS5700 smart TV to recognize and list the .mkv video files on my Windows 7 (64-bit) computer. I know the TV is capable of listing and playing these files, because I also have a USB hdd attached to the TV, and when I select this input ("10EAVS External") from the TV's "input list", It shows me all the files (AVI, MPG, VOB, MKV...) on the hdd and plays them without a problem. But when I select the input labeled "Win7 PC" from the TV's "input list", I get a listing of all the video files in the "My Videos" folder on the computer EXCEPT the MKV files. I am using a NetGear N900 router, and the TV is connected to the network through a wired LAN outlet, so I don't think bandwidth is a problem.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I have spent countless hours searching the net, and used the online CHAT to talk to an LG tech, but got nowhere.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG 55LS5700 won't recognize MKV video files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG 55LS5700 won't recognize MKV video files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Absolutely proper. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2012 5:24 AM PDT

To start with MKV is not a format but a container. A bucket in which you can place videos of any encoding you can dream up into.

What I find is folk that want this to work but also do not want to know how it works or what a MKV is or what video encoding is.

They'll write they looked all over but the awful truth is that the explanation is technical and not one person or web site will convey the needed details to get a new to this person up to speed.
Bob

Collapse -
So, any suggestions?
by hrichbourg / June 27, 2012 9:15 PM PDT

No doubt this is a complex topic. I've not found anyone who seems to have a full understanding. I've found a couple of tech-support types who hit all around what the "problem" is-- like the LG Chat tech who told me there were certain codecs that the TV did not support, and that he would email me a list (nothing so far). However that doesn't solve the problem. Also, I have trouble accepting his explanation for one very simple reason: I can copy the video file to my USB hdd, hook it up to the TV, and use the USB "input" on the TV to view the MKV file (container, bucket, whatever name you'd like to give it) with no problems (so how can it be a codec problem?). But if I just put the file (container, bucket) in the My Videos folder on my computer and then use the "Win 7 PC input" on the TV, there is no evidence that there are ANY .mkv's in the folder... not only can I not "play" the movie, it doesn't even show up. All my "share" settings must be correct, since I can "see" the AVIs, MPGs, etc... just not MKVs.

So, thanks for your comments, and I agree with you regarding lack of a comprehensive website and/or expert. Now, do you have any suggestions? I don't need a complete education on MKV (althought I would welcome it if you have any websites, etc.)... I'd just like to know what the heck the problem is and learn how to view the MKV movies directly from my computer without having to go through copying them to the external hdd, etc.

Thanks in advance to you or anyone else who can help.

Collapse -
The complete explanation I use for MKV is "a bucket"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2012 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: So, any suggestions?

You can put almost any media into a MKV in almost any encoding.

Since this TV does not understand the encoding in the content that is in the MKV, it does not play. So be sure to understand that there is usually no issue with MKV support because that's just a bucket of content. Now that we know this we can understand that to play what's in the MKV we have to be sure the encoding is supported.

This means you, like thousands of others will have to either get the content in compatible files or learn how to re-encode the content on your PC or Apple computer.

About that CODEC. This HDTV is not a PC so there is no support to add such to the TV,
Bob

Collapse -
Last try
by hrichbourg / June 29, 2012 11:37 PM PDT

Okay, I'm not trying to be redundant, but I don't think you completely follow the issue. In your reply, you said "...this TV does not understand the encoding..." but if you follow the two cases below, I think you'll see that the TV DOES understand the encoding, at least in one case.

Case 1. I copy a video clip, let's call it "clip.mkv" from the My Videos folder on my Win7-PC, to a USB thumb drive and plug the drive into the LG TV's "USB-1" port. I then navigate on the tv screen to select the USB input and I see a "video folder." When I click on the "video folder" on the TV screen, I see the video called "clip.mkv." When I click on "clip.mkv", the movie plays on the tv screen-- video and audio-- no problem... beginning to end. So, to state the obvious, the TV is able to decode and play the clip in the mkv bucket.

Case 2. I access the "My Videos" folder on my Win7-PC by selecting the corresponding "Win7-PC input" on the LG TV. There, I see a listing of all the video clips in the My Vidoes folder, including AVI, WMV, MPG, MP4, etc., but I DO NOT see in the listing is the video titled "clip.mkv". (Remember, this is the identical file to the one on the USB thumb drive.) And believe me when I say, "clip.mkv" is most certainly in the My Videos folder on the computer.

So here's my confusion-- Why can the TV "see" and "play" the clip in the MKV bucket when it's on a USB thumb drive plugged into it, but can't even "see" the clip in the MKV bucket when it's on the computer? Obviously, something is getting lost between the computer and the TV (over the hard-wired Ethernet connection). The only thing I can figure is that the TV handles the USB input differently from how it handles the network connection.
I know how to re-encode clips, and I can certainly do this, even though it's generally time-consuming (esp. for very large files). However, this is such an intriguing situation that I'd simply like to find an explanation.

I'm not the kind to beat a dead horse, but I'd really like to know if anyone else has had a similar experience, and has hopefully solved the problem. Thanks again for listening.

Collapse -
THAT is another issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2012 12:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Last try

Over the network less encoding methods are supported.

That drives owners crazy and you'll find folk write just like you because they know the TV can decode the file.

-> It's a well discussed issue and it's only slightly differ from content that does play. There is no fix and so far the cause seems to be copyrights and patents. To enable such encoding to be played there are patents and royalties to pay so the makers opt for a lower cost set.

This again is something folk can't grasp at times.

And I'm being redundant here as that discussion has been had many times.

Sorry about the mess but I didn't create it.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks...
by hrichbourg / June 30, 2012 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: THAT is another issue.

Okay, that's an explanation that makes sense. I guess they should call the TV a semi-Smart TV, eh?

Thanks for hanging in there and explaining...

Collapse -
Or "sometimes Smart TV"!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2012 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks...

If you want to see similar complaints you can find them here in these forums and AVSFORUM as well. Sorry I didn't understand your issue up top.
Bob

Collapse -
same problem...
by iamreadytodo / June 13, 2013 8:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Last try

I too have a same problem but i am able to play mkv format video through wif-idirect from my galaxy s3 on to my lg tv.

Collapse -
Good to read you have a solution.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2013 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem...

The issue is well discussed and for now, I suggest folk learn more about encoding, containers and such.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
check this out
by kenkenes / January 19, 2013 9:26 PM PST

I have found a solution to that...a solution i wouldn't have thought about, because a bit stupid...but guess you what, i worked for me...i hope it will work for you too...here's the solution...don't laugh please : just change the extension from .mkv to .avi ...
please let me know if it works for you too...Good luck!

Collapse -
Answer
It's a Windows Media problem, not a LG problem
by 2w6pk97h8f / January 25, 2014 3:20 PM PST

I had the same problem, and I finally fixed it.

When you connect through DLNA from the TV to the Windows PC, you're connecting to the "Windows Media Streaming" service. It's basically Windows Media Player. So any file Windows Media Player can understand, you can stream via this service.

Contrary to R Proffitt's comments, the TV doesn't need a complex codec -- it uses a simple in-built codec to receive, decode, and display the stream from Windows Media Player. Meaning, the TV can stream files, even though the TV doesn't have a codec.

Potential Problems:
1. Windows Media Codec. Download and install the K-Lite Codec Pack (Basic), and install it with the default options (MINUS THE "OPTIONAL" CRAPWARE AT THE END -- PLEASE, DEVELOPERS, WE DON'T WANT CRAPWARE)

http://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

The K-Lite codec pack adds VLC-like functionality to Windows Media Player, and includes mkv as well as flv support (including the necessary H.263/264 codecs inside the file container).

2. Library. This is the most obtuse thing ever invented. You can't see video files unless they are in your library under "videos". If you add an unsupported file to your library, it appears under "Other Media Files", and good luck, it's permanently mis-filed forever, and you will never be able to stream it. AFTER K-Lite is installed, drag the folder containing your movies to the "Videos" library in Windows Media Player (not explorer, Media Player).

3. Play the video(s) locally using Windows Media Player. If they show up in Library under Videos, AND it plays in WMP, it should stream just fine through the "DLNA" input on the TV.

Collapse -
A couple more pieces of info
by 2w6pk97h8f / January 25, 2014 3:26 PM PST

1. Very good article on WMP streaming:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/12/media-streaming-with-windows-7.aspx

2. You can verify if you have another PC -- the problem exists even for other PCs. Go to Windows Media Player and go to "Other libraries", then select the Videos library on PC#1. You should see the exact same list that you see on the LG TV. If R. Proffitt had slowed down a little, the clue is that you CAN play the files via USB but NOT via DLNA input. I stumbled on this, which got me to thinking it's a file type / homegroup problem, NOT a LG / file problem.

Collapse -
That's called something else.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2014 12:23 AM PST

For example that's a Transcoding Media Server. The TVs only can understand some encoding and by adding these codecs to the PC you can often get the server to transcode on the fly as needed.

-> You bring up a great point. Why aren't the makers detailing how to do this?
Bob

PS. This thread is more than 578 days old. You should find more current discussions as old discussions will be out of date.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.