by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / September 14, 2012 2:45 AM PDT

Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/lg-47lm7600/4505-6482_7-35117974.html

Related products:
LG 55LM7600

Calibration report using these settings:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/105928203/LG-47LM7600-CNET-review-calibration-results

TV software/firmware version tested: 04.02.85

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the LG 47LM7600 in a dim room via the HDMI input. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes: Much like the LM6700, the LM7600's most accurate setting was Cinema prior to calibration, but that's not saying much. It was quite dark at about 24 Fl and very minus-blue. I took advantage of the Expert settings for my calibration, boosting light output to my standard 40Fl. Among the three local dimming settings I settled on High because it improved black levels significantly compared to Off.

My calibration of this TV was a bit more successful.than it was for the LM7600. LG's color management system was still less than ideal, plagued in particular by shifting luminance at the reference 75 IRE level and in green, but overall it improved color quite a bit.

Grayscale calibration was more problematic. Adjusting just the two-point system, the high and low settings interacted to such a degree that they basically just behaved like one control--an issue I also saw on the LM6700. The twenty-point system was broken too. In all but the darkest sections of the scale (15, 10 and 5 IRE) I had to crank the controls way up or way down to achieve a measurable change, some controls at some levels seemed simply ineffective and again there was too much interaction from one level to the next. That said I was able to salvage the lower end of the scale using those three controls. I ended up with a decent grayscale, although it was still pretty uneven, and still minus-blue at the top end.

Picture menu:
Energy Saving: Off
Picture Mode: Expert [1 or 2]
Backlight: 57
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 50
H Sharpness: 0
V Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Aspect Ratio: Just Scan

--Expert control menu--
Dynamic contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: BT709
Edge Enhancer: Off
xvYCC: Off [grayed out]
Color Filter: Off
Expert Pattern: Off [grayed out]
Gamma: 2.2

--White Balance submenu--
Color Temperature: Warm
Method: 2-points [also adjust 20-point; see below]
Pattern: Outer
Red: 20
Green: 20
Blue: 0
Red: 0
Green: 0
Blue: 38

Method: 2-points
[IRE 20 and higher: no adjustment]
15 IRE: Red 7, Green 2, Blue -10
10 IRE: Red 10, Green 10, Blue -6
5 IRE: Red 0, Green 0, Blue -30

--Color management system submenu--
Red: [Saturation -6. Tint 5, Luminance 17]
Green: [Saturation -10. Tint 8, Luminance 4]
Blue: [Saturation 8, Tint 0, Luminance 5]
Cyan: [Saturation 0. Tint 5, Luminance 5]
Magenta: [Saturation 0. Tint -1, Luminance 4]
Yellow: [Saturation -10. Tint 1, Luminance -2]

--Picture Option menu--
Noise reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On
Eye Care: Off [grayed out]
LED Local Dimming: High
TruMotion: Off

Note: This post was edited by its original author added link to calibration report on 09/14/2012 at 9:51 AM PT

Note: This post was edited by its original author replaced broken Bit.ly URL under Calibration report to full scribd URL on 09/25/2012 at 7:20 AM PT

Note: This post was edited by its original author Corrected explanation and transposed settings in 2-point calibration; 2 point now correct on 09/26/2012 at 6:40 AM PT

Note: This post was edited by its original author corrected typo in Color management system section on 10/09/2012 at 9:11 AM PT

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG 47LM7600 picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG 47LM7600 picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks for the catch
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / October 9, 2012 2:12 AM PDT

The last row in the color management system section should have read "Yellow" all along. It's correct now.

Collapse -
questions
by lrybts / January 1, 2013 11:08 PM PST

Hi I recently bought the 47lm7600 and when I tried to use your settings I did fine until I got to cinema setting which was locked and also black setting locked on auto.
Any way to work around this? Also is there anything I can do about the hot spot in the top left corner, or do I just have to live with it or exchange for a different model?

Collapse -
Hi!!
by JADURCA / January 2, 2013 2:08 AM PST
In reply to: questions

I think that you need to connect your device with a HDMI connection in order to those settings work!!

Collapse -
Hi!!
by lrybts / January 2, 2013 9:13 AM PST
In reply to: Hi!!

Thanks,

I noticed I can change the "real cinema" setting with coax signal but not the "black level" setting and the opposite is true with the HDMI signal.

Thanks for the tip.

Collapse -
:)
by JADURCA / January 2, 2013 5:50 PM PST
In reply to: Hi!!

Are you using the 3D function? If yes, just let me know to give you a few tips!!!

Collapse -
streaming
by lrybts / January 13, 2013 10:42 AM PST
In reply to: :)

I noticed that settings changed for streaming movies. Anyway to keep the other settings when streaming?

Collapse -
60LM7200
by RajCanada / January 5, 2013 11:37 PM PST

I have applied your settings to captioned model but I am still missing the sharpness of color and picture. I am HD sources such as blue ray, HD cable PVR, etc using high quality HDMI cables. In picture option, real cinema is greyed out.
Please help.

Collapse -
Hi RajCanada!
by JADURCA / January 6, 2013 3:55 PM PST
In reply to: 60LM7200

It happened to me too! I applied every setting and the picture still too soft for me. Just increase The H. Sharpness and V. Sharpness to 30. I you prefer a more vivid picture like me, just increase the Color to 65. Finally, I also don't like the reddish picture so I changed the Color Temperature to Medium.

I think that Real Cinema is a feature that only work when it detects movie material. But I'm not sure.

Collapse -
60LM7200
by RajCanada / January 7, 2013 10:16 AM PST
In reply to: Hi RajCanada!

Hi Jadurca

Looks good with sharpness and color adjustment.

I have also order wow Disney calibration bluray. But I am quite satisfied now.

Raj

Collapse -
Great Picture Settings
by JADURCA / January 8, 2013 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: 60LM7200

CNET picture settings are great!!! But I think that most people prefer a sharped image. I forgot to mention that you can adjust the Edge Enhancer to Low. Try it! It will look better!

3D Settings

If you are like me, that love to see 3D movies, then you would like to adjust the H Sharpness to 50, V Sharpness to 0. That way you will have a sharpener 3D image with less artifacts (moving lines) in the 3D picture. Also don't forget to increase the Color to 80 and don't worry about settings, the LG will save each settings independently for 3D and normal picture viewing. Now your done, enjoy!! Happy

Collapse -
Thanks for the posting the calibration settings, but...
by pworam / January 16, 2013 10:45 PM PST

I was curious what is used as a benchmark when calibrating a TV, or whether or not any calibration tools are used. My observations are that the calibration settings used above heavily favored reds, were soft in the sharpness department, and pretty dim as far as overall image brightness. But that was only using my eye/direct visual observations.

I've been messing around with the settings on my 7600 for a few weeks and consistently find that I get the best picture using a modified version of the basic 'vivid' setting under one of the expert settings. I roll back the backlight, contrast and brightness a bit, but keep the "cool" color setting and roll the color temp down to near neutral. I have a few other tweaks that I use, but those pertain mostly to black levels and very small color accuracy tweaks. Using my settings, I get a nice bright picture with whites that are actually white, while retaining what I feel are fairly accurate colors and black levels. My observations have been that the warm color setting too heavily favors reds and yellows, while medium lacks punch, favors errant greens and tends make whites too gray.

I transpose these settings to 3d settings, allowing for a few adjustments to neutralize the effects of the 3d glasses.

Collapse -
re: greyed out boxes
by pworam / March 12, 2013 10:08 AM PDT

Hi - make sure you're using Expert 1 or Expert 2 as the picture setting. All of the advanced stuff is done under the Expert settings.

Collapse -
greyed out boxes
by iamtompowers / March 12, 2013 4:26 AM PDT

I tried the calibration above but several boxes were greyed out (aspect ratio: just scan, edge enhancer is fixed at high, black level is fixed at auto, LED local dimming is fixed at off)

How do I get this to work as listed in the calibration above?

Collapse -
greyed out boxes
by pworam / March 12, 2013 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: greyed out boxes

Hi - make sure you're using Expert 1 or Expert 2 as the picture setting. All of the advanced stuff is done under the Expert settings.

Collapse -
greyed out boxes
by iamtompowers / March 13, 2013 12:22 AM PDT

It is on the expert 1.

Collapse -
re: greyed out boxes
by pworam / March 13, 2013 2:26 AM PDT

Don't know what to tell you. Those settings might have been under a different firmware version. I wouldn't get too hung up on it. I didn't like those settings myself. My advice is to find a setting you're happy with, then transpose it into the other settings, keeping in mind that every picture mode has it's own set of 3D picture settings too. I set Expert 1 as a one size fits all approach for all my devices (ext. hdd videos, cable, PS3, Wii-U, etc...) in terms of color preference, saturation, brightness, picture and settings. I'll usually switch to the game picture setting to cut down on lag when playing games, but I transpose basically identical picture settings that I use in Expert 1. I use the same basic settings for the 3D picture settings under each profile, but tweak the saturation, color temp, backlight, picture, contrast and sharpness as close to the glasses-free settings as possible. Hope that helps.

Collapse -
Question
by Anthony310n / September 23, 2013 3:40 PM PDT

What are the best game settings for a bright and clear picture?

Collapse -
3d settings
by LeonheartHN / February 15, 2014 12:14 PM PST
In reply to: Question

I also would like to know this and also for 3D viewing, thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.