LG forum

Alert

LG 3D TV HELP!! not support audio for .mkv videos

by MXMaximas / December 20, 2011 10:21 AM PST

I tried playing a .mkv video on my LG 3D tv through the usb, but an error came up saying "unsupported audio." The video comes out great, but the sound does not come out at all. Also the subtitle does not come out when played on the TV, but comes out when played on the PC.

I tried the converting with audio from DTS to mp3/mpeg but the quality of the video dropped immensely even though I chose not to change to mkv format. I used the freemake video converter program.

Is there a way to convert just the audio and not the video quality? I've updated the TV with the latest firmware also but no luck.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LG 3D TV HELP!! not support audio for .mkv videos
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LG 3D TV HELP!! not support audio for .mkv videos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's start at the beginning.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2011 10:31 AM PST

This video is from what DVD and why not start with your source media rather than lose the quality?

Also, this same story has been repeated far too many times. That is, a HDTV is not a PC. The encoding support is limited.
Bob

Collapse -
Okay
by MXMaximas / December 20, 2011 5:01 PM PST

Well I could play this in a blueray player or even hook my hdmi from the computer to play. However my goal is to not only play the movie in the SBS 3D format, but also be able to show the subtitles as well.

Collapse -
I forgot to add a software title.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2011 12:43 AM PST
In reply to: Okay

Look up AVIDEMUX. Sorry I can't write a tutorial in my replies but there are such on the internet.

-> You write the other files work fine. That's good. Now create your new files using the same encoding and methods. In simple terms "Use what works."
Bob

Collapse -
re: LG 3D TV HELP!! not support audio for .mkv videos
by cnetglow / December 26, 2011 4:35 PM PST

Use freemake audio converter to convert the audio to AAC.
Then drag and drop the orginal mkv and the new aac into mkmergeGUI, uncheck the original DTS audio and make a new mkv.

Collapse -
THank YOU!
by MXMaximas / January 3, 2012 3:04 AM PST

Your method actually worked! thank you so much!

I was also wondering how to have subtitles be read with its mkv videos on the LG 3D TV. Videos in avi or any other common videos formats with their respective subtitle files (subtitle file with the same name as the video) seem to all work on the TV except for the mkv videos ( and its respective subtitle file). The subtitles files for avi and etc are in (.smi) but the subtitles that are for the mkv end with (.sub).

I apologize if my writing is confusing and hope that this situation can be solved like my previous one Grin

Collapse -
LG TV Subtitles
by cnetglow / January 3, 2012 4:03 PM PST
In reply to: THank YOU!

According to the manual
Supported subtitle format(external) :*.smi, *.srt, *.sub(MicroDVD, SubView1.0/2.0), *.***, *ssa, *.txt(TMPlayer),*.psb(PowerDivX)y

Supported subtitle format(internal) :XSUB(Only, XSUB is the subtitle for-mat used in DivX files), Text UTF- 8,SRT,***,SSA(Only, this is the subtitleformat used in DivX-Plus HD files)

Personally I just try to stick with .SRT format subtitles because my PVR and my LG TV can use them and they are just text files which can be edited. For mkv files these can be external files with the same name as the video but with a .SRT extension or they can be inside the MKV file.

If you can't get your .SUB to work and it can't be converted, just try searching for a .SRT version.

Collapse -
How convert subtitle file?
by MXMaximas / January 5, 2012 12:43 AM PST
In reply to: LG TV Subtitles

So is there a way to convert subtitles files from .sub to .srt or etc? Thanks for the help appreciate it!

Collapse -
help
by pande985 / February 4, 2013 6:51 AM PST

please explain what did you mean by uncheck the original DTS

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.