by madvideos / December 15, 2006 2:30 PM PST

If this is not the correct place for this post please remove, I apologize but

could not see a better place for it.
Hello, My name is Billy B.
I would like to share my recent experience I have had with
Back in September it was time for some new phones for me and my wife. So I

looked around online and seen had a great deal, free phones with a

2 year contract, no one else had such a deal that I had seen so I jumped right

in (like a FOOL!) Sure enough, got 2 free phones in 4 days through the mail, The

first problem: The phone numbers were in the wrong exchange, ok no biggie so I

called and explained the problem, the associate could not figure

out what exchange I needed, that was strange, so she got someone from Cingular

on the phone with us in a 3 way call, even stranger the Cingular tech could not

figure it out either, so the 2 told me I would have to go to the local Cingular

store to get a number and sim card, ok, no big deal, I did and all was fine,

cell phone worked great. Then my wife decided she wanted to take advantage of

the 30 day return policy and get a different phone, so we sent the phone in and

got the one she wanted, several days later without warning my bank account was

hit with a $50.00 fee for exchanging the phones, this concerned me but I guess I

overlooked some small scam in their TOS. Well here we are 4 months later, I

looked at my bank account this morning and $150.00 gone, and guess who took it..

that's right .., I called them and asked what in the world was

going on, they said because I got a new phone number I breached their TOS and

they did not receive their commision from Cingular therefore I had to pay it.. I

was completely baffled by this, They told me to go get a new number, what was I

suppose to do, use a cellphone that was long distance where I lived? Well

talking to them got me nowhere and they refused to put that money back in to my

account. I filed complaints with the BBB, FTC and called my bank and cancelled

my debit card so they could not steal any more money from me, this was the

second time they just took with no warning or authorisation. I called Cingular

and explained this situation and they were quite surprised and said they would

try to help me out, but we shall see if that helps at all.
The moral of this story is be weary of too good to be true deals folks, this was

a nightmare I never want to go through again. have stolen a grand

total of $200.00 from my bank account, so much for the so called free phones eh.
Once these people get your account number you are in trouble, and even though the phones are free,
you will still have to give them your credit card or debit card info, I guess I should
have thought about why.. now I know!!
Buyer Beware.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buyer Beware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buyer Beware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by sivela623 / November 22, 2008 7:53 AM PST

I also want to share my experience with, I was also drawn in by the free phones deal they had I go sign up for the phones so I get the phones and problem #1..I get the phones all with the incorrect # ported to them...second the phones I ordered were wrong they sent me phones I had not ordered so I call them up the,rude customer person, Toni, who answered the phone states that I can exchange the phones but since the phones I want are no longer free on the promotion then I would have to pay for them, and then he proceeded to inform the phones I wanted were never free for the 3rd line I wanted...I assured him I had been to their web site that morning and the phones were indeed free...He told me I didn't know what I was talking and that if I wanted to the other phones I would have to pay $150 for them...I went online again and placed another order and called them again....the representative on the phone insisted that I was wrong i told her to place a dummy order...15 minutes she comes on the line to tell me that it is a computer mistake and that it shows that all 3 phones are free but that should not be the case since the 3rd phone should be $150 I proceed to tell her that is not my fault and that I should get the phone for free as they are advertised on their web site....she proceeds to tell me that she is going to need to forward this to her IT dept and her Supervisors so they can look into it and see if I can or cannot get the phones for free...I am waiting for their response

Collapse -
by bchiu18 / December 27, 2008 2:29 AM PST

I also bought a phone from with a two year contract because they had $150 dollar rebate and the price was the cheapest i've seen. MY MISTAKE!!. After sending in all my necessary paperwork to receive my rebate, they now say they dont have it. I've checked online and they gave me a date to when the rebate was going to be sent out, i've also checked to see if they received it and if all the paperwork was correct. They said yes. After a few months of checking online and on the phone with customer service they tell me I have to refax my paperwork again. This website is horrible!!! The deals are all scams. If you dont take my word for it, try for yourself and be seriously disappointed. Never again will go back to these crooks.

Collapse -
Beware Letstalk
by dalmason / August 12, 2010 9:31 AM PDT

Buyer beware Letstalk is correct. I received a free phone from Letstalk 3 years ago, with a $50 rebate to boot. Everything was fine, including a fast 2 day shipping. Well apparently they are no longer the same company.

After 3 years of good service my phone went dead so I signed a new Sprint/Nextell 2 year contract online from Letstalk, ordered my free phone that comes with the $69 upgrade, paid for 2 day shipping, received confirmation and waited. The second day I receive an email telling me there is a problem.

Dear walter,

Your wireless order with Search (widget/landing page testing) requires your immediate attention. Please visit to review the information and options available to you. Thank you for your prompt attention.

Sincerely, Search (widget/landing page testing) Customer Service

Im thinking who is "search (widget/landing page testing)? I borrow a phone and the lady tells me I cannot keep the same number and the phone casts $200 because its a prepaid account. I said its NOT prepaid. I am signing a new 2 yr contract. After putting me on hold, she said it not free with an upgrade. I said you should fix the website. After arguing I told her to cancel the order.

I called back to talk to someone else. This lady tells me the phone (Motorola) is owned by Boost. (I have no idea who boost is). I ordered a Motorola phone with Nextell/Sprint 2 year contract. She keeps insisting that the Motorola phone is owned by Boost and its not free. What a bunch of extremely incompetant workers! Its unbelievable. Lucky for me I was able to cancel the order.

Collapse -
Don't ever do service with LETSTALK.COM
by SyLin21 / December 10, 2010 12:38 AM PST

I had unauthorized charges of $500 and I tried called both the company and the bank. Both have refused to help me saying that they cannot do anything because they didn't get their moneys from Tmobile. I moved to an area with no service and Tmobile is unavailable therefore, I had to cancel my service. Tmobile was kind enough to waive the cancellation charges however, Letstalk refuses to let this go. I was not charged $500 until 4 months later. Why had no one said anything prior to this if they had a problem with it? How can you use someones debit card without their knowledge of it? Isn't this fraud? I don't care what you say about contracts but this is stealing money from your wallets.

Collapse -
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 10, 2010 4:04 AM PST

Unfortunately, Let's Talk has a provision in their contract (not from T-mobile's contract) that they can charge you a penalty if your plan/features (or canceled) within 6 months. T-mobile didn't impose the fee and they will not be liable for charging it. You would have to fight it w/ Let's Talk.

Yes, I agree that Let's Talk is a scam and I am not excusing them. Unfortunately, that was in your origninal contract with them and it doesn't matter how long it took them to apply the charge since they did disclose it previously in the paperwork.

Collapse -
Let's talk Rip off!
by SyLin21 / December 10, 2010 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: explanation

Birdmantd: I know that already I'm not complaining about tmobile. This complaint is with let's talk. What you don't understand is that there is no tmobile carrier in this city nothing within 150 miles. You don't think it's absurd for me to have to pay for cell phone service I can't use?

Collapse -
I understand
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 10, 2010 5:53 AM PST
In reply to: Let's talk Rip off!

I got that from your original post, but Let's Talk doesn't care if there is no coverage, even if T-mobile did not charge you an ETF.

Bottom line is that Let's Talk has their own additional contract that does not allow for any reduction of plan/features or account cancellation during the first 6 months and they do not allow for any special circumstances (even if beyond your control). I am not agreeing w/ their additional contracts and I have never liked their (or any other internet re-seller's) policies. I only offered any explanation.

Personally, I would raise holy h**l with Let's Talk and try to fight it further. As I stated early, T-mobile cannot assist you further. I wish you best of luck and hate to hear such horror stories about these on-line crooks.

Collapse -
one more thought
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 10, 2010 5:56 AM PST
In reply to: Let's talk Rip off!

The only suggestion I could think of is that you could have had a friend or family member use your old phone and mobile # in an area that did have coverage (and left the account in your name) to have avoided their penalty. But probably too late now.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.