Speakeasy forum

Praise

Let's talk.

by JP Bill / February 18, 2013 4:57 AM PST
Tea Party Plans to Launch its Own Latino Outreach

The Tea Party group that sponsored a prime-time response last week to President Obama's State of the Union address is the latest group recognizing the power of the Latino vote.

Officials with the Tea Party Express, the nation's largest Tea Party political action committee, have been discussing their own Latino outreach, said Sal Russo, the group's co-founder.

"We've been trying to do a bus tour that would focus on communities that we don't normally talk to," Russo said.

"He believed in going to labor unions, going to places where you don't normally go,

underlining is mine.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Let's talk.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Let's talk.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Slumming?
by Diana Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: Let's talk.
Collapse -
(NT) Sucking Up?
by JP Bill / February 18, 2013 5:39 AM PST
In reply to: Slumming?
Collapse -
Sucking up? Or
by TONI H / February 18, 2013 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: Sucking Up?

taking the advice of other Conservatives that since the Latinos have the same family values as Conservatives, more of an effort has to be made to reach out to them and let them know that Conservatives/Republicans respect that and that their vote doesn't have to automatically be taken for granted anymore by Democrat/liberals?

Collapse -
RE: that their vote
by JP Bill / February 18, 2013 11:16 AM PST
In reply to: Sucking up? Or
that their vote doesn't have to automatically be taken for granted anymore by Democrat/liberals?

AND/OR

Conservative/Republicans can't win without the Latino vote?

Sucking up?...Well Yeah...We want your vote.
Collapse -
By contrast
by TONI H / February 18, 2013 7:46 PM PST
In reply to: RE: that their vote

the Dems have been sucking up to Latinos and Blacks since forever.......mostly by buying their votes. Since most blacks and Latinos have a family value system more in tune with Republicans/Conservatives, the ONLY way Dems could win their votes was to give them the freebies that Reps wouldn't.

Collapse -
RE: was to give them the freebies that Reps wouldn't.
by JP Bill / February 18, 2013 7:48 PM PST
In reply to: By contrast

"Give" them freebies that Reps wouldn't?

I am under the impression that Reps didn't even "see" Latinos.

Collapse -
Republicans saw Latinos
by TONI H / February 18, 2013 9:03 PM PST

...the LEGAL ones....unfortunately, too many of the legal Latinos saw many of the illegal ones as poor migrants wanting the same lifestyle that they had and sympathized with their plight so when Republicans were supporting deportation and enforcing laws to send them back home, it became a sore point with legal Latinos that Dems fed on....so much so that Dems starting giving the illegals more and more freebies to keep them loyal.

Much has changed within the Latino communities recently though.....they are fine with allowing the illegal migrants to have a form of 'amnesty' that Republicans are now supporting, but are adamant about making sure that the borders are secure from the illegal cartels that are now infiltrating their neighborhoods and cities. They have come to realize that an open border policy is harming their own lives and only the Republicans are pushing for border security. They also realize that closing off the border to keep the cartels and terrorists out will also close the door for the illegal immigrants, and they seem to be okay with that, too. Even they finally realize that enough is enough and they are open to hearing the Republicans' side of this debate.

Collapse -
Then the Reps will have no problem winning the next election
by JP Bill / February 18, 2013 11:13 PM PST

and you'll be happier than a pig in poop.

Collapse -
Slumming? By going into
by TONI H / February 18, 2013 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: Slumming?

Latino communities and taking the Conservative message to them finally? Do you really think that reaching out to Latinos is 'slumming'? If that's what liberals/Democrats really think of Latinos, it's about time Conservatives made them aware of that, doncha think?

Collapse -
(NT) I was thinking of their concept.
by Diana Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 7:44 AM PST
Collapse -
Speaking of going to places where you don't normally go.
by Steven Haninger / February 18, 2013 8:52 AM PST
Collapse -
Were they booing Romney or what he said?
by JP Bill / February 18, 2013 11:25 AM PST
The black audience members rained boos on Romney three times during his speech -- first when he said he'd repeal the health law, once when he said Obama's record proves he hasn't done enough on the economy and other matters, and once when he told them that he would be a president who makes the lives of African-Americans better.

He said something they didn't agree with and they booed him.....

Tara Wall, a policy adviser to Romney, argued to reporters after the speech that Romney "received more applause than boos," including a standing ovation when the speech ended.

They booed him THEN they gave him a standing O.

THAT'S why he went there...For the Standing O.
Collapse -
Crowd reaction isn't the point.
by Steven Haninger / February 18, 2013 6:07 PM PST

It's that he went where he knew he wasn't going to be welcomed with open arms. Romney didn't change his message or language to suit his audience. His rival was known to do otherwise.

Collapse -
RE: Romney didn't change his message
by JP Bill / February 18, 2013 7:17 PM PST

Romney didn't change his message or language to suit his audience.

He didn't?

Here's a riddle for you

Name one thing Romney said twice.

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what ... who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims. ... These are people who pay no income tax. ... and so my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives," Romney said.

Collapse -
(NT) And he was proved right
by TONI H / February 18, 2013 7:48 PM PST
Collapse -
RE: And he was proved right
by JP Bill / February 18, 2013 7:57 PM PST

No doubt...He's the author of his own misfortune.

What a defeatist attitude.

Alright, I'll run, BUT I'll never win, You talked me into it, The other guy will win, I'm a loser.

Collapse -
Since you continue to diverge from the subject
by Steven Haninger / February 18, 2013 7:55 PM PST

of Romney's willingness to go into known hostile territory, I'll ignore your riddle.

Collapse -
PS
by JP Bill / February 18, 2013 8:28 PM PST
In reply to: He went there...

Romney did escape without physical injury. Even though he was in hostile enemy territory.

Collapse -
"They told him what they wanted to hear..."
by Steven Haninger / February 18, 2013 10:03 PM PST
In reply to: He went there...

and if he didn't do what they wanted, he'd not be welcome?...suffer consequences? We have a name for that kind of threat. So maybe Romney could have lied and changed his tune just for a few moments...and, of course, you'd not have called him for flip-flopping if he did. In any event, going into "enemy territory" isn't without precedent. It was done this past campaign season...no denying it.

Collapse -
It's pretty hard
by JP Bill / February 18, 2013 11:33 PM PST

not to go into enemy territory when you consider 47% of the people "enemy".

IF McCain hadn't gone in 2008 and other Republicans hadn't in previous years it would have been easier to back out....However IF he did...he would have looked weak.

President Bush acknowledged persistent racism in America and lamented the Republican Party's bumpy relations with black voters as he addressed the NAACP's annual convention Thursday for the first time in his presidency.

"I understand that racism still lingers in America," Bush told the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. "It's a lot easier to change a law than to change a human heart. And I understand that many African-Americans distrust my political party."

That line generated boisterous applause and cheers from the thousands in the audience, which generally gave the president a polite, reserved reception.

"I consider it a tragedy that the party of Abraham Lincoln let go of its historical ties with the African-American community," Bush said. "For too long, my party wrote off the African-American vote, and many African-Americans wrote off the Republican Party."

6 years later the Reps spring into action and enter the lions den. For what, we don't know, other than to show Romney doesn't flip flop.

THEY have more to lose than YOU, what's YOUR problem admitting it.

Collapse -
The fact that these are communities....
by Josh K / February 18, 2013 11:15 PM PST

.....they "don't normally talk to" is kinda the problem, isn't it.

They shouldn't have to launch a bus tour or a campaign to "reach out" to people they should be able to reach easily with their messages, if those messages are so inclusive.

Collapse -
And if you have one group that wants more taxes
by Steven Haninger / February 18, 2013 11:40 PM PST

and more from government and another that wants less taxation and less government, I'd want to hear what you'd say that would appease both and I'd want to see you stand between both crowds at the same time and deliver that message. I'd suggest dressing properly for the occasion...maybe whatever you want to be buried in. Wink

Collapse -
Cubans are already there
by James Denison / February 19, 2013 1:10 AM PST

Very conservative on economic issues and most favor no gun control.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.