Phones forum

Less is More for Me

by mijcar / June 19, 2013 2:41 AM PDT

I'm really tired of carrying my iPhone 5s around. It's heavy. It's clunky. It takes up valuable space.

I want a good, lighter, smaller phone.
I want to hear the conversation.
I want to be able to read text, but I certainly don't need the screen-size of an iPhone.
I like apps, of course: Notes, Calendar/reminders.
A simple camera is nice; videos are unimportant to me.
Voice control is nice, but not essential.
Speaker for hands-free use is vital.

But I'm not a gamer and I don't plan on watching videos on my device. I don't need Facetime type apps.

My feeling is that all the pads and notebooks out there can deal with the needs that fit their size and that phones now should be getting smaller and not trying to cross into iPad-like territory.

So here's my first question. Are there good cellphones that actually fit my needs?

And my second question: Am I alone in this configuration? Or are there others who pretty much want the same thing?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Less is More for Me
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Less is More for Me
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I have to answer no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2013 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Less is More for Me

Since there are some hundred phones at the usual places then the answer must be no. There is no phone for you today. I get by with a simpler android phone but it works for me so for me, most phones are great.

In your case, and with so many phones out, there's something odd as you didn't find a phone you wanted.

Collapse -
I think you're a bit confused.
by mijcar / June 19, 2013 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: I have to answer no.

I asked a question. I'm looking for recommendations. As you said, there are many phones out there. I can't check them all out. That would involve using a phone for weeks, months. What I have seen so far are either phones that are way too big and clunky as to obviously big of no use or small and extremely limited -- for example, texts can only be read a line or two at a time.

No one seems to promote a phone for its versatile smallness. Phones are boasted about based on size and power. Small phones are barely talked about, treated like black sheep of the family.

There is something odd here; and it's why you chose to interpret my question as you did. Would you mind actually telling me which android you settled upon and in what way it works for you?

Collapse -
Not at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2013 6:01 AM PDT

You want a very specific feature set and size. And you want others to pick it out then it appears you may take them to task if you are unhappy. That's why I replied there is no phone for you today.

I have the simple Virgin Mobile Kyocera offered phone. It was under 70 bucks and it works for me because I pay 35 a month and it's a current 4.x Android, plus it works at the office where we are working on our apps.

The battery time is 4 times better than my last HTC android so bonus points if I forget to plug it in for a few days.

-> Apps. Well, the android phones I use allow me to add or disable any app so when folk gripe about apps I nod, smile and wonder why they complained. These are highly customizable and well, I wonder what the issue is.

Collapse -
I Don't Blame Others For My Choices
by mijcar / June 19, 2013 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Not at all.

Thank you, Bob, for your contribution.

I described what I am looking for because a) that makes it easy for someone else to say "yes, that's what I was looking for and found," and b) I think there is a large market out there that companies and reviewers are virtually ignoring.

You've given me some information I might be able to use.

Thanks again,

Collapse -
Might help
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 19, 2013 6:22 AM PDT

.....if you let us know which cellular carrier you want to use the phone with. Hard to recommend a specific phone without that information. Hopefully you will get more feedback after that.

I can also suggest you use the phone finder tool on It allows you to select features of the phone that you want and narrows down a list for your cellular carrier. Good luck.

Collapse -
by mijcar / June 19, 2013 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Might help

Of course. Why didn't I think of that?

I use Verizon.

Phonescoop sounds good and I'll definitely give it a try. But what I've found over recent years is that user response has been fairly understandable and reliable. I always look for the most critical reviews first and see if any of those issues are ones that would concern me. But it's recommendations such as the one below for Kyocera that I really find useful.

Collapse -
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 19, 2013 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Duh!

The reason I mentioned it is that you might be able to narrow down a list of phones and then ask further questions about phones that interest you.

Collapse -
I'd get the Kyocera again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2013 7:22 AM PDT

But if you have used most voice enabled systems you might see what I see. They all seem to fail a lot. Better than half the time I have to cancel and try again. The Kyocera I noted is smaller than the iPhone 5 for sure but a tad thicker. For me I don't mind since the battery time is so good. I have yet to complain about the speaker volume.

Collapse -
It's the Weight That's the Big Problem
by mijcar / June 19, 2013 9:46 AM PDT

Both the phone's and my own.

I've finally lost my waistline which means my pants don't really want to stay in place despite the tightness of my belt. Embarrassing to mention, but even more embarrassing when I'm running to catch a plane and holding my pants up on the way because I had to remove my belt to get through security and had 5 minutes until scheduled departure!

It's the weight of the iPhone that proved the real problem.

Considering that and how little use I have for its more lauded extras, I've decided to research more practical models. I also hoped to find a bunch of like-minded individuals who wish to minimize total device-impact by truly partitioning the devices by benefits provided. My wife recently got an iPad and within a short time began using her iPhone for almost only phonecalls and texting. So why pay for anything else or have to deal with the bulkiness? (Although I do prefer taking pictures on the iPhone instead of the iPad.)

Anyway, this discussion has least sputtered to somewhat of a life.

And I did catch the plane, although they had to re-open the doors they had just closed.

Collapse -
I'm trying to figure out...
by Pepe7 / June 19, 2013 3:04 PM PDT

...what your waistline and the weight of the iPhone 5 have to do with one another(?)

Collapse -
That market is not a large one for 'small' smartphones
by Pepe7 / June 19, 2013 3:02 PM PDT

Truth be told, if it were, there would be a massive influx of devices as such in the marketplace. Don't for a moment think that these handset manufacturers wouldn't jump a country mile to produce/sell more phones like you have described if that's what a significant amount of people wanted. How do I know this, you may be asking? FWIW, my wife's firm produces parts that are present in several of the major handsets you see in the wild. Their parts used to be in even more phones when Nokia ruled the roost, but that's another discussion ;). Anyway, these guys do their research as far as what the marketplace wants, without a doubt. 3" screens just don't do well anymore when they test in focus groups. We have jumped to a more multimedia-rich experience on the majority of (current) devices, driving the marketplace towards handsets w/ screen sizes that display such content better. Making one that is designed only for reading text messages on a more compact screen right now is almost stepping back three or four years when such 'quick messaging' phones (with LCD screens) were somewhat new products.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that anyone would feel the iPhone 5 is a heavy device. The 4 is much more significant weight-wise to me. It's almost like it went on a great diet and lived in Bora Bora for a year ;).

You might look at the Samsung S3 Mini too. But you would have to change carriers since Verizon is CDMA/LTE and that's a GSM/UMTS model.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.