Cameras

General discussion

Lens from SLR to use on DSLR (Nikon)

by twinnings / February 16, 2011 5:23 PM PST

hello all,

I have a Nikon SLR, and I plan to buy a Nikon DSLR, but I have some budget restrictions. Which would be the cons of using the old lens on the DSLR for a while?

Many thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lens from SLR to use on DSLR (Nikon)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lens from SLR to use on DSLR (Nikon)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
old lens on DSLR: depends on what model and what lens
by Joliet Eddie / February 17, 2011 1:47 AM PST

Depending on the lens and model of Nikon, you will probably not have autofocus or auto exposure controls, etc. Nikon has information on their website about what lenses can be used with what models. Also, newer lenses have optics that take advantage of newer glass and computerized design systems and are designed specifically for digital cameras. Of course there are older classic lenses that have great optics that will perform optically just great, but you may be doing manual focus and exposures.

Collapse -
re: old lens on DSLR: depends on what model and what lens
by twinnings / February 17, 2011 9:48 PM PST

Thanks a lot, i'll check Nikon's site for lens-camera matching! I'm able to live with just manual adjustments for a little while Happy

Collapse -
In fact,
by jump1127 / February 19, 2011 9:12 PM PST

the newer lens are designed properly to fit DSLR better than the older lens. The DSLR sensor is more sensitive to lighting than the old SLR film. The old lens when using on the conventional SLR camera may not reveal all flare and ghosting, unlike the old lens when using on the newer DSLR camera. In term of sharpness, old Nikon lens, even prime lens, aren't so sharp, comparing to recent Nikon Nano lens. The new lens are designed to be used on the new DSLR camera upto 30MP. In addition to that, color characteristics and lens vignet are also considerable. The newer lens are better designed than the older lens. You don't have to go for the expensive Nano lens, just some kit lens, such as 18-105mm lens. Good luck.

Collapse -
Hi Jump
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 19, 2011 11:20 PM PST
In reply to: In fact,

We have missed you most of this new year.
Good to have your knowledgeable input again.
What have you been doing lately?

Joe

Collapse -
Hi Joe...
by jump1127 / February 20, 2011 11:16 PM PST
In reply to: Hi Jump

Sorry that I've been away for a while. I always enjoy sharing some inputs. Any way, I've been a bit busy with my business and travelled a lot lately. I just went to southern Laos and India in the past few months. India was so disappointed, strongly not recommended to anyone who wants to go there. I'll be around. Nice to hear from you Joe.

Collapse -
In fact
by twinnings / February 20, 2011 8:11 PM PST
In reply to: In fact,

manual adjustments could be fine, but damaging picture quality in so many ways makes it a worthless compromise.
thanks for the valuable details and advice, I'll take it Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.