Computer Help forum

Question

[Lenovo z500] Windows 7 drivers not working

by Vallen16 / February 27, 2013 7:47 AM PST

Hello

I just bought a Lenovo z500 and formatted it to get windows 7. I downloaded all the drivers from lenovos driver site (The right drivers!) I copied them with a usb-pen and tried to install them on my z500, the bluetooth driver worked, the rest of them gave me different kinds of error messages all saying something like "Driver not compatible for this system" or stuff like that. I have downloaded the drivers several times and tried with different copies of windows 7. Nothing worked.

Is it impossible to get windows 7 for my z500 - meaning am I forced to use windows 8?

And if so does my z500 remember my product key, because I can't seem to find on the back of the computer, like I'm used to.

Help please.

Tobias Jensen, Denmark.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: [Lenovo z500] Windows 7 drivers not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: [Lenovo z500] Windows 7 drivers not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You should ask Lenovo
by wpgwpg / February 27, 2013 8:14 AM PST

You can get the best answer from Lenovo, since they know the most about that particular computer. However I've seen a good number of reports here from folks who've tried doing what you did and run into similar problems. The problems are related to the BIOS and the way the hard drives are set up. If you put Windows 8 back on that computer, install Start8 or Classic Start, and it'll take a lot of the pain of Windows 8 away. They give you the old Start menu back with the look and feel of most Windows 7 features.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Thanks + question
by Vallen16 / February 27, 2013 9:03 AM PST
In reply to: You should ask Lenovo

Ok thanks alot for the answer.

Do you know more about what might be the problem with how the hard drive has been set up? What should I look for etc. ?

Collapse -
It has to do with a new BIOS architecture
by wpgwpg / February 27, 2013 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks + question

I've seen Bob Proffitt post comments about it, but don't remember specifics. A couple of months ago, I had a chat with Dell's tech support and was told they don't use it yet, but some of the Asian folks do. You probably know Lenovo is a Chinese company. I believe the architecture is called EFI. You can read about it in Wikipedia here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=efi+bios&title=Special%3ASearch&fulltext=1

Good luck.

Collapse -
Here's some info from the Z500 user guide
by wpgwpg / February 27, 2013 11:11 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks + question

If you look on page 20 of your user guide, you'll see the following:
<div>"
20Chapter 4. TroubleshootingBIOS setup utility</div>What is the BIOS setup utility?
The BIOS setup utility is a ROM-based software program. It displays basic computer information and provides options for setting boot devices, security, hardware mode, and other user preferences.
How can I start the BIOS setup utility?To start the BIOS setup utility:
1Shut down the computer.
2Press the Novo button and then select BIOS Setup.
How can I change the boot mode?
There are two boot modes: UEFI and Legacy. To change the boot mode, start the BIOS setup utility and set boot mode to UEFI or Legacy support on the boot menu.
When do I need to change the boot mode?
The default boot mode for your computer is UEFI mode. If you choose to install a legacy Windows operating system (that is, any operating system prior to Windows Cool on your computer, you must change the boot mode to Legacy support. A legacy Windows operating system cannot be installed until you change the boot mode.

Collapse -
EFI is FUN.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2013 12:18 PM PST

Thanks for that detail. As more folk stub their toes on EFI, they learn why I like it so much.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.