Laptops forum

General discussion

Lenovo Y510 hinge problem

by claude61225 / May 3, 2010 9:03 PM PDT

Many owners of Lenovo IdeaPad Y510 have problems with broken plastic on the right hinge and I'm the one of those very disappointed owners as well. I'm extremely gentle with my laptop and this is obviously a design flaw and Lenovo service asks for money to fix it. And things to be worse,Lenovo doesn't have any authorized service center in my country. Is there any way to glue or fix this cracks ?? I can't send pictures here to explain where exactly the cracks are. Help !!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lenovo Y510 hinge problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lenovo Y510 hinge problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2010 9:37 PM PDT

There's a lesson here. I still see folk picking up a laptop by the screen display or lid. These devices are not made for such users and they will pay the price. As to glue, I have yet to see any authorized repair method.

Collapse -
by mowerdude / October 25, 2010 9:38 AM PDT

I didn't pick the leNOvo up by its screen or anything of the sort. The shoulder strap on the carrying case slipped off my wife's shoulder and caused the problem.

My gripe is that leNOvo would not even sell replacement cases for the Y510 as they claimed it is a "Consumer Item" and therefore, no parts are available(?). They would, however, have been happy to allow me to pay a total of around $500.00 to repair the unit, for which I paid a bit over $600.00. I have the original on my bench in the shop and have poured epoxy in the area where the hinge mounts are broken. If the unit does not operate when I finally reassemble it, I'll buy a Cam-corder and make a video of the unit's being subjected to a blast of either 12 Gauge "00 Buckshot" or a Deer Slug!

Nice computer. Too bad it's a throw-away!

I was really irritated when the little Communists at leNOvo treated me as if I were trying to get parts under warranty! I had read that the Communists in the Kremlin were paranoid, so I guess it's a trait.

Collapse -
Here's the real deal
by jwojewidka / December 24, 2010 6:18 AM PST

I have one, too, and with the same hinge problem. Had the unit for going on three years and it got progressively worse. If you call Lenovo's support number (877.453.6686) and your computer falls within a serial number range they deemed affected by the bad design, they will fix it for free.

That comment about picking the notebook by the lid was seriously ignorant. There's a lesson to be learned about saying things out of left field, bud.

Collapse -
Sorry that was a pitch to right field.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2010 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: Here's the real deal

After too many sightings of that handling error you have to call them out.

Collapse -
Fair enough
by jwojewidka / December 25, 2010 1:50 AM PST

You're right about that, Bob. It's just in this case, for some time, Lenovo ignored this design problem and created a lot of anti-Lenovo fans, me included. We are *always* careful with our tech and this was a major disappointment. Having to relegate the thing to a desk, or even thinking of tossing it as many people mentioned, are bad-worse options.

For the record, the Y510 has another problem: the fan intake gets clogged very quickly and must be cleaned out or the system can overheat. The fan works at increasingly higher speeds, which is annoying in itself. The intake is simply badly designed.

Normally, if stuff is treated right, it will provide *many* years of good service. Listen to Bob!

Collapse -
About the intake vents.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2010 1:56 AM PST
In reply to: Fair enough

I find that most laptop owners are unaware that cleaning the vents is a yearly task. But then we hear folk calling that a design flaw.

So far not one laptop I've seen has the vent gets clogged flaw.

Collapse -
Lenovo Y510 hinge problem
by sandykolu / January 7, 2011 1:47 AM PST
In reply to: Here's the real deal

Hi jwojewidka,
I have a similar hinge problem with my Y510. I tried calling the customer support(877-453-6686) but they refused to fix the problem since my laptop was not under warranty. I spoke to their supervisor too but that did not help either. If its a design flaw I am expecting it to get fixed. Can you please confirm whether your Y510 was under warranty and how long back has it been fixed for you. The supervisor mentioned that they found the problem in Feb 2009 and it was fixed for all users then which I think is all made up since that was the date my warranty expired.
I will never buy a lenovo product again.

Collapse -
No resolution
by jwojewidka / January 7, 2011 3:48 AM PST

Hi Sandy,

My Y510 is very much out of warranty, but I did make several phone calls, anyway. They will not fix it unless I pay for the repair, which would be about $175. I, too, will never by a Lenovo product again. They claim they repaired all of the units that were affected and had contact everyone who fell within a series of serial numbers. Mine, apparently, did not qualify. That is utter nonsense. Our system stayed on a desk most of the time and was never abused or dropped. In fact, except for this problem, it still looks new.

Bye, bye, Lenovo!

Collapse -
Lenovo Laptop hinge problem
by ndejesu / November 22, 2011 3:35 AM PST

I bought a Lenovo laptop and not even 2 months went by before the left hinge started separating. We continued to use the laptop until I finally took it into Frys (where I bought it) and they said that it probably would be covered under manufacturers warranty. I took it to the Lenovo repair center and they said that it was customer-induced and will not play for it. The small screw that holds then hinge strips very easily and is the cause of this design flaw. They wanted to charge me 187.50 to repair it - I guess this is a good case for small claims court.

Collapse -
Sorry to read this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2011 10:28 AM PST

But waiting when you see this is not helping. Let's hope more read this and report problems when they see them and not delay.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.