Laptops forum

General discussion

Lenovo Y410; No sound from speakers. Help!

by victor-bailey / September 29, 2009 4:36 AM PDT

I will make this short and sweet. I have a lenovo Y410 with XP Pro SP3. It has worked fine for the past year and then about a month ago the on board speakers stopped emitting sound. I can still plug in headphones or external speakers and get sound though so I know the sound card is working. I tried reinstalling the driver many times and tweaking all the settings in Windows and the Realtek Sound managers. I cannot be sure but it seems like the speakers stop working after a Windows Security update. I have tried to restore my system to an earlier date using Windows Restore, but that too does not work anymore. I thought that the speakers themselves might actually be defective, but I can rule that out because I also have Ubuntu installed on this system and the on board speakers work fine in Ubuntu.

So there's my problem. I know my speakers work and the driver and sound card also work, but I still can't get any sound from my speakers. How weird is that? Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lenovo Y410; No sound from speakers. Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lenovo Y410; No sound from speakers. Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I still need help!
by victor-bailey / October 2, 2009 7:26 AM PDT

Does anyone have any suggestion to help me? I have reached a dead end. Thanks

Collapse -
The usuals.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2009 11:02 AM PDT
In reply to: I still need help!

I know this issue. It's either a bad jack or a bad OS load. Neither seem to be acceptable answers to most members.

Collapse -
Bad OS load.
by victor-bailey / October 3, 2009 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: The usuals.

I don't think that people reject the idea of a a bad OS load, it's just that everybody knows that you can solve virtually any software problem by reinstalling windows. I mean, name a software (diver) problem that can't be solve by a fresh install of Windows? Since most people already know that they can solve their problem by doing a complete reinstall of windows, the fact that they are coming to this forum for help, says that they are looking for an alternate solution. One that is not going to cost them the next three days of their life. In my experience, there is always someone who knows how to fix the problem without reinstalling windows, but that is always a last resort.

Collapse -
With malware damage running deeper than ever.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2009 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Bad OS load.

And customers that will not pay for the 2 to 3 hours of work to remove then repair the OS damage the OS reload is now the first rather than the last resort.

Why? It's the money. If no one pays, we don't do the search, destroy and repair of the OS.

To make matters worse, your name brand machines often don't supply an OS CD that allows us to repair the OS!

Hope this explains why you see more and more often the OS gets reloaded.

Collapse -
This appears to be a
by victor-bailey / October 4, 2009 1:24 PM PDT

touchy subject with you. I don't mean to seem ungrateful, but I really did come here for a solution and not to be drawn off into a debate about whether people should constantly be prepared to reinstall their OS instead of coming to this forum to look for an alternate solution. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Collapse -
If loading drivers from Toshiba doesn't help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2009 1:33 PM PDT
In reply to: This appears to be a

Then there's not much else that can be done except try a boot to safe mode and remove the sound card from device manager and then try the drivers again.

I hear you but the brutal truth is a bitter pill here. I didn't create the issues and no one else stepped up to give you another answer. I offered the usual cure and why it is so. Sorry that it seemed uncaring or such.

Here we can hand out the free answers so here's wishing you get some other ideas.

Collapse -
Are you even reading my post?
by victor-bailey / October 4, 2009 2:13 PM PDT

I would not even have wasted my time by responding to you, but where in the heck did I say I had a TOSHIBA laptop. I have a Lenovo, not a Toshiba. Also, in a funny kind of why you accidentally suggested something I had not tried and that is the safe mode boot and driver install. It was for these kinds of suggestion that I came here in the first place.

I know that I came here for free advice and I really do appreciate the fact that you spend your precious time answering the hoards of laptop questions that come at you. You have probably been doing this for a long time and your experience has taught you that in most cases it will actually save time and money if you use the Ballistic Missile approach to solving tech problems; which to simple blow the problem up and start over. This technique is especially true when come to laptops, because they are not standardized like desktops, and because they are getting so cheap. And laptop speakers, being so poor to start with, are probably the least important component. In most case you need external speaker anyway. I understand all this OK. In truth it really isn't worth yours or my time to solve this problem. So why I am I here? I am here because in trying to solve these seemingly unimportant problems, we all gain knowledge and understanding that we can use in other areas and to help others. And knowledge and understanding are worth the effort even if nothing else is.

I want apologize if offended you. Thank you for your hard work. Good luck.

Collapse -
Here's some test methods.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2009 10:02 PM PDT

1. Why we are here.
Because you needed other ideas or such. It's either the OS load or a bum jack. Both failures may be unacceptable.

2. What are you doing to test that it's not the jack?

Here's my test -> UBUNTU BOOTABLE CD. I don't have to install that, but it makes a fine test for most machines to sniff out if it's the OS or the hardware.

3. The OS test is done like this:
We swap in another hard drive, run the restore media as another test for the hardware.

WHY WE DO THAT IS THIS -> The motherboards are expensive and almost no one replaces a jack or attempts a motherboard repair for simple reasons. The customer would want a year warranty. So we're back to whole board replacement.

I don't see where I noted any make yet. The advice is generic.

Collapse -
1. I have already stated in my first post that
by victor-bailey / October 4, 2009 10:43 PM PDT

I have used Ubuntu to test that the jack or the speakers are not faulty.

2. I have already stated that this system worked fine for over a year, so it is not a bad OS load.

3. I have already stated that I suspect that I suspect that the problem was caused by a windows critical update.

If you would just read what I have written, this would be a lot easier.

Collapse -
Read it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2009 11:07 PM PDT

My advice is generic and may REPEAT what you have already done. This is all volunteer so I'll share what I do and leave it at that.

At this point you have nailed it to be a driver or OS issue.

Let's look at how driver install order matters by reading

-> XP requires that MS UAA package to be installed before the audio driver. And what wipes us out is that the laptop makers do not offer any method, procedure to fix it if we get it wrong or it fails later.

Drop the ire. I'm here to discuss this issue. This is not tech support.

Collapse -
Thanks for the help
by victor-bailey / October 4, 2009 11:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Read it.

over and out.

Collapse -
off this topic
by dsboni / October 7, 2009 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the help

Saw an earlier post of yours wanting a phone that combined the awesomeness of Palm TX and a phone. I am still in the same position. Hanging on to my Palm that controls/organizes/contains my life and a regular old phone. this is complicated by the fact that I am on Verizon and can't leave for a variety of reasons.
With all the new phones coming out, I am totally confused and since the Palm still works, I can wait.
Have you solved this problem or do you see an up-coming phone solving this for you?

Collapse -
Lenovo Y410; No sound from speakers - a solution
by brooks70459 / September 26, 2010 1:47 AM PDT

Download and install DriverFetch (there is a fee)

Go to Device Manager in the Devices and Printers window.

Expand the Sound, video and game controllers;
Delete the existing sound controller (device driver)

Expand the Systems devices tab and delete the High Definition Audio controller.

You should have sound.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.