PC Hardware forum

Question

Lenovo boot problem

by pookie954 / March 2, 2013 6:17 AM PST

I've got a Lenovo 3000 H210 that will not boot. When I press the power button, the light comes on and the fan starts up for a few seconds and then stops and the power light turns off. The fan comes back on for a few seconds, and then off again. I checked all of the connections inside the tower. All were secure. So I started to disconnect cables and try to boot. After disconnecting the P2 cable (labeled as 12v power connector), the power stayed on. What do I need to replace??

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lenovo boot problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lenovo boot problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If it was just a loose power connector,...
by wpgwpg / March 2, 2013 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: Lenovo boot problem

you might've fixed the problem by reseating that power connector. However if the problem comes back, you could have a failing power supply. They do age over time. How old is that computer?

Collapse -
Lenovo 3000 H210 boot problem
by pookie954 / March 2, 2013 6:32 AM PST

Computer is from 09 I believe. When I plug that connector back in, problem returns.

Collapse -
Specs from c|net
by mchainmchain / March 2, 2013 8:37 PM PST
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/lenovo-3000-h210-5355aeu/4507-3118_7-33544784.html

Original PSU rated at 280 watts.

You need to test your psu voltage output with a digtal multimeter. Analog multimeters are not as accurate, and depending on the circuit being tested, can cause damage if used to check and done improperly.

Standard 12 + volt range tolerance: 11.2 - 12.6 volts Anything outside of this range is out of specs and may result in a system that does not start.

Aging psu's will put out less stable power over time; higher gamer psu's rated at 800 watts when new will put out up to less than half that in two or three years, depending on quality of manufacture and type of use/demands.

A failing or failed psu can cause damage to the motherboard, hard drives, other peripherals, and even cause corruption of some files in the resident operating system.

So, the next task should be to back up all important files on the dead computer using your second computer to copy and transfer your files to two different medias for your backup purposes. You do that by removing the hard drive from the dead computer and connect it to the working one via an USB external drive enclosure.

Good program for checking various hardware parameters on a running system here: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php Numbers displayed here within the program are very close but not 100% accurate; use a digital multimeter to get an exact number.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.