Tablets

Question

Lenovo A2109 vs Acer Iconia A110, tablets

by waterstruck / November 17, 2012 8:29 AM PST

I have it boiled down to two tablets, Lenovo A2109, 9" or the 7" Acer Iconia A110. They both have pretty much everything the same, expandable memory and and HDMI out and when the Leonovo is on sale they are about the same price. The most obvious difference besides price, but like I said above, the prices can be close, is the lenovo is 9" and the Acer is 7" and then the Lenovo has 16 GB of memory and the Acer only has 8GB. After that the Lenovo has Ice Cream Sandwich and the Acer has Jelly bean. So with all that being said is it better to have the Lenovo with a 9" screen, 16 GB of memory and Ice Cream sandwich, or the Acer with the Jelly bean OS, 7" screen, and only 8 GB of memory?

Any in put would be greatly appreciated...

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lenovo A2109 vs Acer Iconia A110, tablets
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lenovo A2109 vs Acer Iconia A110, tablets
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tough call.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2012 10:00 AM PST

For me I'm getting lucky as the office is supplying the Nexus 7 next week. There are some purists or such that must have expandable memory so they can't get such a leading edge model but ICS is nice but I'd like to see them at the latest OS.

Can you share some of you expectations for this tablet?
Bob

Collapse -
Expectations of tablet.
by waterstruck / November 17, 2012 12:14 PM PST
In reply to: Tough call.

I want a tablet on the smaller side so no 10" for me. I also want all the features if I am going to buy one. Two things that I was looking for were expandable memory and then an HDMI out. It is very hard to find both of these on a 7" tablet so I figured I would go up a little in size so hence the 9" Lenovo. I was originally looking at teh Samsung Galaxy 7" but it doen't have a HDMI out.
Funny thing is the 7" tablet I want to get for my kids ( Nabi 2) has it all, HDMI, Expandable memory, Tegra3 processor and Ice Cream Sandwich. I laughed and said maybe I should get one for me.

Collapse -
The HDMI is one of those things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2012 12:33 PM PST

Only recently did I use it on my KF HD. Nice that it's the first time I've seen playback without the usual issues. Let's hope you know what I'm talking about.

Why I asked is that some folk are trying to replace a laptop with these things and coming away bruised.
Bob

Collapse -
Like the KF HD
by waterstruck / November 17, 2012 11:31 PM PST

I would have also bought the KF HD, beautiful screen with HDMI but no expandable memory. Not sure about the whole proprietory issue though. I like the thought of Amazon Prime for movies etc. Do you have it? if so do you like it ?

Collapse -
Yes we have it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2012 1:13 AM PST
In reply to: Like the KF HD

Next week we'll have the Nexus 7 on hand as well.

The issue of expandable memory is a non-issue from what I see. It's rough to write up how it works where the players download as needed and shuffle things around between cloud and onboard.

BUT it is going in the direction I thought it would. That is, when you go play stuff you are given a choice to play from cloud or download locally and play as it downloads. I can't write in long detail or be very specific as this changes from app to app but it's a GOOD THING to see folk implementing ideas we have been kicking around the office.

What office? Just where I work where we are doing some Android apps.
Bob

Collapse -
More questions
by waterstruck / November 24, 2012 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: Yes we have it.

I am just trying to understand all of this so I have some questiosn if you don't mind? So are you saying to not worry about the amount of memory or expandable memory because everyone is going toward the use of cloud space where you can do everything from the cloud? Does that mean you wouldn't be downloading apps to the unit but keep them in a cloud? I had thought the more memory the better to download more and more apps whether they are games or othere stuff.

I have looked at the Kindle Fire HD's 7" and 8.9" per your comments on how nice they are, and that it does have and HDMI and I must say they are beautiful. When I was researching some of the reviews some were great and some were negative, ie, too proprietory OS, so it is hard to use non Amazon apps, hard to use e-mail, someone said it did not come with a charger. I really like the KF HD but don't want to be restricted with my use. Will I be. WIll I have trouble doing certain things. I want to use the unit to surf the web, all websites not just Amazons, purchase things from any website, Skype, e-mail, use the HDMI for netflix, or just about any other streaming web site, even HBO GO, read books, etc, etc.

As far as Amazon Prime goes do you get additional use or features if you are using it with a KF vs other brands? When I looked at the features about Prime under the features of buying the KF HD it says it comes with the lending library with no due dates etc, but when you go to just reasearching Prime without buying the KF it says you get one free book borrow a month.

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Hard to pick out the questions but an update and I'll try.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2012 12:55 AM PST
In reply to: More questions

The Nexus 7 arrived and a Transformer with the keyboard is in shipping.

Storage.

I can't tell you your choice. Here I can get by just fine with the units because I have other options. We can also put files on a drive on the local network. -> What I do encounter are folk that want to carry their life's collection of MP3 and video with them. For those folk, they'll have to get what they want. There is no discussion with them.

KF 7, 8.9 "Proprietary"?

If you research this you find there are ways to side load apps. But I fear this is another area where if you want Android THE OS and nothing less, you won't buy this. However it's a great unit, plays 1080p in the big screen far better than any other device I've seen to date. -> Bottom line. Depends on what you want.

Amazon Prime other features?

There's a lot of video content and more that you get for your Prime account. Free 2 day shipping and well, I won't go further on that. It's nice to have all of many old shows just a few taps away. -> The KF HD 7 is now part of the home HD system.

Hope this helps.
Bob

Collapse -
kindle fire hd
by evlucy / December 7, 2012 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: Like the KF HD

amazon is about as proprietary as you can get. Only mobi format for books - if that is what you are using it for.

Collapse -
I own that one too. But didn't feel it was that closed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: kindle fire hd

Do you own one so you can see what you can do?

If not, that's OK. I find that folk can't drive it around to see what it does.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.