Samsung forum

General discussion

Length of M8 Bolts for Wall Mounting LN46A550 LCD TV?

by jakewho / December 14, 2008 5:58 AM PST

I am attempting to wall mount my new LN46A550 and I am having trouble determining the right length M8 bolt to use. The bolts which came with the TV are ~ 16mm in length and they are way too short. I can't even get the threads to begin to engage, when I put the mounting bracket on the back of the tv and try and put the bolt through the bracket (and the bracket seems to be a normal thickness).

The rack I bought comes with 16mm and 40mm length bolts. As mention above, the 16mm bolts are way too short, but the 40mm bolts are way too long.

Does anyone know the correct length bolt?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Length of M8 Bolts for Wall Mounting LN46A550 LCD TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Length of M8 Bolts for Wall Mounting LN46A550 LCD TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Length of bolts...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 14, 2008 3:46 PM PST

Unfortunately I can't really recommend anything as it pertains to installations. I'm sorry, Michael, I'd hate to be wrong and have your television fall.

Forum members, can we help out? Does anyone know?

Collapse -
Why is Samsung 'non-standard' on the hardware?
by mconsumer / February 23, 2013 8:34 AM PST
In reply to: Length of bolts...

Had no problems with Vizio or Phillips. So you won't provide info on screws to use to wall mount? This tv is going back to Costco despite the deep discount they had on this model. I will pick up something that from a manufacturer that takes no joy in making things difficult for its customers.

Collapse -
Re: What info do you need?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 26, 2013 7:32 AM PST

Hi mconsumer,

I'd be more than happy to assist you, but it might be best to start a need thread and mention the model code and what info you need as this thread is really old.

Collapse -
I had this same problem ...
by gradja / December 20, 2008 10:00 PM PST

I've purchased 2 Samsungs which I've bought wall mounts for. The first was easy to put up. The second was difficult for the reasons you stated. I believe this is an issue with the company that made the wall mount. They're not supply the necessary h/w. My first one was a Peerless, the second was from Cheetah.

Anyway, back to your problem. My suggestion would be to try going to Lowe's or Home Depot to see if they have the bolts you need. Outside of that, return the mount and get a Peerless mount. I was very satisfied with mine.

I prefer the Peerless, not only because of ease of installation, but the fact that it allows tilting up to access cable inputs. I was saved by the Peerless install since it came with a number of extra bolts which I was able to use for the Cheetah mount.

Collapse -
Bolt length
by Dan Filice / December 30, 2008 9:13 AM PST

Not sure if this is what you were asking in your original post, but if you need to determine the correct bolt length for the bolt holes in the back of your TV, use a toothpick or straw to place them in the bolt holes in the back of your TV and mark the depth with a marker. This will be the maximum length and you do NOT want to go longer. The thickness of the wall mount should keep the bolt from threading all the way in.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.